The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Important lesson to learn (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Hey guys, I've jus returned from a show learning a very important lesson. I use 4 doves in my show, one which is fully flighted. the other three are not supposed to be flyback doves. Doing many open air shows, I have to have my doves' wings clipped( I choose to do so...its safer). Today jus before my show, I realized my doves' wings were fully grown back and they could fly a great distance. not wanting to take chances, I got them clipped. strangely, my doves did not perform as well as they used to . Lesson here is, If you clip your doves' wings, don't do it before a show. At least a few hours before for them to get used to it. Hope this helps. Cheers fellow brothers.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I always clip my doves wings because I do a lot of outside shows (sorry Dave). Smile I clip every other feather. But they do grow back fast. When they feel a breeze, it gives them the feeling to take off.

I have got 3 silky doves recently. I have not clipped any of their wings. But they are harder to train. At times one or two will fly off the perch doing the 50 minutes remaining of the show. One silky dove flew about 70 feet. I might have to start clippung their wings too.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Everyone knows how I feel about clipping the wings. My concern in clipping them for outdoor shows is that even though the wings are clipped, they can still fly. Being a small bird in the first place makes them vulnerable to predators and with impaired flight ability, they are easy prey for an attacker.

Clipping wings is an individual decision but I would never do it for any reason.
Where the magic begins
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On 2007-09-09 10:49, Dave Scribner wrote:
Everyone knows how I feel about clipping the wings. My concern in clipping them for outdoor shows is that even though the wings are clipped, they can still fly. Being a small bird in the first place makes them vulnerable to predators and with impaired flight ability, they are easy prey for an attacker.

Clipping wings is an individual decision but I would never do it for any reason.

On what Dave said,
if you are going to clip their wings (personal choice but I don't do it) make sure they will be performing inside away from dogs and cats. never perform bird magic outside, regardless of the conditions of the wings
-Jordan
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn! Some things are simply inappropriate. Outdoors doves are part of the food chain. I don't want to play.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It would be good for me to have a special outdoor perch. The back, sides and top can be covered. The only opening is the front. If the winds blows from behind, it will not interfere with my dove. If the wind blows from the front, it should not be willing to have her fly either. Plus the dove will not be willing to turn around like she is on the perch presently as she is in the picture below.

Thanks Alpha.

Click here to view attached image.
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
No prob Dynamike! Great outfit...you should put a Top** in that bad boy!

Orange Lemon Egg Dove!
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Doing many outdoor shows, most of the time tat is, Every dove is produced and placed into a cage or a safe recepticle ASAP. A dove is produced, flaps about 5 times, enough for the audience to see its a dove tat jus magically appeared and its immediartely put away. Frankly, the only dove that experiences more show time is the one in the dove harness...Then again...my doves wings are clipped, exept the flyback one so even if there is a mishap, my assistants are forever ready to save the day.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-09-22 17:40, 1906Alpha1906 wrote:
No prob Dynamike! Great outfit...you should put a Top** in that bad boy!

Orange Lemon Egg Dove!

You are right Alpha, that will be good. Thank you for putting me to work. Smile