The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Dove flights problems (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Rob Pond
View Profile
Regular user
Scott, OH
156 Posts

Profile of Rob Pond
I have been working a lot recently trying to train a couple of my doves to be flyback doves. I have noticed that one dove flys really strange. It has always seemed to have a problem balanceing on my finger when none of the other doves had a problem. When I throw her she will turn off to the right and run right into whatever is in her way. Its like she can't stop or change her directions. I have looked her over for anything I could notice wrong...but she looks healthy. Has any else ever had this problem, or have any suggestions for me?
Rob Pond
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Rob, doves only see out of one eye at a time. If your dove always turns right and flys into things, it may be that it has a vision problem in the left eye.Only an avian vet can tell you that for sure.

On the other hand, doves will fly to the first thing they see so if you have things it can land on in it's flight path, it may just need more training to get to know what it is supposed to do.
Where the magic begins
Rob Pond
View Profile
Regular user
Scott, OH
156 Posts

Profile of Rob Pond
Thanks for the reply Dave. I guess I will have to find an avian vet to take her to. Has anyone else ever had this problem?
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
My challenge is that I am trying to accomplish the same with two doves I just received. I hve been working with them for four weeks now. One littl guy is progressing nicely. He is able to fly from my left side to my right finger - with both my arms streched out. In other words he flies about 160 degrees.

His brother is another story; he seems to be slower and offten flies in the opposite diection. It almost seems that he is revolting.

Any suggetions? Also how long should I spend for a training sssion?
Max
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Max, you should spend as much time as possible for training. I try to spend at least an hour a day with my new birds and 15 minutes a day with the older ones. Some doves take longer to learn than others. If it's only been 4 weeks, don't worry about it. Keep practicing. Some doves will never do a fly back. You just have to experiment until you get one that will.
Where the magic begins
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Dave,
Thank you for that insight. I spend 15 minutes with each dove twice a day. Is it better to spend 30 min twice a day, or one hour once a day?
Max
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Max, doves can't tell time. The main objective is to spend as much time as you can with each bird. The more time you spend with them, the quicker they become accustomed to you and to what they are supposed to do. The only thing to be careful of is tiring them out. Work with them until you see they don't fly easily from hand to hand or begin to breath with their beaks open. That's a sign of fatigue. When that happens, just put them on a perch or back in the cage for a few minutes. That's also a good time to give them a little sprintz of water to cool them down.
Where the magic begins
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Dave,Thank you again for your priceless information.
In addition, I apreciate your sense of humor; 'doves can't tell time'. At my age I don't even know what day this is. LOL
Max
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Max, there is one period when they can tell time. If they lay fertile eggs, the male knows when it's 10AM. Sounds funny but at 10AM, the male will sit on the eggs and will stay there until 4PM. Then the female will take over from 4PM to 10AM. How they know that is a mystery but you can almost set your watch by it.
Where the magic begins
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Thank you again for you advice Dave. It is appreciated.
Max