The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Shipping Doves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
Can anyone provide information regarding shipping doves? Does the USPS require a special shipping container. I had heard they do but when I called the USPS, they were unable to provide information as where I could acquire one. I am aware that shipping is overnight express but am unsure if a standard cardboard container would be accepted. Any info provided would be greatly appreciated!
Tony
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Tony,

Fortunately or unfortunately, my experience has been that the US Post Office rules are either unknown or not understood by the people who work there. Some will ship them anyway you bring them. I have twice recently received birds in just a plain cardboard box with holes in it (no screens of any sort). I have also been told that they don't don't ship birds at all.

Welcome to chaos!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
Hi Bob,
Thank you. I am rapidly learning that the members of the USPS are as overwhelmed by the numerous regulations as the general public. I will continue exploring this and report back should I actually find an answer. Thank you!
Tony
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Tony, some of us have done this research in the past. In fact there is an entire topic about it. What has been said so far is correct. Each post office works differently and none of them really know the rules. I even had my local post master send an inquiry to whoever he reports to and there was no matter of fact answer. I've never had any trouble shipping my birds in a plain box. I usually buy one from the post office and poke holes in it. I then write "live birds" on all sides. The cost is about $24 shipping anywhere in the US and while not guaranteed over night, I've only had one shipment that took longer. The box was actually lost in the mail but they found it in 4 days and made the delivery. I was tearing my hair out over concern for the birds. Fortunately, when I ship, I put enough food in the box for several days and provide enough water for them.
Where the magic begins
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
Hi Dave,
Thank you so much! I have a secure box I am preparing to use. The dove is going to a fellow member in PA. Will scure express shipping with tracking so hopefully all goes well. Thanks again for the info!
Tony
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Tony,

There is good news here too. In all my years (although I am so much younger than Dave), I have never had the P.O. fail to get the doves there in great shape. The real question is whether or not they will take them at all. I think you can count on a good job if they do take them. (The usual cost anywhere in the USA is $22-27.)

Good luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Well Bob, you may be younger than me but I've held my good looks a lot longer Smile
Where the magic begins
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Oh, Bob and Dave! Quit squabbling over beauty...You're both still cuties! Smile
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
See, Dave! She said my name first. (I hope that wasn't birth order.)

At my age, if a good looking lady will just say my name, I'll take it.

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
She's just showing respect to her elders, Bob but when it comes to beauty, we both come in second best next to Autumn.
Where the magic begins
Amyxdove
View Profile
Regular user
Andy Amyx
143 Posts

Profile of Amyxdove
If you have any questions call me. 916-607-4915 I have does method a lot.

Andy Amyx
Andy Amyx

www.andyamyx.com
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
I shipped some doves a while back and the USPS required a bio-secure shipping container that had filters over the air holes. The boxes have the words "Live Birds, Avoid direct sunlight, Keep away from cold and heat" printed on the box. They are made by Horizon Micro-Environments and their toll free number is (800) 443-2498 or http://www.hm-e.net. Of course, you then need to ship them Express Mail.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I checked with the local Post Office this week about shipping doves. The ruling I got was that you can ship fighting roosters in any container that will hold them securely. However, doves have to be shipped in a special box which is not the same one as a few months ago!

Chickens, ducks and geese can be shipped in any cardboard box with OPEN air holes cut in them. (And I also received some that way.)

This is not a confidence building process!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
I just want to hear Bob and Dave.......(don't get excited Bob, that was alphebetical order) go at it some more! Smile

Regan
Mister Mystery
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Regan, we're not going at it. We understand each other. Bob's name should always be first. That's just a sign of respect for the elderly. Smile

Your turn Bob!
Where the magic begins
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2008-01-25 17:08, Dave Scribner wrote:
Regan, we're not going at it. We understand each other. Bob's name should always be first. That's just a sign of respect for the elderly. Smile

Your turn Bob!

Oh, now I understand!

LOL
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Regan,

If you go look at the "Meet the Staff" photos, they must be in order of seniority. (Dave's is WAY up there!)

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Amyxdove
View Profile
Regular user
Andy Amyx
143 Posts

Profile of Amyxdove
Call me If you have questions. Too much to write. I have done this about 60 times now.

Andy Amyx
Andy Amyx

www.andyamyx.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2008-01-25 18:46, Bob Sanders wrote:
Regan,

If you go look at the "Meet the Staff" photos, they must be in order of seniority. (Dave's is WAY up there!)

Bob

Oh, so that's it....but wait....didn't Dave just say..... oh, nevermind. You guys are confusing me now!
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
But Regan,

At Dave's age confusion isn't unexpected. You have to be kind to grandparents.

This will be a confusing year for him anyway with the election coming. When Dave started voting, voting machines didn't exist.

Yep! Dave's first doves were probably shipped by wagon! Back then flash powder was for photography.

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com