The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Dove Levitation (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Do you or anyone you know perform "Dove Levitation?"
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Silvan's Dove levitation was one of the first dove effects I bought when I was younger. I think I was around 13 or 14 years old. I remember I was hangin out at Morrissey's Magic, and some young magician there that just thought he was the 'stuff' recommended this to me. At the time I don't think it was a great investment for me. I think I paid around $50.00 for it. I was a little disappointed with what I got for the money, but the effect was half decent. I just never really liked putting my doves into the 'Trance', it just never seemed humane to me, although I'm quite sure it was harmless. But how would you like it if some giant tipped you upside down and let all the blood rush to your head until you became half paralyzed?

But that aside, the only thing I did not like about the effect is that if you moved while the levitation was in operation, the method was a little obvious. I remember seeing one performer on a magic special (I think one of the older magic awards show hosted by Harry Blackstone Jr.) I think the magician's name was Brian Dill? But don't quote me on that. He started off with a duck bucket, and later on he ended his performance with a version of the dove levitation. But with the duck and using a table instead of just floating in front of his body, however when he removed the table, he must have hit the gimmick, and again revealing a 'shakey' levitation.

If you have bad nerves, or can't keep perfectly still... lol, it's probably not for you. But watching Silvan do it himself was always a treat.

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Peter,

I had it for years. I never performed it because I had a hard time with the trance. I was just wondering, is it just me?
w3irDO
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of w3irDO
I was thinking, why don't you try practicing the trance without the gimmick first? Well, I have the Dan Birch's dove levitation, and I get good response from performing that trick! Smile
NothiNG Is IMPOSSIBLE
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I feel uncomfortable practicing on him. I wish someone could train.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Trying it without the gimmick is a great idea.

Hold the dove firmly, keeping his wings pressed against its sides. Tip the dove upside down and slowly and lightly rub the dove's stomach in a circular motion as you slowly lower the dove in a horizontal position (stomach still up). Keep rubbing the dove's stomach. The dove's head should be cocked down and still upside down. The dove's breathing will change. Stop rubbing and be very careful not to disturb the dove. It will now lay completely still on its back with the head back and upside down and his tail will be cocked as well. You now have the dove in the trance and it will not move until you turn him right side up again.

I personally wouldn't leave him like that for too long.

Anyway hope this helps,

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
omnibozo
View Profile
Regular user
Boulder, CO
151 Posts

Profile of omnibozo
If you are having trouble with getting one of your doves into the "trance," try a different bird! The dove I would most like to do this with just won't do it, so I don't use him for that effect. If you really know your birds, you can easily see which ones will work best for which effect. Some coo too much, some are lethargic, some just love the crowd and become quite the hams. Spending the time with them to try out different effects can really improve your whole show.
streetmagician_08
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of streetmagician_08
Hey,

Does anyone know where I can see Dan Birch's method, maybe a video clip of it?

Thanks
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
never try, never know
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Is Dan Birch's a vertical or horizontal connection?

thanks
Doveman
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Doveman
I just got back from California where I studied with Dan Birch at his home. We worked on my costume and different dove productions while I was there. He is a great guy to work with. His dove levitation is great!! He produces great stuff. Try his lit match pulls! See ya!!
Alex Tan
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
290 Posts

Profile of Alex Tan
I've never heard of a vertical dove levitation. Is it something new? If not, it sure is a starting point to creating something new.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I want a dove levitation where I don't have to hypnotize my dove.

I saw Silvan's (I think that is his name) levitation and it looks like the dove is perched on something white to match their feathers...

I searched for this and don't think it is available, is it?

In a book it said he was known for this effect...

Does anyone know of a book containing this levitation. It is just like the hypnotizing version where a ring is passed over the dove and I'm sure the same connection...

thanks
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
I purchased the Dan Birch Dove Leviation a few years ago, and I too hated hypnotizing the dove. From my experience, the doves were uncomfortable, and hated being upside down.

However, the gimmick is a great gimmick, and could be modified to levitate the dove without it being on its back. Might take a little work, but I think it's possible. I'd suggest contacting Dan Birch http://www.DanBirch.com and see if he can make the gimmick that way for you, for a small added fee. You never know. He's a nice guy to work with.

Good luck!
Dave

Just reading through these links again... and yes, try his match pulls too! They are the best!
schmitty65
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of schmitty65
His video demo looks cool.
Shadow Dancer
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
61 Posts

Profile of Shadow Dancer
Quote:
On 2003-01-07 04:53, Dynamike wrote:
Peter,

... I never performed it because I had a hard time with the trance...

Yeah, the trance depends on each bird. Some are easy and others are pretty hard, but mine do it. I've heard a lot of magicians say that the trance isn't that good for the doves, so I try not to do it that often.
Shadow Dancer....
'The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.'
<br> AlbertEinstein
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
I also own a Dan Birch dove levitation. GREAT PIECE of equipment! I also like the lazer thru balloon as well! However I do feel it puts too much stress on the bird. Now if it could be modified (I think it can)to levitate the dove upright it would be sensational.

I quit using mine a couple years ago. I just could never get a bird used to it.

Mike
Marcus Taylor
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Marcus Taylor
Is it essential to put the dove in a trance? Smile
Magically Yours,

Marcus Taylor

marcus-magic@hotmail.com
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
I don't know if anyone has pointed this out but doves can already fly....why make them float? Its kind of like...why do we make people levitate? Because they can not do it. Just my opinion
Zaubern Smile
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
I kind of agree with Zaubern...I just overall though the dove levitation always looked kind of lame too. Kinda' BLAH in my opinion. And the dove looks so weird laying there like that, I often wondered what laymen think when they see the dove laying there in this awkward position. ...just a thought

sperris Smile
DANSPERRY.COM