The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Nervous Doves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Cole
View Profile
New user
Calgary
63 Posts

Profile of Cole
I've recently purchased two adult white java doves from another magician. They are a breeding pair. But, they seem very scared whenever I reach my hand in their cage to change food, water, etc. I try to handle them as much as I can but they still seem very nervous of me. When I do handle them they usually just fly around my room. My question is this: How can I get my doves used to me so they want to be around me and so they're not scared of me.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you!

Cole Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Cole: It just takes patience. Adult doves are a little harder to train. How long have you had them? Try this. Don't feed them for a day. At the end of the day, put some seed in one hand and let the dove perch on the finger of the other so he can see the seed. Start the training that way. They have to learn to trust you and being fed is a good way to start. Once they start perching on your finger, gently stroke them along the wings and from under the bill to their legs. They will step up on the finger as it approaches their legs. Let me know what happens and if I can help you some more.

Dave
Where the magic begins
Cole
View Profile
New user
Calgary
63 Posts

Profile of Cole
Thanks Dave. I will try that. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again!

Cole
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
I agree with Dave, it will work, I know. I have done the same a lot. And after they perch on your finger, make a "ladder exercise" with interchanging fingers. They will love it. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
jlareau
View Profile
Loyal user
Henrietta NY / Chicago Ill
220 Posts

Profile of jlareau
Hey guy's, I just bought myself a pair of ring-neck doves today. I've given them plenty of space and toys in their cage and I plan on handling them as much as I can daily to get them used to me. I would appreciate any further advice that you guys may have in breaking them in and training them. Also, I don't plan to start doing routines with them for awhile but I would appreciate any opinions on good routines to try and learn.

I've always wanted to do some dove magic, and I'm really exited about performing with these awesome creatures!

Thanx

Jonathan Lareau
Jonathan Lareau A.K.A "Jonny Card Trick"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Feel free to check out my website www.jonlareau.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jonathan: you're off to the right start. Handling them every day is not only good but essential. They have to learn to trust you and be comfortable with you. I could go on for days with tips and routines but the best suggestion I think would be for you to get a video on doves. There are many out there but I'd suggest Tony Clark Unmasked. He shows training, feeding, care and some simple as well as more involved effects. I'm more than willing to help you if you have specific questions. Seems like I've been doing a lot of that with some other Café members lately. That's what we're here for after all.
Where the magic begins