The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Baby Doves need a Magical Home (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
Hi everyone,

I have some baby doves that are ready for a magical home. Just PM me.

Thanks,

Dakota Rose
Dream things that never were and say, "Why not."

Junior Editor Linking Ring - Youth Forum

www.dakotarosemagic.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Dakota,

I passed your phone number on to a magician last night who is hunting magic doves.

I'm using the ones I got from you. They've taught me a lot of magic.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Just wanted to add that I, too, have purchased doves from Dakota and they are great! Smile
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
PM'd you and $ on its way.
Max

Posted: Nov 1, 2006 12:28am
The babies have arrived. Great service, fast shipping and the birds look great.
Max
Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
Good deal, I can't believe they got their so fast. Have fun with your new family.

Thanks Mr. Sanders and Mr. Starr. I feel so much better finding homes to the guys here than selling them to the pet store.

Dakota Rose

Posted: Nov 1, 2006 5:20am
I almost forgot, no babies left for awhile. I'll post again when I have some more.

Thanks,
Dakota Rose

www.dakotarosemagic.com
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
Just curious. how much do they cost and how do you get them shipped?
https://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
My doves arrived today from Dakota looking beautiful as can be!
(Durgy, they were shipped USPS Express. For me it was overnight.)

Thanks again Dakota!
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
When I ship doves, I use the post office. They are the most reliable and deliver overnight to almost everywhere. Cost is usually around $25.
Where the magic begins
Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
Hi Gary, Glad you got them in one day. Have fun with them. They are so sweet.

Durgy, Mr. Scribner and Mr. Sanders turned me on to the post office for mailing the doves. So far, there have been no problems. Until recently. The post office is getting very strict about mailing live animals and some cities I can't mail to anymore. (Huntsville, AL and St. Louis I know of for sure)

I ship overnight, like Mr. Scribner said, around $25. But overnight to the post office sometimes means 2 days. Go figure. But I put seed and water in the box and so far, no problems.

Dakota Rose

www.dakotarosemagic.com
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
These birds are wonderful. I had them both out for a litte while tonight but didn't want to stress them too much after the adventure they already had in the shipping.

Now they are ready for bed.

Click here to view attached image.
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
Do you got some more to sell?
Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
I have found homes for all my babies. I will post in another month or so when I have some more. Thanks.

Dakota

www.dakotarosemagic.com
Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
I need feedback from dove magicians.

I was at the post office today to mail some doves and they said that a new rule is that doves have to be shipped in a 'biologically secure container' which a small (for 2 doves) is about $20.

I've heard several magi say that they can't find doves anywhere and the ones they do find are expensive. ($60 each was what one magi said)

I'm trying to decide whether to start collecting eggs instead of having more babies.

If you were in the market for doves, would you pay the extra $20 plus shipping (around $25) for 2 doves? (plus the cost of the doves)

I really need to decide what to do. (Collect eggs or keep having babies)

Thanks for your help.

Dakota Rose

www.dakotarosemagic.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
As I mentioned in your PM to me Dakota, the alternative is to have the birds shipped via the airlines which is about $120 the last time I checked. I think once people realize that the shipping cost and box is unavoidable, it won't make a difference. On the bright side, it might reduce the number of newbie's out there rushing in to get doves. If they have to lay out $60 or more dollars, they might think twice about it.
Where the magic begins
Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
Thanks Mr. Scribner,

You always have a bright side.

I guess if a magi really wants to do dove magic, it would be like most anything else in magic, you have to pay for it.

Dakota Rose

www.dakotarosemagic.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
October 1, 2006, UPS started shipping birds.

FedEx flies animal cargo for the Post Office. (New contract October 23, 2006) The Post Office is the middleman.

I agree with Dave. Shipping cost is not a true barrier. And even if there is for the time a "required supplier source" for the container, there is no reason why it would not be reusable.

Having read the available literature about the containers that "filter out any virus" I would put the claim in the category with science fiction. It would also cut off the air supply to the birds. Get real! Hire a scientist!

But if you believe the claim, Could I sell you some beach front property in Wyoming?

I really think "This too shall pass". It smells of a "deal" between a container vendor and the Post Office. Biology will not support the claims of the vendor. The concerns for the health and safety of the Postal employees is real. However, this won't remotely reduce the problem. Dead birds carry the same virus as live ones! I don't see butchers and cooks wearing the "Virus proof filter". But of course they like to breath!

Why not let the government employees wear the "Virus proof filter" and reduce the number that live to retirement? LOL --- Yes, I am joking about that.

We are just stuck with a "deal" that will be resolved in time. Let the animal rights people embarrass the Post Office into rational behavior on that one. Humor in government is acceptable. We've all heard the best joke, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you". RUN!

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
I was hoping to buy some doves from you and after reading that the post office will charge for the box.Its kinda expensive for those boxes.it looks like the post office is just trying to make more money of those boxes. I say you ship some doves to me for the regular price that you sold before like ship them dove orders before that biological secure rule comes in affect.god I sound like a jerk here but I assure you I'm not.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Ricky, I wouldn't say you sound like a jerk but it's obvious you've misread the posts. The new regulation took effect in Oct so there is no way to ship birds to you the old way even if Dakota or anyone else had them to ship. Temporarily, the only way to ship birds will by the airlines with a cost of $120. This regulation will most like soon disappear since it doesn't make sense to ship birds in a box that won't allow air in.
Where the magic begins
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
Here is an idea for you dakota,You first buy that bio secure box thing.Then ship it to the buyer for your regular price of the doves and shipping.Then the buyer takes the doves out and ships you back that bio secure box. Im guessing shipping that back would cost less.It maybe a funny idea but it just poped in my head and I thought it might reduce some cost for you and your customers.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Ricky, I'm not sure if you're just trying to have fun here or what. The object here is that if you ship the birds in the new bio box, they will not survive since they won't be able to get sufficient air. So why would anyone ship the birds in one. The purpose of the boxes is to filter out viruses and you wouldn't be able to reuse the box anyway.
Where the magic begins