The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Sleeve Toss (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Kevin W.
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Kevin W.
I was just wondering what kind of props would be good for a sleeve toss. Does anyone use cards, and just throws them out toward the audience? Any ideas on props would be great.

Thanks,

Kevin
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
If you are talking about misdirection during a sleeve toss, just about anything will work. You could grab a handful of spaghetti and toss a bird out of it and people will be amazed. It's one of the strongest pieces of dove magic there is, in my opinion.

Tony Clark uses a mask, Jason Byrne uses an origami dove, Sperris uses a boomerang, others use fire and smoke. As long as it makes sense, you can do it. The good thing is, you can make it original.
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
Justin is right.....The key word in his post is.....Original.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4864 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
The prop you use is to create the impression that it changes to a dove. If done right, you don't need a prop at all. The effect is the same. You're reaching out into the air and producing a dove. It's the same as a bare handed dove production except you're doing it from the sleeve. So as Justin said, you can use just about anything (or nothing) you want to create the effect.
Where the magic begins
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Kevin,
What do you like, what is familiar and pleasing to you? If you can answer those questions, you will come up with something every bird handler will wish they'd thought of first.

Kregg
POOF!
Kevin W.
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Kevin W.
Okay, thank you very much for all of your help and advice. I will try some of your ideas.

Thanks Again,

Kevin
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Kevin,

These folks are not putting you on. There is no "right" stuff unless it fits what you're doing in the show. When I do my rope routine without a volunteer, I toss the left over rope! It gets me back into dove magic and I can transition on into the rest of the dove act.

Scheme! (We tend to use white things but I'm not sure that is important either.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Bob, absolutely. I guess if you use something that is the same color as the dove.. it tends to look like it "melts" into the dove. I don't think there is a better magic trick in the world than something that looks like it changes into something else... right before your eyes.
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Try crushing a white rose and tossing out the petals. (Taking the rose out of water a little while before the show may help to make the petals float better.)

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Hey Kevin,

I go over sleeve toss theory and principle in my Xtreme dove magic DVD, I took it off the market and only put it up on ebay now and then, but I've been getting too many emails about it so its in the new MERCH section of my website. The magicians area has just been added for some of my other products and is password protected, but the password is easy if you're a magician, just put it in and push the button.

Andy Amyx also goes over several dove toss ideas on his DVD as well.

Good luck!
DANSPERRY.COM
Kevin W.
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Kevin W.
Okay, thanks for the advice.

-Kevin
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
I use to do a routine where I would pull a string from my assistant, the string was Flash String about 15 inches long and
Then I open my assistant’s hand to see fire in her hand, then I put the bottom of the string to her fire in her hand and the string becomes a white silk, I open it to show both side then make it into a ball, and when I toss it up it become a dove, I did this routine to music.

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning