The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Cats in magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I've been searching for information on cats in magic and found a few threads from last year and before, mostly talking about the duck bucket and a couple of appearances.

So, I'm curious as to whether there are any updates on this subject. It seems this guy in the photo with me (Burt) has suddenly become interested in magic. Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I use to have my kittens transfer from a Duck Bucket into a Mirror Box. When they got bigger I was not using them anymore with a trick. At the end of the show, I would just bring him forward to sit disciplined with the rest of his pet friends.

My advice is to have him appear from a Mirror Box: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=896

Or use a Rabbit Wringer: http://www.magictricks.com/animal/rabbitwringer.htm

It would be best to travel to a magic shop with Burt to see if one of the above objects fits him. If not, have a Mirror Box custom made for him.

Hope this helps.

Dynamike
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You might get him involved in something like Jim Gerrish's Mystery House (on my site), which in your case (I'm sorry to say) would make it a "Cat House."

If the cat doesn't mind being confined, Jim's Chocolate Bunny Box might also work, but instead of making it look like an oven, make it look like a gift box instead, or even a large "Jack in the Box" or "Burt in the Box" with a crank on the side.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Hmmm...

I was thinking more in terms of a levi or sawing, although getting a cat to sit still for those would be a better trick than the trick itself. Or maybe something with a cat-and-mouse theme, or with a ribbon around the neck (although I don't know how a male cat would take to that Smile ), or maybe a stretching effect. The ribbon thing could become a transposition: slip a borrowed ring on the ribbon, and the same ring is on the cat's neck when he shows up in the other box.

I love spellbinder's comment. Yeah, gotta be careful with that... Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
I put my cat in my rabbit production box and all he did was meow.

I guess if you got a kitten and put it in the production box every day till he was

an adult cat it would work?
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Hippity Hop Cats? Passe Passe Cat and Mouse? I think you'd need to do some cloning.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2007-05-16 16:42, Spellbinder wrote:
Hippity Hop Cats? Passe Passe Cat and Mouse? I think you'd need to do some cloning.

Well, Donna does want to get Burt a friend... Smile Smile
www.georgefledo.net

Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
When the cats take over you'll be doing "Run, Human, Run!"
Professor Spellbinder

Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
I've got the type of questions. My cat, Houdini is a great cat, but he's a bit hyper, so until I can gt him to settle down a bit, I can't even begin to think about making him an assistant.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Hmmmmm...Houdini.

Reminds me of when Donna tried putting Burt in a harness (she wanted to take him for a walk) and he immediately got out of it.

Maybe we have a potential act here. Wonder whether we should go on America's Got Talent or on Funniest Animal Videos...? Smile
www.georgefledo.net

Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I had a white cat in my show for years. Wazee was orphaned at one week old. I bottle-fed him and trained him to be in my pocket, then purse, and so on. I was gentle and totally loving, and treated him much like you would treat a dog. I ruffled his hair and took him everywhere with me, which meant many trips in the car. I fed him exclusively inside of the prop he worked in: A Chalet Duck Bucket. He was fantastic onstage because he had been exposed to all the noises and experiences beforehand.

Think of how Burt acts in the car going to the vet. That is usually the only time cat-keepers take their kitty for a drive. You must take a car to the show. Next, Burt is inside a dark bag/prop. Then, sudden bright lights with applause!

Try taking Burt to your child's school for a simple "show and tell". See if he will tolerate the drive, the kids petting him and the noise. This should be a revealing experience as to his true nature around a crowd. Anything is possible! Good Luck Smile
Autumn

PS: If your current kitty does not work, speak with your local animal shelter about fostering a kitten from a newborn. In spring and summer, they are overloaded with litters of abandoned kittens. (People actually throw them in dumpsters, if you can believe this.) You can even ask for a solid white newborn.

You have to feed them every four hours, keep them warm, and rub them with a soft damp cloth to stimulate their body functions. As a result, the cat owns your heart forever. Smile You would not only be training a great assistant, but you would also provide a loving home for an abandoned cat. The story of your cat would inspire the hearts of every audience!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Autumn,

I agree that shelters are overloaded with kittens at this time of the year. I once received a call from the shelter I foster for to come quickly, as they had 2hr old kittens with no mom. The chances of their survival was slim, but through feedings every 2 hours, and then eventually 4, they survived.

With the intention of using one in my shows, I placed my mirror box in the room and often would find the tiny kitten curled up in the box. This went on for several weeks, as well as practise sessions. Appearing on stage at one point at a convention, I asked two fellow magicians to please place the kitten in the box 6 mins after I appeared on stage and bring it out.

I hear giggling from the audience and turn around and see the box shaking on the stand, and what could only be described as sounds of fury coming from the box. The magicians who had placed her in there later showed me their shredded hands.

I can smile now at the memory and just wanted to relay that story as, although I thought that this was the perfect opportunity, I had raised this kitten from the time she was 2 hours old! She was used to the box, we had rehearsed it numerous times...with cats you just never know. I think dogs are easier.

Chrystal
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Yikes! Well, maybe the kitten wasn't happy with his contract... Smile

Could it be possible that the cat just didn't know your two friends and didn't like these two strangers putting him in a box -- even though he was familiar with the box?
www.georgefledo.net

Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi George,

That must have been it! :O)

I wondered if you happened to catch the episode of America's Got Talent. There was a guy whose act involved house cats and was really impressive. He's been mentioned at the Café several times in the past, but I forget his name at the moment. Amazing stuff! He's currently been short listed and vying for the million dollar prize.

Anyone remember this fellows name?

Chrystal
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Hi, Chrystal,

I caught part of it. I remember my first reaction was to have a talk with Burt (our cat)...

...oops... Burt just now jumped up on my desk and walked around like he wanted to get in on this. First time he's done that, but I have to wonder if he really knows more than he's telling... Smile
www.georgefledo.net

Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi George,

Sounds like Burt, a smart feline, is just affirming his status that he needs to be served, unlike the lowly dog that serves. :O)

Chrystal