The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Putting together a dove act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Hey guys, ya'll definitely have more experience in this area than I do, What goes into putting a dove act together? I notice some acts (Lance Burtan's) have a logical meaning to it. The act has a flow. Other acts, (David Bass) are very direct, each production being a stand alone. So, How do you put a dove act together are what are the things to be considered?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Kyle, putting a dove act together is no different that putting any other act together. You have to decide what you want to do. I was trained to make every move meaningful, meaning don't just stand there and do tricks but make each effect lead into the next. For instance, I do the knots off silk effect and use that silk as one of the ones for my 20th century silks routine. I do a torn and restored newspaper and produce a dove from the paper.

You can do a candle routing turning in into a billiard ball. Do the billiard ball routine changing the last ball into a silk. Do a silk effect and then produce a dove from it. Everything ties into each other and makes your act a routine not a magic show.

If you need to cross the stage to another table for instance, have a reason to go there other than just crossing the stage. I move around when I'm performing so if I need to be on the other side of the stage for the next effect, I move in that direction while performing the prior effect so I end up at the correct place. I just think it looks more professional that just going there for the next trick.
Where the magic begins