The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Dove Permits (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
repairman36
View Profile
New user
Tunkhannock, PA
13 Posts

Profile of repairman36
I recently visited a site called the Dove Hotline, and from there I went to American Dove Association and on there was an article that any doves that are owned in North America, must have a permit. Is this true?

According to the web site, you must get one from the fish and game commission. If any other Magicians know about this, Please let me know. One more question, I got my doves from a breeder and there are little thin brown bugs on them, How do I get rid of them? I have tried flea powder. But they are still there. They don't seem to hurt the doves. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You
Tony C

Smile Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Tony: There should be a reference to a web site on either the Dove line or the American dove association page that directs you to the actual regulation. The rule does not apply to magicians and their doves. You really have to read into the regulation and even then, if you aren't a legal type person you may be confused.

A few years back, I actually sent a request in for clarification and that was the response. In regard to the little brown bugs, your doves have mites or lice but mostly likely from your description, they are lice. Depending on how infested they are, a good flea and tick powder should work but a trip to the local aviary vet wouldn't hurt.

For about $10.00 there is a medicine that you give the birds orally once every ten days and it clears them up. Make sure you have a "cage protector" on the bird cage at all times. They last about a month but will keep your birds free of mites.

As a side note, if you just got these birds, you may want to contact the breeder.

Dave
Where the magic begins