The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Rabbit from hat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Joey Jones
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Joey Jones
I was looking for a rabbit from hat illusion. I know how it works but do not know where to get the items necessary. Also, where can I find a good quality top hat?

A Magical Thanks,

Joey
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of David Todd
You can find the methods in books such as the "Tarbell Course in Magic" or "The Bunny Book for Magicians" by Frances Marshall (from Magic Inc. in Chicago) .
http://www.magicinc.net/

Sources for top hats :

http://www.villagehatshop.com/

http://www.baronhats.com/top_hats.htm

http://www.top-hats.com/1017.htm

Also , use the search function here at the Magic Café . This topic (rabbits from hats, particularly top hats) has been discussed many times and you will probably find some good links on the subject .

By the way, food for thought, there's absolutely no rule that you have to pull a rabbit from a top hat . Think of other kinds of hats that you could use or how about pull a rabbit from a paper grocery sack ? You start with the paper sack folded flat, unfold it and show it empty , then magically pull the rabbit from it . Many of the same methods used for pulling a rabbit from a hat could be used to pull a rabbit from a bag or from an empty cardboard box. The rules here are that we do not discuss or expose specific methods on the board since it's a board that is open to the public, but I think if you hang around here long enough you will get some good hints on where to look for the methods to perform this trick .
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Hey Joey,

Welcome to The magic Café! Eric Sharpe also has a book explaining his Rabbit From Hat method. I found a good top hat at a local clothing store that handles tuxedos.

Regan
Mister Mystery
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1654 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Hi Regan.
How much did you pay for that top hat?
Thet're quite expensive in Toronto.
Richard.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Hi Richard.

I can't remember for sure what I paid for it. I bought it like 10 years or so ago. It is felt, not silk, so it wasn't all that expensive. I want to say around $50 or $60, but I am not certain. I use mine in a couple of routines now and then, or sometimes for stage decor, but mostly I use it to bring the rabbit out at the end of my shows. It is a nice way to allow the kids to see the bunny up close.

That looks like a red, silk top hat in your avatar. Is it collapsible? It looks really nice. I'll bet it was expensive!

Regan
Mister Mystery
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1654 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Yes, very expensive.
I bought it from Mephisto Huis some years back.
The mistake I made is, I should have bought 3 or 4 more then.
They had them in red, blue, white and black.
Richard.
Joey Jones
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Joey Jones
Thanks for all the posts. Anyone know where to get gimmicked hats? Thank you again for all the wonderful posts!!!

Good day,
Joey
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Abbott's used to sell a gimmicked "Rabbit Hat". I have not seen it, so I am not recommending it. I would ask for a review before I bought it if I were you.

Richard, I've made that mistake many times in my life. Too bad we can't foresee some things, isn't it?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
During your Rabbit from Hat production make sure you lift the bunny by the body, (pretend you are lifting a round melon from the hat.)

If you use the rabbit's ears, like you see in cartoons, you risk bringing pain and harm to your furry friend. Enjoy!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1654 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On 2006-09-17 17:48, Regan wrote:
Abbott's used to sell a gimmicked "Rabbit Hat". I have not seen it, so I am not recommending it. I would ask for a review before I bought it if I were you.

Richard, I've made that mistake many times in my life. Too bad we can't foresee some things, isn't it?

Regan

If I'm correct.
Candini may have bought that set up from Abbotts.
I hope he will chip in and give us his opinion.
Richard.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1654 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On 2006-09-18 06:28, Autumn Morning Star wrote:
During your Rabbit from Hat production make sure you lift the bunny by the body, (pretend you are lifting a round melon from the hat.)

If you use the rabbit's ears, like you see in cartoons, you risk bringing pain and harm to your furry friend. Enjoy!

Sound advise.
Rabbit ears are not only for hearing, but also to get rid of excess body heat.
I saw a young magician at a library, lifting his rabbit by it's ears.
He had no idea that was very painful for the bunny.
Richard.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Richard you are correct about Candini buying the Abbott's Rabbit Hat. I know he sold it on Ebay not long after he bought it.

Richard and Autumn are correct about the 'never-lift-a-bunny-by-it's-ears' statement. Magicians used to do it, but it is not a good thing to do. Damage can occur to the rabbit's ears.

Regan
Mister Mystery
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Peter Austin
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Peter Austin
I bought my top hat at Daytona Magic some years back... Harry Allen, the owner, is very good at convincing you of buying things...lol I paid I think like $235 for this Top hat! It is obviously a very well made silk collapsable kind with a very rigid brim and good mechanism but I still think I paid too much for it. I wonder if the Viking one that John listed above is as nice and as good... For 50 bucks it would be a very GOOD price!

Peter Austin
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I wish I knew how to evaluate these. Until I know how much I will use it, I am considering a $20 collapsible top hat.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2006-09-18 06:28, Autumn Morning Star wrote:

I'm not doubting this, but I noticed that Tarbell recommends lifting them by the ears.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Rob Pond
View Profile
Regular user
Scott, OH
156 Posts

Profile of Rob Pond
John Long,
Tarbell say that you can lift them by the ears, but it also say to only do this till you can get a grip on the rest of the body. He even says that it causes the rabbit pain.
Rob Pond
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Again, I am not trying to say that it is ok to pull a rabbit by its ears, but noting the discrepancy. In Tarbell V3 p385 he says to grab the rabbit by the ears(no comment about doing so for a short time), and most of the pictures show lifting the rabbit by the ears(e.g. Vol 3 p398, p403. Yet, in volume 5 p213 he says to not hold rabbits by their ears. Maybe he someone corrected him on this matter by the time he got lesson 5.

For me, I am looking for a small stuffed rabbit - I just got a collapsible hat in the mail today.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
When was the book written? Apparently it was 'acceptable' to lift a rabbit by it's ears a long time ago.

Regan
Mister Mystery
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
My books list a 1927 copyright date, but that doesn't tell us when the original lessons were actually created and shipped. Maybe Chris from Lybrary could answer that one.

Regardless, the type of rabbit that I am looking to get will not complain.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking