The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Parakeet Magic Questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JamieLeigh
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of JamieLeigh
I want to do magic with my parakeets. Do you know if anyone had a video or dvd on training parakeets? Are there and "dove holders" for parakeets?

I'm able to get baby parakeets in my area. Is it best to hand feed them? Do you know of anyone who has their parakeet fly out and come back in the show, like a dove toss? How would you train this?

Jamie
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hey there Jamie. Parakeet magic has been done before, yes, and is possible. The thing to remember about parakeets is that they are noisy birds, and when they are in a stressful situation, or nervous, they will make a lot of noise. It would be difficult to actually use a holder on the bird only because of its sharp beak. These birds, as yuo probably already know, use their beaks to climb, tear, and bite (seeds), so putting them into a 'holder' may be difficult only because they could tear the material with the sharpness of their beaks. I am sure someone here can refer you to someone who actually does a great parakeet act, but covering these birds can be hard. I had two Cockatiels that I tried to use in my shows, but they got to the point where if they were to fly to someone (they loved shoulders), they would bite them on the ear, especially if a woman was wearing shiny earrings. That is one thing that you have to take into consideration. But, would love to hear how the progress is coming. There are apparatuses however that you can use to produce parakeets though, and would still be a good effect. Just be cautious when using birds with sharp beaks is all...sometimes they are tempermental..
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Don't worry Jamie,

don't be worried about the sharp beeks. Parakeets are extremly smart. If they are well trained they will not bite you at all. There are 2 books on parakeet magic, one was sold by Tannins and the other is from Ramond Galindo, who also makes parakeet droppers (these are perfect for steals). There is one video out from a young man who is often posting in the Café, I don't remember his name. Also stevens magic has a video on parakeet magic, I hear it isn't great but does describe the holders so you can make them for yourself. Most of all just remember the size and shape of these birds! YOU CAN PALM THEM!

I swear after a few months with mine I know anything is possible with them...

DJ
Wade Live
View Profile
Veteran user
Earth
322 Posts

Profile of Wade Live
I know my buddy Dave Womach just put a video out. Contact davo!

http://www.davewomach.com
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I second the vote for Dave Womach... 2-volume bird magic videos are great!!! He is going to be releasing a video specifically geared towards parakeets... Not sure when... He is a busy guy!

(Ironically, his wife's name is Jamie Leigh Womach...thought I'd throw that in...thought that was cool!)

Bryan Gilles
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Hey Jamie,

I do have a series on bird magic that does cover some parakeet concepts. I'm in the process of developing several different parakeet magic props... including a parakeet holder that would serve as a dove bag type thing. The release mechanism on it is great, you'll love it. I'm still sourcing the manufacturer, but I think we have one nailed down... so it shouldn't be too long before they're on the market.

My magic videos are off the market, as I couldn't keep up with them as I was traveling... however, I'm going to be stationary for 4 years, so I will be re-releasing them, along with some other products. Hope this helps.

Dave
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
There you have it! Straight from the man himself...