The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Place to train doves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
I have been wanting a place to train the doves properly for fly back and don't have a room in my house suitable for this and am not a handyman at all to build anything.

But with a big backyard, I was thinking of getting this portable garage being only $239.00 and is just big enough, about 16 1/2 ft by 10 1/2 ft
http://www.harborfreight.com

Picure here:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/di......er=42211

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
Illusionist11
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Illusionist11
That looks perfect...Plus no perches for them to perch anywhere else but you..
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mike, a portable garage will work but let me ask you a question. Where do you practice with your doves now? There are all sorts of solutions for training such as tossing the dove into a corner, or hanging a dark curtain in place of a wall. I trained my birds to fly back in my crowded basement. A pretty sure way of training is to not feed the bird for a day and then gradually work into the toss out while holding some seed. It will learn to turn and fly back to your hand with the seed. It will soon do it without the bribe.
Where the magic begins
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
I am already familiar with the how of training, just need the place. There is only one "bird" room in the house and it is not big enough for flight training. Doves landing on kitchen counters, couches and beds is not my thing which is why I gave them their own room. I am trying to venture into the big backyard since it is hardly ever used.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
The room for flight training really doesn't have to be very big. All you need is about 10 feet. It's not the distance of the throw that makes a difference but the fact that it knows to turn. Once it has the knowledge to turn and return to you, you can toss it out as far or as near as you want.

It really needs to learn to turn and return with objects in the area. A stage suitable for the toss will have props, people, chandeliers, tables, chairs and such and if the dove has learned to turn and return with objects in the vicinity, you've got it made.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
For many years, the Master Bath was my training room.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com