The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Approaching Dove Parenthood (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
My doves currently have two eggs beneath them.

I know it takes from 16-21 days to hatch.

But do the doves start displaying any unusual behavior before the babies hatch?

In other words, are there any indications when the day is drawing near?

Thanks,
Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
I have never actually seen them hatch. Maybe Bob or Dave can pass on any info.

I have a pair that has been mating for over a year and a half and I have yet to see the female lay an egg either. It seems to always happen during the night.

Good luck as there is a higher rate of non-survival than I would have figured.

James
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hi Tod. There really isn't too much indication, but as James says, it usually happens during the night when you can catch the event. Usually, during the day when they hatch, the female will be sitting on the hatching egg and you may catch a glimpse of something pink, but that is about all you will see. The reason for this is because when the little ones are coming out, they have to strengthen their legs and muscles, and while the parents WON'T help the hatchling come out, they still protect during the daylight hours. Sometimes in the evening you will see a hatchling half out of the egg while the parents are just perching nearby, but this is only how nature lets the strong survive. If this is to happen to you, don't help the hatchling out of the egg. They have to do this on their own. While watching it may seem cruel, its just how nature works.

On a behavioral point of view of the doves, sometimes they will both see to be sitting on the nest next to each other. This is usually indication that the egg is hatching or about to hatch. They will do a lot of "looking" underneath and possibly fluffing some more nesting material for support under the egg. (this goes back to the strengthening of the leg muscles of the newborn.) If by chance you notice after about 28 days that neither dove is near the nest or the eggs seem to be scattered about, this mean the eggs were not fertile, and its best to throw them out or you will get a stench eventually that will curl your stomach when the egg cracks open. Sometimes even one of the doves will crack the egg with the beak. This also means that the eggs are not fertile, and best to discard them. The quicker the eggs are gone, the quicker they will try again.

In the long run, if you don't want the to lay anymore eggs, either take them out, or even purchase fake wooden small bird eggs from the craft store and put them in the nest. They will sit on them thinking they are theirs. (They aren't the smartest animal in the woods). Hope this helps you some...

-Alpha
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
I have a pair of doves that I assume to be both female and there are always eggs... but no babies.
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com