The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Ferrets in magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magic4jc
View Profile
Regular user
Texas, USA
148 Posts

Profile of magic4jc
Have any of you folks ever used a ferret in a magic show? I am considering using a ferret instead of a rabbit in the circus wagon. Any advice?

Mike
mikecorry.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Mike,

If you will use the search function on The Café, there is information here. Also contact Ricker here on The Café and see how much info you two can trade. I think Ricker makes props for using the ferrets.

(I do know that when I have the good fortune of visiting Rick and Syd, I find that their three ferrets are "self-loading" magicians' helpers. LOL)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Some states, such as California, have laws banning the ownership of ferrets.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Hey Mike,

I've used ferrets in my act for a few years, actually in a circus wagon. I don't do it anymore, just because I've changed my act.

If loaded just a few minutes before the routine, there shouldn't be a problem. They are extremely quiet, BUT they are fidgety and can find a way out of anything.. so make sure there is a treat or two in there for him/her.

I used to use the old circus clown music and made quite a hilarious routine out of it. Plus you get such a great reaction.

Good Luck.. and as magi said, they are illegal in some states, being in NJ though, they are not.

Justin David
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
TannerJade
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
307 Posts

Profile of TannerJade
Wow, I have to say (sorry if I sound uneducated) that I have never heard of using ferrets in magic...

Are they easily trained?

Thanks,

Tanner
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Well, you can get them to go from point A to point B....but trainable? It sure wouldn't hurt to try! I'd go clicker method and see what happens.
I'm picturing otters at Sea World.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Lol.

Actually ferrets are very VERY trainable.. especially to go through obstacle courses and what not.. i.e. jumping through small hoops.. running up and down things.. fetching. etc.

As for sitting still.. next to impossible. Food is an amazing remedy.
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

See! Otters! Sea Otters!

They gotta be related down the line somewhere.
Michael J.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
My ferrets (actually ferrets are just weasels with an uppity attitude), only kept still when they were exhausted and just dropped where they were and fell asleep. Holding them in loads works fair if it is a bag like load, and dark and warm. But as said above, a ferret will figure a way out of almost anything and it doesn't take much space for them to squeeze through. I once produced one, set it down on a table, it immediately lept to the floor and ran up the pants leg of the the man from the audience who was assisting me. Got a great laugh, especially with the dance the audience volunteer did, but was the last time my ferret made an appearance in the act.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Many years ago I debated between a ferrets or a
monkey to add to the show, well the monkey won.

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning