The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Rabbit appearance boxes - good, bad, and ugly (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Since there are no good threads I know of on "best appearance box," and since I just got a bad one (the Abbott's Supreme Rabbit Vanish), I would like to get input and share my experience, so that we are all better informed as we showcase our bunnies.

I have Swann Doll House, Rabbit Wringer, Abbott Supreme Rabbit Vanish, and by far the best, Barry Mitchell's Presto Production Box.

The Presto Production uses black art to "appear" the rabbit right before the eyes of the spectator and is hands down the best because of the WOW factor and because I can load the rabbit in it 20-30 min beforehand without much discomfort to her. Overall rating is a 10 out of 10, as you really get a great effect for the money.

The Swann Doll House is also quite effective - and has a load area which could probably fit 2 or 3 rabbits like my six-pound Dutch. But it does not pack very flat. I still give it an 8.5 out of 10.

The Rabbit Wringer is also a good one. It allows for clever byplay and the flat rabbit gag is quite funny. Again, it does not pack overly flat, but it is a good change of prop. For the comedy possibilities and good craftmanship, I give it a 9.

The Abbott's Rabbit Vanish Supreme is way too small for even a medium-sized rabbit, and the load area would be soiled immediately and permanently if anyone actually used it for a rabbit or doves. While clever, it is not suitable for a live animal vanish or appearance and for this reason I cannot recommend it. For its utterly impractical nature, false advertising, and failure to take into account the comfort of the animal, I give it a 6 (my second, and last, dismal Abbott's purchase in recent months).

My questions are about the balloon to bunny, the zombie rabbit (Tilford), the Kaaboom box (Daytona Magic among others) and about other novel animal appearance/disappearance boxes. Anyone? Also, if you have any "dogs" to report on, please let us know so we can avoid purchasing mistakes.

Many thanks.
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
I currently use the “Flash appearance” box this is a standard mirror box, I think it was a Mak magic. But the one I use may not be on the market anymore. I rate it high on wow factor, easy to use but does not pack flat, and has the disadvantage of glass mirror. Still I use it every show.

Balloon to bunny, I have one, used it a few times, went back to the flash appearance. The balloon was just fluff, did not overly contribute to the wow factor of an empty box to rabbit. Also the mirror box has a bright inside -vs- the black inside of the balloon to bunny, and my main bunny is black, my backup bunny is white so the mirror box just looks better.

You can see a flash animation of the mirror box at my web site.

The zombie Rabbit (Tilford) I have been trying to buy one for months, but Tilford does not have them in stock and has no idea when he will have them again.

Here are a couple of others

Banner nest of Boxes – Fairchild has a set with a cage as the inside box for a cage/bunny vanish and reappear. This is on my shipping or build list for this fall.

I don't have the web site handy, but there is a nice “Rabbit out of a cannon” on the market. A bit steep on the price but looks like a winner. PM if you want me to look up the link.
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
ODYN
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of ODYN
Tora strage cage
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
My favorite is Abbott's Elusive Bunny Box.

Regan
Mister Mystery
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1654 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Hey Regan.
Whatever happened to the mail box production.
I use mine a lot---made from plastic and very durable and light.
Mumblemore, you should take a look at the mail box that Jay Leslie have for sale.
Regan bought one. Mine is made by a different supplier. That is why it is made from light plastic material.
Richard.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Hey Richard. I have not used the mailbox yet. It is actually a Chrictmas prop and decorated as such. I am working up a Christmas routine for it. Mine is metal, but it is still fairly lightweight.

I have a bunch of rabbit productions. Some are birthday or Christmas themed, and some are used for certain routines, You can't too many!

