The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Suit Jacket/Tuxedo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
How do you guys feel about performing with a suit jacket.. opposed to a tuxedo...

Do some of the older guys around here frown upon it?.. I've always been curious.

Just figured I'd start some interesting conversation.
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Well Justin, I know I'm only 60, but I often do it! Many times a tux is really out of place. It is also evening dress. There are shows at other times.

In fact, the blue blazer and slacks is a common costume for me.

Now as for those old guys...

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Not sure if by answering this will classify me as an older guy...I rememeber back when I used that term..hahahaha..any way Justin, I would say it all depends on the show that you are going to do. I would not appear at a 8 year olds bday party in a tux, but would dress slightly casual, nice close but not a tux. If you are preforming on stage I use to always wear a tux unless I was doing a theme act. What type of act do you have and maybe we can be more of a help.

Steven
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Hey Steven, I knew a magician several years ago that did all his kid's birthday parties in tails. Talk about looking out of place. Anyway Justin, a suit jacket is perfectly fine and remember you don't have to do body loads, just because you're working with doves. A tux sometimes telegraphs that you're going to do dove magic. At least to me it does. Coming out in a regular suit might throw the audience off a bit and that's not a bad thing.

Well, there's an opinion from another one of those older guys.
Where the magic begins
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Well, here is my take on it *smile* - It all depends on the venue as stated. If you are working close-up, a suit coat works fine (for me at least), although on stage, I am in tails. Wearing tails to do walk-around is a little, well a lot out of place I think. Although I am a dove worker on stage, people expect me to wear tails only because that is what I am known for. When I am hired, that is usually what people want to see, so they expect the typical tail look. Now, I have shown up with a suit coat and still did doves, but it took away from my classic surrounding. But, there is no wrong answer in this case, right? *smile* -

Dave, I actually do birthday parties in tails to start. I later change into another coat (part of a routined show). The kids enjoy it to see a live penguin walk up and producing birds *haha*, but the last inpression is the suit coat I am wearing in the end.....anyhow.....I am rambling....
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Hey Thomas, I agree there is a place for everything and I can see how wearing tails sometimes at a birthday party would fit. I think it depends again on what you are doing. The guy I knew was very tall, over 6 ft and thin. On stage he looked like a magician but in the living room, doing sponge bunnies and the milk pitcher, he just looked out of place.
Where the magic begins
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Well thanks for the responses old guys. And by that I just meant older than me. I'm 20.

As for my act, I already switch between a tux and suit jacket, but was just curious as to what you guys wore.

And Dave you hit the nail on the head. When I'm in a blazer and a dove comes out, everyone always seems more appauled.

As for body loads, I feel they are a necessary to my act. Yes, they aren't the only form of dove magic.. but I've always felt the simpler the better, and for some odd reason I don't feel as professional if I have the doves everywhere on the stage BUT my coat. lol.

Btw Dave your doves are doing great. They are a regular part of my act, and boy are they little hams.

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
When I started doing magic, I wore a tuxedo. After doing shows in Hotels and restaurants, I was often called upon by the restaurant customers for the menu and complaints about the service. I was oftentimes mistaken as the Head Waiter. From that time on, I switched to jackets and tails. Also, I always attach some glittery stuff to them. Never again, will I want to be called as a "Head Waiter".
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
My Tux does not have tails and looks like a Suit Jacket in many ways. I feel that it can be used in multiple shows. Do I wear the Tux all the time? No, I do not.

James Adamson
http://www.seam2006.com
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
When I do kids birthday shows, I normally don't wear a jacket at all. Black pants, black shirt and balck bow tie sets me aside from everyone else and sitll gives a professional appearance.
Where the magic begins
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
It's all about your persona and the imagine you want.
Jackets are good...
Daniel Faith
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Especially blue ones, right Daniel?
Where the magic begins
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
I wear a tux for my stage show. You could probably tell that from my avatar. lol. In any case, I think it just has to do with the image you are projecting and tone of your act. Lance was the MC for our magic club's annual fundraiser. SInce he just did "stand-up" type of effects as the MC, he wore a very classy suit. No tux or tails.

Cris
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I could load eight doves in my Jacket. Four on each side. With tails, three on each side plus two on each side of the tails. That was a long time ago when I was younger. But now, I only use one dove. I guess it's old age.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
I can't load as much as I use to. No room for the geritol.."Old Guys" Listen here you whipersnaper....Oh my gosh I am now my father..Couldn't help it..hehehe. I am so glad that..whats his name..oh yes JustinDavid has place to come to get his help. Now get off my porch kid..Sorry I am done now.

Steven
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
LOL Steven.. you guys are too much

I'm actually not looking for "help" per se.. I've bought my outfits a year back and man would I be PO'ed if I had to not only buy them again, but replace all of my pockets (took me weeks to get them right)..

I go with the casual/rocker look. Personally that's my style, so I always figured why not incorporate that into my act?

It's not sloppy in any way. I use an old black Italian linen suit coat (very old fashioned looking) and a very plain black tux.

You guys really are helpful, and we "youngsters" really do appreciate how much wisdom you "old guys" give us.

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I prefer "matured" rather than "old" Smile
Where the magic begins
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
How about seasoned? *haha*
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
I think the word everyone is looking for is "wiser".
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Look what I started. LOL

www.JustinDavidMagic.com