The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Goldfish Close Up Tips (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
There seems to be a lot of interest in producing Goldfish close up, perhaps to do with David Stone including it on his new dvd?

I was interested in learning some info on handling fish, what type of fish to use, how much they cost, how long the live for, how long they last in the TT, how to transport them to a gig, etc...

Not so much the trick, bu more of the care and handling for the fish! I've never even owned a fish as a pet before, so any help would be good!
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
I bring 15 fish to each gig for big table gigs. I use gold fish (small) and sprinkle some food into the TT about half an hour before I produce it inton a glass of water (make sure it isn't lemondade). I produce them and ask if they want the fish they never say yes so I then humaenly dispose of the fish before I leave. I have a deal with fish shop for 50 fish a week and during december I use up lots.

That reminds me I must get some toilet duck
Magic1
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
408 Posts

Profile of Magic1
Chris,
Perhaps might be able to bring those fish back to the pet store instead of disposing of them. Just a thought
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Or buy another pet that eats goldfish...A turtle or something.
I hate to truly waste a life.
Gwyd
Magic1
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
408 Posts

Profile of Magic1
Yeah. what he said
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Jus a question, why cant you reuse the fish after the fish has have adequete rest?
studentoflife
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
310 Posts

Profile of studentoflife
Quote:
On 2007-12-17 10:03, gsidhe wrote:
Or buy another pet that eats goldfish...A turtle or something.
I hate to truly waste a life.
Gwyd

What kind of turtle eats goldfish?? Smile
- Y
<BR>"Nothing is difficult...it's all about what you want, and how bad you want it."
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2007-11-22 09:30, Flec wrote:
There seems to be a lot of interest in producing Goldfish close up, perhaps to do with David Stone including it on his new dvd?

I was interested in learning some info on handling fish, what type of fish to use, how much they cost, how long the live for, how long they last in the TT, how to transport them to a gig, etc...

Not so much the trick, bu more of the care and handling for the fish! I've never even owned a fish as a pet before, so any help would be good!

They sell special gimmicks for this effect. What you should do is go to the library or Pet Shop and purchase a book on goldfish. Learn about the care and feeding , then by a small goldfish bowl and set it up.

The goldfish you can use is the cheapest and smallest, they are called "feeders", food for larger fish life. When doing a stand-up show, you can use larger goldfish if they fit your need.

The hardest part of lugging around goldfish or any livestock is the transportation container. See a Sport Fishing store for these types of containers. You need something that can protect the fish in all kinds of weather and conditions and yet not spill all over the place.

Remember to treat all water with the proper chemicals the fish live and are carried in to the show. Also treat the show water as well. Replace the fish as soon as possible in your carrier. You can re-use the fish, if not given away to a spectator. When giving the fish away, always give a little "Starter Kit" to the spectator as well. These are very inexpensive at most discount stores.

Gone Fishing!
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I too can't beleieve someone would say "I kill 50 fish a week doing my magic show."

that's a bit inhumane if you ask me. Don't use any living thing in your act unless you intend to respect it as a living breathing creature of God.

Steven
Alexo
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
112 Posts

Profile of Alexo
This is why I use a Betta fish in my act instead of goldfish. One fish lasted me 3 years. Those guys you can even give away because they're the easiest to take care of. Most people who get goldfish put them in a small bowl, overfeed them, and they die in a week.

This guy is like Gali Gali, only with fish.