The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Large Animal Production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
martinjmac
View Profile
New user
Georgia
35 Posts

Profile of martinjmac
Does anyone know where I could buy or build a large animal production illusion?

Does anyone know of any names of large animal production illusions?

Thank
-Martin-
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3662 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Chalet Magic down your way could probably help out. Girl to Lion I have seen done as production only. (No bevel base, no stairs).
Million Dollar Mystery.

How large an animal?? Dog, Lion, Elephant??

Let us know, may have more suggestions.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
martinjmac
View Profile
New user
Georgia
35 Posts

Profile of martinjmac
I am a stable manager at a farm in Georgia. We have 40 horses and 100 other different animals. I was thinking something the size of a horse. I could also use a pony or our miniature horse. I would also like to use sheep or a goat.
Where could I find more info on Chalet Magic?
Thanks
-Martin-
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
Martin,

That's a huge project. Chalet is not building custom illusions (he's building a limited amount) so unless you have a big budget for Magic Ventures or Willy Kennedy it just is not going to be easy.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
martinjmac
View Profile
New user
Georgia
35 Posts

Profile of martinjmac
If I new the philosophy behind these huge illusions I could build them my self.
Does anyone no how anything this big is done?
Or where I could find out how it is done?
Thanks
-Martin-
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Martin, I build a "Fire Cage" that you can see at http://www.stevensmagic.com
Click on "fire cage".
I think I can help you with your animal production cage.

Cell 317-508-7355
Office 317-788-4300

Jack Murray
Dream Illusions
martinjmac
View Profile
New user
Georgia
35 Posts

Profile of martinjmac
Hi Jack,
Would you build me a custom cage or would it be just the one I see on the webpage?
Thanks
-Martin-
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Hi Martin. I could build virtually any size cage, but I suggest the one for a goat or sheep. It would be built close to the ground for easy access.

Jack Murray
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
Jack Murray builds a great fire cage. I have been very happy with the one I have. It can be set up and ready to perform in literally less than 5 minutes.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3662 Posts

If you really want something versatile and want to use a variety of animals of differing sizes, go to black art!!

Knowing that you wish to use large animals (Horse, pony etc.) you are not going to move equipment around with them loaded in it. Plus you will have to transport and store that sucker.

Make an Arabian Tent!! Poles for the corners, black interior, with a top. Voila ! A portable black art stage! Bright staging? Use a border light or two! Afraid of movement! Contain the movement by shield or two on the back side, on the inside you will not notice the movement.

Another idea: Take a look at some of the smaller animal prop magic, many of them can be expanded to the size you wish.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
Hello Everyone,

On the topic of the large animal production, I would definitely go with one of Jack's cages. His fire cage is beautiful, and I'm sure he could make it to any dimension you would need, along with nice cases. He is a pleasure to work with and is very fairly priced. That's just my two cents worth. Talk to ya later.
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Before I spent a lot of money on this, I would think about if it really met my performing requirements. I state this from experience, not trying to be negative.

Years back, when I first got my dog, Natasha, a 60 pound samoyed, I decided I wanted to produce her. I have built a number of things and constructed, based on the lady to lion illusion, an attractive cage that worked well. I used it one time. For one, the shows I do, it is just not convenient to have to take the time and space, prior to the show, to setup the cage. I built it so that was easy, using only thumb screws and pliers, but as a non-touring illusionist, it just was not me. It took lots of space in my van, and about ten minutes to setup. Then I was dealing with the dog too...very enthusiastic. Unlike a duck or bunny, the dog is kind of hard to hide getting into the venue, unless you are lucky enough to have a full stage and back door. Suffice to say that, after doing this one time, I ended up changing the routine with the dog, and it went much better. I did an escape routine, based on walking thru a ribbon, and also a doggie sword thru neck. With the extra bits of business both garnered more entertainment.

It seems to me that a horse would be even more problematic...based on size and the fact that, if the horse moves around at all or makes any noise, it is gonna be pretty loud and hard to hide. It just seems to me that, unless one has a large illusion show and travels in several rigs with assistants, this would be pretty impractical for the typical "community oriented/ regionally based" performer. Maybe these thoughts do not apply for you, but I wanted to post them for your consideration.
quack
martinjmac
View Profile
New user
Georgia
35 Posts

Profile of martinjmac
Hi Jack,
I like the idea of the cage being close to the ground. I was wondering if this is a self working illusion. If you want you can PM me if you don't want to post the answer on here.
What would be the cost of this custom cage?
Thanks
-Martin-

Hi Blaire,
Could you PM me or post on here about the black art? I would like to know more info on how to build this.
Thanks
-Martin-
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3662 Posts

I have a black art enclosure for the production of a large item. I believe the Thayer plan is what it is based on. This plan appears in a couple of books.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
J.S.llusionDesigns
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of J.S.llusionDesigns
http://www.dream-illusions.com is where I got my fire cage.
Joe Smith Illusion Designs
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
Jim Steinmeyer is a good resource for this. He also designed such illusions for Lance Burton.

We have used one our horses in illusion and experience has taught us to Never use a Mule (unless sedated*). We are so happy to have found a home for him!

I recommend:

Motorcyle Production (panel type)if inside (stage).
Lady to Lion (clothover principle)if Inside or Outside.

Sedated: BOTH the Mule AND us!
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Martin,

Lucy and I have made a horse appear and disappear on stage recently. How can we help? Perhaps PM or email would make the most sense. Are there pictures?

We live in Alabama. Look at my website and you will see that "Animals R Us". Bob Klamm had just never had an order for a Goose-to-Goat before he met Lucy. After all, it's what she went there to get. And he shipped it to us. Call Klamm the Magicman and tell him what you want. Don't be surprised if you get it!

http://www.freewebs.com/magicbysander/index.htm

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
This might not be the place but I do have a Milan Forzetting cat cage that we are no longer using - I might want to part with it. As will all of our illusions, it does have an ATA case
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic