The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: New cage. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Hello guys I have found a nice cage and am wondering how many doves can fit in it comfortably.

It's dimensions are 36Lx24Wx27H.

Thanks,
-Aaron
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I wouldn't put any more than 3 doves in a cage this size.
Where the magic begins
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Really, I thought I could get at least four.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Sorry, I misread your dimensions. Happens when you get old like me. Yes, that size cage would be able to house 4 or 5 birds in it as long as there is only 1 male in it. Otherwise you'll have fights on your hands.
Where the magic begins
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Cool that is what I was hoping for. But how do I tell what sex they are when I get them, I thought it was pretty much impossible unless you saw them like lay an egg or something. how can I tell a breeder that I want only one male?
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hopefully the breeder will know. Its hard to tell sometimes between male and female and mostly it's trial and error. Sometimes you get males that relly don't show they are males until they get older, or you get a calm one.

To tell the difference, from what I have seen in all of my doves is to watch how they act in the cage with other doves. Males will bow and coo as if they are doing a "dance" while the females will cool leaning forward only and sometime flicking the wings. Don't get me wrong here though, but the males will also coo like the females at times, leaning foward and flicking the wings. Only the males though will puff up in the chest standing upright, and then bowing. This is sort of a territorial chant, and mating chant.

It's hard to tell off the cuff which is which, and mostly depends on the age of the dove. Young males will not do this as they are not matured enough to "get the hang of it yet", and before you ask "How do you know how old the dove is?", just take a look at the feet. If the feet are pinkish in color, then the dove is fairly young. The older the dove, the darker the feet. If they are purple in color, then you have a matured dove, which also could mean more training and attention. You can also tell which is male and female when they are in the same cage. As females lay eggs, they don't always lay eggs.

If two doves are pecking at each other in an aggressive way, and chasing each other around, cooing and bowing, you most likely have two male doves together. This can confuse you too at the same time because once a male beings persuit of another male in the cage, he will pretty much go after any dove in the territory. But, the male will also do this to females when he is trying to get her to make a nest in a certain area. He will chase her to the spot where he thinks is good. Pretty much, you just have to watch them constantly.

The females are more calm than the males, and don't make as much noise. They just like to sit around and relax. The males are always on the go. Also, if you see a dove "mount" another dove by getting on the doves back and the dove being stood on leans forward, then you have a couple.

Now, confused yet? *smile* When you see the doves gently pecking around each others neck, they are just prunning each other. However, Male doves will not prune another male dove without fighting, BUT, females will prune other females, and females will prune males, and males will prune females. SO, after all of that, I guess the safe answer is ONLY TIME WILL TELL! *smile*
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Another topic that has been discussed here. There are only two ways of being absolutely sure about the sex of your birds. One of course is to see if they lay an egg. The other is to have a vet sex your birds but that is expensive.

A few hints are:

Male doves coo and bow while females tend to laugh. Not foolproof since females will coo sometimes.

You can run your finger down the breast of the bird. If the breast bone separates into a Y just below the breast, it is probably a female.

If your birds do lay an egg and you're not sure which one layed it, watch to see what time they sit on the egg. Males will sit on the nest from 10am to 4PM. The females will sit on it the rest of the time. This sounds funny but you can almost set your watch by this.
Where the magic begins
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Sorry again about the repost I really didn't even think about searching,
Sorry
but thanks for the help,
-Aaron
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
No problem asking a question previously asked. I just make mention of it in case you want more information.

Alpha
Quote:
Also, if you see a dove "mount" another dove by getting on the doves back and the dove being stood on leans forward, then you have a couple.

Even this isn't always true. I've had females "piggy back" on each other too. I like your comment "confused yet?" Sexing has to be one of the most confusing aspects of dove magic.
Where the magic begins
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Ya after I read that post I couldn't even see strait. Smile Smile
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Haha - Yeah, all in all, you just don't know sometimes, but as time goes on you will eventually figure it out. No worries though if you wind up with more males than you expected. As Dave says...this is a VERY addicted form of magic, and you may think you may want just 2 or 3 to start, but eventually you may wind up with 8, 12, or even as Dave had at one time over 30!! (Yeah Dave, I pay attention to detail!! *haha*)
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Magic-man, not only couldn't you see strait??? you could spell either. Just kidding (straight)

Alpha, thanks for paying attention. If you really want to be impressed, check out the post by Bob Sanders. His total is or was over 100 doves. Can you imagine??? I understand he runs a side business making feather pillows Smile
Where the magic begins
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Great Googly Moogly!!! (when's the last time you heard that one) Over 100! BOB, there is a group called "Doves Anonymous" ya know! " Hi, my name is Bob, and I'm a *sniffle* Dove addict...."

Ah well....at least they are all taken care of. Bob is going to be up in the Virginia Area performing in February if I am not mistaken....May have to check that out.

Pillow making....hmm...could be on to something......"Dove pillows - Sleep Magically!" hmmm.....
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
If you get the chance, don't miss Bob's act.
Where the magic begins
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
See Alpha your post really screwed me up. That post should have a warning on it that says read at your own risk or something. Just kidding, thanks for all the help guys.
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
*haha* - Just have fun is all....Good luck!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
What a crew we have here! Aaron, Dave and Sir Thomas! That's three corners of the country plus.

Aaron,

My breeder cages are 18" wide, 24" deep and 18" tall. Your cage is twice that size. I put breeding pairs in each cage or up to six youngsters in a cage. You will have to really stay on top of the feed and water situation as you add doves to the cage.

After all these years, my method for sexing doves is trial and error. When I totally give up I put them in the walkin aviaries and let them figure it out. That's a trick doves can put over on us!

Dave,

Thanks for the kind words. And that even came AFTER you saw my act! That's a true friend! Thank you.

Thomas,

Dave has tried getting professional help for my Dove Addiction. Those folks just aren't that brave. Apparently there is no 12-Step Program for us. Working for bird seed is my downfall. Could you get me a Tee-shirt that says "Will Do Magic for Dove Grain"?

I may miss the Carolinas 2007 but I should be in Alexandria, VA for Magi-Whirl 2007 April 13 & 14. Then the first week of June, I expect to be back in Bristol with Dakota Rose for Twin Cities. Lucy and I worked Cumberland Falls State Park in Kentucky last week but we did no dove magic. We did do three stage shows and two lectures while in the area.

My February plans were originally for New Orleans but everything is canceling and closing down there. Now I can use some more dates in February. (I have dove feed to buy!)

Enjoy your dove magic. Let the audience figure out what makes doves laugh.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

(Forman of the Feather Farm)
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
LOL, well I never noticed our overall cover of the nation but I guess we can corrupt the entire country with this setup, just let them read alpha's post. It will be like that criss angle special with the subliminal message poster and the people passing out.

-Aaron
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Hey guys I just had a thought, I bought this nice cage and I don't really want to get a new one. But what do I do if I get more than one male dove in the bunch. will I have to buy a new cage or what? Thanks alot, -Aaron
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Magic_man, I always have a spare cage or two on hand. They don't all have to be as large as the one you already have. You can get a nice cage, about 24" x 24" in most pet shops. Another good reason for having an extra cage is in case one of your birds gets sick. It happens once in awhile and you need to separate it from the rest of your birds temporarily. You just have to remember to really wash down the "hospital" cage with good hot water and bleach to kill any germs. You need to do the same with your main cage as well. I clean my cages once a week and give them a thorough cleaning with bleach about every 3 months.
Where the magic begins