The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Fighting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
BondJames628
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
110 Posts

Profile of BondJames628
Hello everyone!

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving today! With that said, I have a bit of a problem. I had posted a few months ago that I had received two white doves. The only problem was that they seemed to be wild, and not used to human hands. I was told to hold them and work with them as much as I could to "tame" them. Well, it worked some, but they're still wild; yet it's my fault, because I’ve been really busy with school and have been strapped for time, and I haven't had that many bookings, so I haven't practiced in a while as I should (something else I need to work on.) Anyways, I've noticed lately that they are fighting over their food. Is this something to do with them being "wild" or is there more involved? How can I fix this? Thanks in advance!

-Taylor Fox
Beyond Impossible: www.freewebs.com/illoosionzmagic

"I close my eyes in order to see"
~Paul Gauguin
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Taylor, there is no short cut to taming the doves. You have to make the time to work with them every day. If your doves are in a small cage, it's not unusual for them to have food fights. Keep an eye on them and make sure both are getting food. You may find that one eats and then the other eats. I have a mated pair that do this quite a bit.
Where the magic begins
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Taylor, performing birds need a routine (much like us)

If they get their food sporadically it causes trouble - perhaps for chill time when you get home from school you could spend some time working with them, then feed them. I find if we regard working with the animals as a 'chore', our work with them becomes less effective, so make that time a welcome break in your busy day.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Taylor,

It just sounds like another day at the office to me. That is especially true if this happens when food is added. Later in the day as long as both eat, no problem.

Come to Ring 35 meetings in Birmingham.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
BondJames628
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
110 Posts

Profile of BondJames628
Thanks everyone! I do believe they're both getting food, so I don't think that's a big problem. Smile

I'm trying to get up there Mr. Sanders, I haven't even gotten the chance to go to the IBM ring here locally; school and other extra curricular activities have kept me busy beyond belief. I got fed up this week with not being able to go to any meetings, so I told everyone I am not planning anything for next month so that I can go to a meeting, haha. Can you send me the link for your ring's website again, so I know how to get there? Thanks!

-Taylor

~Paul Gauguin
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Taylor,

Here is the website:

http://ring35.org/

Next meeting is Tuesday December 5, 2006, and the one after that is January 2, 2007.

There are several dove magicians there including James Adamson here on The Café. He has asked many of the same questions you did getting started.

Although it is in the 70s outside here today, remember that even in Alabama water freezes in the winter. Food is safe but keep your eyes open to check if the water is something the doves can drink. It will need to be about 3/4" deep because doves dunk their beaks to drink.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
BondJames628
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
110 Posts

Profile of BondJames628
Thanks, will do.

I'll be up there as soon as I can!

~Paul Gauguin
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Fighting can also be a sign of overcrowding. Something to keep in mind when acquiring more doves, raising your own, etc.