The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Flaming top hat dove production? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
Hi Guys,

I recently saw a top hat with a compartment in it for a dove. In performance you would light the hat on fire, the flames go out and your dove hops up onto the brim. Is this safe for the animal? Not just with the flames but can they get air? If ti is ok I mya get one. It would be an opener.

Luke
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4864 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Luke, the dove is separated from the flames at all times. There is sufficient air, but just like any prop, you don't want to load them to far in advance. The flames only last a few seconds.
Where the magic begins
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
319 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
Do you know the name of this?
Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
No I don't I am afraid. It's on Stevens' website but I saw it by a company called Merlins over here in the UK. Thanks Dave I will get one I think! As always top advice!

Luke
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
319 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
Can you get me a link please? Thanks Smile
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
I recently emailed Stevens Magic about the flaming top hat dove production, and they replied that it was out of stock and that they had no idea when it would be back. Has anyone got a different source for this, as I am really interested in it?

I presume that it originaly must come from Europe somewhere...

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
Chris,

I have one that was only used for one show. I think I paid $125.00 for it from Stevens. If you want it, or if any of you want it, I'll let it go for a hundred bucks. It is a beautiful piece, and a real shame you cannot get them anymore. PM me if you are interested.

Your Friend,

Beau Alexander
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
You can get them from over here in the uk for 75 pounds which to you guys would be about $90? $85 something like that, I am not to sure of the exchange rate at the moment got to http://www.merlinswakefield.co.uk/ and you should find it on there Stage products section.

All the best,

Luke
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Thanks Luke!
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1954 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
I also read the add in magic magazine years back, the Israel dealer I guess.
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Anybody else had experience with this since 2006..?
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
I've had! Lol! I got myself a Tora Magic Dove from flaming top hat recently from a local magic shop. He was glad I bought I because he claimed many people thought it was fir spring flowers. Well, I brought it home and tried it for the first time. The first time I tried it, a little of my dove's feathers got burnt. And I immediately chucked it aside. I felt cheated. Later on, a few days later I decided to try it again, this time, with flash paper inside jus to see if the fire really enters the load chamber. The flash paper did not burn. I realized that you should just liet the fire burn for a while then put it out. The longer it burns, the harder it is to put out.

I've used it in my ids shows a couple of times with great success and the dove used in the trick is fine. Its a great visual feast for the audience. Jus ensure you do NOT let the fire burn for too long. The dove's well being is more important. Cheers!

my 2c
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
How long would you let it burn for then....5 seconds???

Thanks.

PS. Kyle, your picture scares me....lol
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Yo! MB, the picture was not meant to scare you. But thanks for the compliment. hahaha... I think 5 seconds could be just right. but dun put too much lighter fluid as well. best way to check if fire is going into the load is to place a ball of flash paper in it.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
I currently own one, and have used it as an opener for a few shows. The first time that I took it out of the box and loaded it with fluid I had to put the fire out with water! The hat isn't damaged from it, but I am just glad my dove wasn't loaded into it.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Save your money. There is a tendency for the dove to suffocate from the fumes of the lighter fluid. I had this, and I sold it when I saw my dove grasping for air when it was released. If you want to use this, just load spring flowers or spring bills on it.
If you want to use it on your dove, eliminate the fire.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2008-11-24 08:16, Lou Hilario wrote:
Save your money. There is a tendency for the dove to suffocate from the fumes of the lighter fluid. I had this, and I sold it when I saw my dove grasping for air when it was released. If you want to use this, just load spring flowers or spring bills on it.
If you want to use it on your dove, eliminate the fire.

I never noticed my dove gasping for air, but I did notice some feathers that were burnt. I stopped using it in fear that it was unsafe for my birds.

It was a 125.00 investment, and the one from Tora Magic that Stevens sold me wasn't large enough for 2 birds, neither was it large enough to fit on my head.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Quote:
There is a tendency for the dove to suffocate from the fumes of the lighter fluid. I had this, and I sold it when I saw my dove grasping for air when it was released.

Did the suc...uh, "buyer" know about the dangers when you sold it?
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2008-11-24 17:47, Michael J. Douglas wrote:
Quote:
There is a tendency for the dove to suffocate from the fumes of the lighter fluid. I had this, and I sold it when I saw my dove grasping for air when it was released.

Did the suc...uh, "buyer" know about the dangers when you sold it?

lol....anything with fire should set off a red flag, but this item is advertised to be used with 2 doves, and it barely fits 1. It also isn't large enough to fit on the head.

We all make purchases that we regret in the long run. It's a beautiful prop, but the flaws outweigh the benefits.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
I think that before using any fire in your act, you had better check your liability insurance coverage.

I am not familiar with the IBM group coverage in the states because it is not available to us here in Canada. However, my liability insurance strictly forbids any effects that use open flame. I had to once get written special permission from my insurance carrier to light one candle for one special Halloween show.

You will also find elsewhere here at the Café threads about how difficult it is to get electric matches for such effects as the Wiz Cote.

Tragic events causing deaths from pyrotechnics gone wrong have made it much more restrictive from using them at live events.

The list of reasons not to use fire in your act keeps getting longer.

However, (before I get "flamed" for bringing up a contrary view) after stating all of this, if your insurance (and I hope y'all have insurance) allows you to use fire, and you wish to use fire, then go ahead. Just keep in mind the immortal words from "Hill Street Blues," "Hey, be careful out there."