The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Female or male (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magicguy67
View Profile
Loyal user
mEL.fLORIDA
287 Posts

Profile of magicguy67
Im getting 2 doves soon should I get 2 males or 2 females or 1 male and 1 female?
they thought it was impossible until they met me.

theres no reality in magic

did the magician come before the assistant or the other way around.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
You might want to do a search through this forum as this question has been asked many times and there is a lot of information for new dove workers. Anyway, if you get two males, make sure your cage is large enough to give them each their own space. Male doves are very territorial and will fight for ownership. Two females will almost always get along just fine. If you get one of each, start thinking about whether or not you want babies.

As for performance, I use both males and females in my act but the females seem to be a bit smaller and more willing to do want you want them to do.
Where the magic begins
magicmanila
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
88 Posts

Profile of magicmanila
I also prefer females, like mr. scribner said, theyre smaller than the males.
but to each his own so... ;-)
PERFORM MAGIC AND NOT "PUZZLES" so the audience wont try to "figure out how its done".

KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!!!
magicguy67
View Profile
Loyal user
mEL.fLORIDA
287 Posts

Profile of magicguy67
How do you know male from female?I know size but is threr other ways like are there eyes bigger or something?
they thought it was impossible until they met me.

theres no reality in magic

did the magician come before the assistant or the other way around.
Eric Buss
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Eric Buss
Get 2 females... they are smaller, quieter, and friendlier to eachother
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
There is only way to tell for sure whether you have males or females and that is to have them medically tested. There is one other way. Once they lay eggs and they hatch, you'll know you have a male and a female. The male will sit on the eggs from about 10 AM to 4 PM. Then the female will take over for the night.
Where the magic begins
magicmanila
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
88 Posts

Profile of magicmanila
Ha ha ha, yes only a person who has been with these birds for a long time will know their nesting schedule Smile I used to think that you could tell them by the way they coo but its not a 100% garanteed method.
PERFORM MAGIC AND NOT "PUZZLES" so the audience wont try to "figure out how its done".

KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!!!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
You don't have to be with them for a long time. It's pretty much common knowledge that the male sits on the nest during the day. I can almos set my watch by the schedule my birds have.
Where the magic begins
DoveDaddy
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of DoveDaddy
If you choose only female doves I suggest you consider getting several extra
"back-up" doves otherwise you will on occasion find yourself unable to perform your act. This is because at any given time you may find half of your female doves are indisposed because they are "down" laying or preparing to lay eggs. If a female dove is down, but hasn't laid both her eggs yet, you can not perform with her or else you risk death of your dove if the egg breaks inside her. As a general rule, if the dove is perched it's OK to perform with her, but if she has her belly down on the grate/floor or she is nesting in the feeding dish then DO NOT USE that dove!
magicmanila
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
88 Posts

Profile of magicmanila
Good advice dove daddy

KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!!!