Regan
Mister Mystery
stageonstreet
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of stageonstreet
I have used the drawer box for the bunny but then it got too big for it and so now I do a Ginn esque thing and show an empty paper bag at the start of the show and then did a bag switch and showed the rabbit at the end of the show. Kinda corny...but cheap.
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
I like my mailbox to produce my bunny. Unfortunately he is a little slow coming forward towards toward the door. We are working on that.
Max
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
The best rabbit appearance box I ever had was one sort of from Abbots. I bought a trick from abbots and made the box out of the cardboard box Abbots mailed it to me in. Basically it was a variation of Squared Circle. Or at least the principle was based on the same idea, with a slanted permanent fake and a open door to look into rather than a moving one. Played very well, I produced dozens of silks from it, doves, and two rabbits. Was the best rabbit production I ever had.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1654 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Hi Max.
Try leaving the bunny inside th mail box with the door down. Eventually the bunny will move towards the light.
You can give a treat at the door---this will entice the bunny to come to the door whenever the door is down.
Sometimes the bunny will turn it's back and stay at the back. To remedy this ---just tip the box up a bit, and the bunny will turn around and walk towards the door.
They always will try to move up to the highest point
Hope this helps.
Richard (Tricky Ricky)
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Thanks Richard,
Tipping the box up a little is a great idea. It will also help in hiding the 'you know what'.
Max
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Which is the best stage rabbit production
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
In the category of “The best stage rabbit production”… the Winner Is…….

All of the ones listed above

The one that fits your style, your character and produces the reaction from the audience that you are looking for.

In other words there is no “Best”

For me I currently stick with the standard mirror box production because the routine I use with it just “Fits”
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
The best Rabbit production has to be "pulling a rabbit out of a hat" because that is what everyone asks about and associates with magic. It has captured the imagination of the general public, and has been associated with someone doing the impossible.

"I Need a bigger hat or a smaller bunny"
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1654 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On 2007-08-17 10:41, boppies2 wrote:
Thanks Richard,
Tipping the box up a little is a great idea. It will also help in hiding the 'you know what'.
Max

To hide (you know what)glue a piece of 1 inch square dowel across the front on the bottom. This will prevent anyone from seeing the secret.
Richard (Tricky Ricky)
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Richard,
Once again a great suggestion. Thank you. If I hadn't left North York I would buy you a coffee.
Max
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1654 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On 2007-08-17 13:45, btedeski wrote:
The best Rabbit production has to be "pulling a rabbit out of a hat" because that is what everyone asks about and associates with magic. It has captured the imagination of the general public, and has been associated with someone doing the impossible.

"I Need a bigger hat or a smaller bunny"

You are so right.
I now do a rabbit from hat without a bag.
Just the empty hat to start and a rabbit, that's all.
Some time in the future, this method will be in my first DVD.
It's the routine that sets this production up.
Richard (Tricky Ricky)
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
While I don't produce bunnies, I use the Abbott's Elusive Bunny Box to produce my Bearded Dragon.

A few days ago I purchased the Balloon to Bunny Box. I'm not sure if I like it yet. I'm also concerned that the loud noise of the balloon popping, and the banging of the gimmick becoming displaced, will hurt the animals ears.

Brian
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I think the best stage production of a rabbit remains Rabbit from a hat that has been shown empty. It's a classic and hardly no one does it. Clever misdirection is needed but it's not difficult. The audience loves it.
Daniel Faith
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I have used a Mailbox Production for a few years, and it was good, but not visual enough for my tastes. I wanted an instant, visual production. So I switched to the Abbott's Elusive Bunny Box. I guess I have been using this one for about a year and a half now, and I love it. I refinished the interior (I bought it used and the previous owner had it finished in white - not good for my production of a white bunny!)

Loading the Abbott's is much easier for me, than loading the mailbox. That was a big factor for me, since my first bunny never seemed to enjoy being placed, butt-first, into the mailbox.

I would really like to learn a good rabbit from hat. But I don't particularly want to leave my bunny hanging in a bag for 35-40 minutes until his appearance. And the only method for rabbit from hat, that I know, involves a bunny bag.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole