The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Do you let kids hold your rabbit? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Just wondering whether people do allow kids to actually hold the rabbit, or whether fears of an unpleasant contact (probably more for the rabbit), or the thought of the bunny jumping and scampering all over force the performer to hold it and allow the kids to pet, say on their way out of the show. I find that if my assistant or I move the bunny to the exit door, we can hold her, have the kids pet her on the way out, and spare a lot of scrutiny of the staging area and props.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I do not allow anyone to pick up and hold my rabbit. But I will put my rabbit on the birthday person's lap at the end of the show for a picture.
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Sometimes, when I'm done performing for a kids party or house party, I often end the show by having a little sharing session. I take my doves out and allow the kids to gently stroke the dove. One at a time. not only does it spread awareness about the care handling and love for animals, your clients are more likely to have a better liking for you. now you're going an extra mile. jus make sure you do it with close guidance.
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
Just let the kids pet the rabbit at the end. Just keep a close eye on them and tell them to be very gentle and from my experience they usually will.

Best
Brandon
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Pet yes; hold NO! Rabbits have sharp claws. With one kick they can slice away with no warning. (If you do enough shows you will eventually have a rabbit slice up your costume for you. You can't afford that happening to someone else.)

Rabbits are good about staying on a barstool (some believe that they are afraid of heights) and often behave well on the floor.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
Depends on the kids. If it is a very large group then no, no petting or holding.
Smaller groups I will pull up a chair sit down with the rabbit on my lap and let the kids pet her body, not he head.

I may also let the bday child sit in a chair and put the rabbit on the child's lap to hold for a photo.

But this depends on the temperment of the rabbit. I have had rabbits that I would never let a kid hold or pet. In that case I don't keep them long. The two I have now do not fuss scratch bite fight etc in anyway.

Also, keep toe nails trimmed before letting bunny near kids. When trimmed they are more blunt than sharp.
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
284 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
Did a bank opening last weekend twisting loons. For the last half of the job, my partner Beowulf T. Wonderbunny sat on his table to my side so that the children could give him a pet. No problems at all with the guests.

At the end of our shifts, the face-painter and I went off around the corner to have a sandwich and so that she could meet Beowulf. I went to grab a soda, and when I came back, I found the painter wiping down her shirt front with a paper towel. Gee, guess who picked up the bunny?

Meanwhile a college freshman held him for about two hours during a Welcome Class of 2011 event a few weeks back, and Beowulf couldn't have been happier. Me either.

Tom
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Wow, your rabbit sounds like a great public relations bunny to me!
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
When I used them, definitely pet but never hold. Even with trimmed nails the rabbits could scratch the daylights out of someone if they got spooked, which was most likely when an unfamiliar handler. I saw that as a law suit looking for a place to happen. Children can also get spooked and essentially throw or drop the rabbit, never good for the rabbit. I always used fairly young rabbits. When they got large, I had a deal worked with a local rabbit raiser to swap them out for younger ones. He gave me the "culls" he raised rabbits for show, and the ones he gave me lacked good markings, or some such to be show rabbits. He sold his culls as easter bunnies, for meat, and hides. He saw the whole arrangement as my paying for the feeding and raising, and he got the money for the meat and hide. So he was always more than willing to give me more young rabbits as I needed them in exchange for the well fed and cared for larger ones.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Photius,

My better experiences with rabbits have also been that way. When I lived in Arkansas there were plenty of rabbits commercially raised for Pelfreeze (rabbit meat packer). Young ones cost me $2.00. Each week or two as I finished my tour, I would change bunnies. At the last show there was usually an opportunity to present the bunny to its new owner.

