The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Dove Levitation :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
brendan_670
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of brendan_670
I don't remember where I saw this effect at, but its where you hypnotize the dove, lay it on its back on your palm and it floats in midair. Does anyone know where I can get this?
I'm sorry if there is already a post on this-I can't do any searches right now.

Brendan
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
There are several out there, but Dan Birch http://www.danbirch.com carries one. Hope that helps
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
The one purchase in my career that I regret the most was the Dan Birch dove levitation. He does have other great products, but I just was so disappointed when I got this one in the mail especially after what I paid for it.....

Take care,

Bryan
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Care to explain why? i.e. poorly made, stupid idea, impractical etc
Nick
AEdwards
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
106 Posts

Profile of AEdwards
I have not had a problem with Dan's dove levitation. don't take this the wrong way but I think it's more the performer preferance than product. As with any good effect or illusion it's gonna require pratice and a proper presentation. If what you want is an outta the box miracle then this or mainly any thing dove related will be disappointing.

Later, Anton
http://www.antonedwards.net

Shattering Reality
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
I have seen his act on video and the dove suspension (not levitation) looks good, but you can tell it takes lots of practice keeping still and not moving any part of your body other than the hands is critical.

There is a awkward looking cleanup move on the video.

His Lazer thru balloon gets a better response.

James Adamson
http://www.seam2006.com
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Tannen's Magic use to sell a version of this effect. You might want to check their web site.

It is also explained in one of the Supreme Encyclopedia of Dove Magic (out of print). Not easy to make. Requiring a lot of soldering skill.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Brendan,

I made one years ago from the Silvan method shown in the Supreme Dove Encyclopedia that wmhegbli mentioned. Without digging, I think it is Vol. 4. It's a great effect, does require some skill when making it, and definitely takes a lot of practice. It is also not your best friend on angles. I did get a nice series of photos in the local newspaper performing it though, so apparently they liked it.

I really had to modify the original plans to make it function better than it did without the modifications. Mostly this had to do with getting the bird to levitate further from my body, so it did not look like I was wearing a dove belt buckle. There was more to that modification than the obvious.

I also needed to make adaptations to account for the weight of the bird, so it would not cause the whole contraption to dip downward. That's about as specific as I can get here.

If I recall, Joseph Gabriel did this once on Johnny Carson's show.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
I own a Dan Birch's version, but sold off cos I can't use it due to my costume arrangment...it works fine...just that the price is a little expensive...but I like his method....think Only Tannen & Dan Birch sell this.
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
I too have purchased the Dan Birch levitation. After being a fan of his other products, I have to say that I was disapointed with this one, especially for the price. Costuming is critical to making it look right. I personally feel that it looks like a dead bird on a stick when it's done, even by the best in the world. I think that the biggest problem is that the bird has to lay on its back... the only time anyone has even seen a bird on its back is when it's dead.

Dan's product was well made, but I have to say that the biggest disappointment was just the price. If you feel the bird looks like it's floating when it's 8 inches away from your body and laying on its back, then it will be perfect for your needs. If you are expecting a full on levitation, you better get to the drawing board.

Hope this can help.

Dave
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I could not disagree with the post so far on the price of Dan Birch product. $159.00 is not a lot of money for a reputation making piece of equipment. Yes, if you are a hobbist and just want to see how it is made, then yes it is a lot of money, but for a working performer, no way!

You are getting his creation and experience, and this must be paid for. Other wise, others would have made their own. Now, I do not have the equipment, but I have tried to make the one in the Encyclopedia of Dove Magic, and it is not easy, any part of it! If any of you can make the trick cheaper, please do so, or stop complaining about a very low price.
puckmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, Florida
260 Posts

Profile of puckmagic
I used to own the Silvan Dove Suspension from Tannens. It was a cool idea but impractical for my needs. I have to applaud Joseph Gabriel though who has a great presentation with it. I think the convincer has more to do with his passing of a metal (linking ring looking) hoop completely around the dove. Audiences are also wowed after they see the dove flapping after floating as though it was trained to stay still.

I also own a Dagger Suspension for a dove made by Lauren C Michaels. It's presented like a sword suspension but for a dove. It was a novel idea but never made it into my dove act. I did notice thought that it utilized the same cradle as the Silvan I purchased earlier.

Anyway, I guess it really comes down to personal preference and show structure.
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1890 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
My friend Thomas Clark makes home made dove pokets,bags,take apart vanishes,ect. and he is making a new concept dove lev that is going to be great!his site is http://www.magicsax.com just mail him or check him on ebay he is a great magician and semi-dealer.
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
I hate to disagree Bill, but, for $159 I was expecting a more professionally made piece. My dove levitation looked like it was made by a 8 year old at 4-H camp. Maybe I got the only one that looked like this, but I've spent thousands of dollars on tricks, gimmicks, and equipment and this thus far has been my biggest disappointment. Also the method is not at all difficult to figure out on your own, in fact, that was another disappointing thing. I figured for the money it was going to be some magical method that I hadn't thought of yet. Just my opinion, nothing more. Like I said, Dan does have other outstanding products that I use on a regular basis. I buy a certain product he sells that others sell as well but I like his the best so I get mine from him. My intent is not to bash anyone here.

Take care,

Bryan
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Did I just get called a Hobbiest?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2006-03-05 15:59, DaveWomach wrote:
Did I just get called a Hobbiest?

I would imagine you did not purchase this just to find out the 'secret' did you? I did not think so! So NO you were not refered to in my previous post!
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Hahaha... ok good! :o)
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1890 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I forgot to mention he may sell the lev. for under $150 knowing him.
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
I also used to own the Silvan Dove Suspension from Tannens.
I never had a problem with it. Use it mostly in my music dove act for the adult shows. But I would love to have one that would levitate and go up and down, not just stay in the same spot. But that’s my opinion.

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I have had the Silvan Dove Suspension for years! I just bought and am waiting (back order) on Dan Birch’s Ultimate dove levitation at hocus pocus.

I thought that this newer method would be more up dated and better then the Silvan gimmick. Reading the above post I think that I screwed up!

I guess I will see if I can get out of the deal since I have been waiting for over 6 weeks.

Which is better? What kind of costume arrangment do I need?

Best
Ray