The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: When do doves start to reproduce (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Vaughn Ver Steegt
View Profile
New user
Janesville, Iowa
56 Posts

Profile of Vaughn Ver Steegt
At what age do doves start to mate/reproduce? I had two babies hatch last year. I don't know if they are male or female and was wondering when they will start to lay eggs or try and mate with the other doves I have.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Usually doves can start laying eggs at a few months old or so but in most cases, they will not be fertile. Even if they happened to hatch, a bird that young will not be able to care for the babies. Mating is something that is done for life. They may or may not mate with the doves you have. At one time, I had over 30 birds and a few of them never mated. Later, I matched those few up with a few new birds and they mated right away. You just never know.
Where the magic begins
Vaughn Ver Steegt
View Profile
New user
Janesville, Iowa
56 Posts

Dave,thanks for the info. I guess nature will have to take it's course and I'll see what happens. I had heard before that the birds mate for life but what happens if one of the pair dies? Do I have a widow for life or do they start looking for a new mate? The reason I am asking is because the mother of the 2 doves that hatched last year died about a month after the last bird was born. So I figure at least one of the males knows what he is suppose to do. So is it possible he will hook up again?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Absolutely. Nature will take it's course and if he sees a desireable female...well you get the idea.
Where the magic begins
Vaughn Ver Steegt
View Profile
New user
Janesville, Iowa
56 Posts

Dave, Good news, nature has taken it's course. One of the doves hatched a newborn this morning. She was feeding it so that is exciting! I guess they haven't forgotten what to do after the sun goes down.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
And now the fun begins. You'll be amazed at how fast that little one grows. In a few days, you believe it was able to come out of such a small egg.
Where the magic begins
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of knmagic
It's totally a fascinating experience watching the chick grows. You can see it grows every day. Watch out as soon as the baby has enough feathers, the pair will mate again and start to lay egg even the chick just barely knows how to eat by itself.
magicodine
View Profile
Loyal user
italy
202 Posts

Profile of magicodine
That's true... it's unbelievable, less that 40 days ago a baby dove was born and now it's already as big as the parents... and two more baby doves came to life yesterday and today