The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Do male rabbits "spray"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
On another thread, Regan points to advantages of having males over females. My breeder recommended a female for my first rabbit about 18 months ago. My rabbit is smart and curious but also sometimes a little moody. The breeder said males can be less complicated (I have not spayed my rabbit - who lives alone as rabbits seem to like to - and am not going to pay the $400). However, the breeder also said males spray a musk. Have those of you who own males found that to be the case? In general, do you find males easier, or are there other advantages to female rabbits. I have a Chocolate Dutch, but suppose this question would apply to most or all rabbit breeds.

Thanks.
mrmagic9112
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of mrmagic9112
I have a male dutch and a male brown velevet type ( not sure which breed) of rabbit. They are kept apart and yes they do spray. It is usually when they urinate.Mine are kept out doors and during the winter I bring them in on real cold days to the basement and I have seen the stains on the basement walls. I just used bleach water to clean and all was fine. I now have a shed and two hutches and that will help this winter.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
The main reason to neuter a doe is to minimize reproductive cancer. This cancer takes the lives of countless rabbits.

An average charge of $250.00 for a Doe and $150.00 would be more the norm.

Rabbits have no "musk" gland and both males and females "can" spray but are more apt to "chin" things to mark them. They will do the chinning thing when anything new comes into their living quarters.

Bob