We also share the same opinion about rabbit claws. They are weapons and no amount of "grooming" removes their effectiveness. It's a accident we simply don't need. I have had "well groomed" rabbits still cut my costumes with dull claws. The little guys are very strong.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
As Bob and others said, PET yes, but never HOLD! I usually use the top hat method if I let a child "hold" the rabbit. When I bring the rabbit out for petting it is usually in a top hat that is filled up about half way so he will remain visible even if he goes inside. Sometimes I will allow a child to take a picture and "help" me hold the hat, but never would I let a child hold my rabbit any other way. Tooo many things could go wrong. If the bunny gets scared, those claws are sharp and can do some damage. There is a great risk of the child and the bunny being injured. Should the bunny try to jump out or get away a child may be prone top dropping or even throwing the bunny.

Regan
Mister Mystery
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Our liability insurance will not allow anyone to touch any of our animals. So, no holding or petting. (Gee, that almost sounded rude! Smile)

All the best,

Rob
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
I always let the kids pet the rabbit on its back, not the head ... For some reason, the younger kids have a tendency to try and touch the eyes! I never let anyone hold the rabbit.

Have a nice day!

Louis Jutras
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2007-10-19 10:58, Loual4 wrote:
I always let the kids pet the rabbit on its back, not the head ... For some reason, the younger kids have a tendency to try and touch the eyes! I never let anyone hold the rabbit.

Have a nice day!

Louis Jutras

Excellent point, Louis! I do the same thing. I always instruct the kids to be very gentle and quite, and to not touch the bunny around his eyes.
Mister Mystery
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
319 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
I generally let the kids line up, right by my table after the show. They each, briefly, are allowed to pet the bird a few times and then they let the next person in line go. This works very well and have enver had the dove scared.

Just make sure you don't have the kids crowding around you all at once. Make sure it is one person at a time.

Also, yes, good to mention where they should pet it as they just love those eyes!
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I just spoke with Brad Matchett performing at the NC State Fair and learned some very interesting new developments. North Carolina has enacted "Aedin's Law" which restricts how exhibition and performance animals, including rabbits & doves, may be used at statewide agricultural fairs and festivals. All animals at these government-sponsored events must have a valid vet examination and certification every 30 days. The performer/exhibitor must then submit the animal and it's transport/holding pens and performance devices to the Dept. of Agriculture for inspection and permit issue.

Performer/exhibitors must post a sign indicating the risk factors associated with touching a live animal. If a spectator may come in contact with the animal (i.e. petting or feeding) the performer/exhibitor is required to provide an on-site running water, soap and paper towel hand washing station. Hand sanitizer and Wetnaps are not sufficient. Finally, if a spectator comes in contact with a live animal during the course of the show, the performer must immediately direct the spectator to the handwashing station before continuing.

At the State Fair there were NCDA inspectors patrolling the fairgrounds monitoring animal shows and exhibits and issuing violation notices that carried a fine up to $5000.00.

This hasn't hit the birthday market yet...but I wouldn't think it was too far off.
It's a wonder how we've survived as a species as long as we have, huh?
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2007-10-23 10:21, Skip Way wrote:

This hasn't hit the birthday market yet...but I wouldn't think it was too far off.
It's a wonder how we've survived as a species as long as we have, huh?

Yes......and how much longer we are going to survive!
Mister Mystery
SonSHINE
View Profile
New user
Mesa, Az.
37 Posts

Profile of SonSHINE
[At the State Fair there were NCDA inspectors patrolling the fairgrounds monitoring animal shows and exhibits and issuing violation notices that carried a fine up to $5000.00. ]
Can't we make them Disappear ! ! ! Smile
Quote:
You can only keep, That which you give away........
Holy Spirit
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2007-10-27 02:36, SonSHINE wrote:
[At the State Fair there were NCDA inspectors patrolling the fairgrounds monitoring animal shows and exhibits and issuing violation notices that carried a fine up to $5000.00. ]
Can't we make them Disappear ! ! ! Smile

Son, Brad tried...but the local Mafioso wanted way too much! Cement costs, dumping fees and all...
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
I always let the kids pet the rabbit on its back, not the head during the show. I explain through a humerous story the reason they can only be patted on the back and this segment is part of my performance.

I never, never let anyone hold the rabbit.

Max