The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: USDA now requires magicians to have written disaster plans for their rabbits (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
Oh, boy, Daz. 28 pages!!! Ha. That's priceless. More power to you.

Yeah, I was tuned in to Cavuto and saw that the royal baby would probably fill the time. I think a rabbit with a 28 page plan rates the spot, really. (wink) Please keep us posted on the Fox spot or any other. We'd like to see the coverage.
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
Marty, Priceless story (Washington Post). And ... thank you for the link to your plan.
dazmagic
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of dazmagic
We are making progress. Late yesterday, the USDA announced they will not enforce the disaster plan rule because they now need more time to study it and to decide how to best proceed. Here's the latest story featuring yours truly again, in the Washington Post.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/u......ory.html
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Absolutely love this video:
http://hartzler.house.gov/video-gallery

Rabbit story gets more unbelievable! Missouri Congresswoman Vicki Hartzler (and she's not even in my district) went down to the floor of the house and went after the USDA on Marty Hahne's behalf!
Dennis Michael
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
It seems that the conservative media is making quite a bit of mileage out of this like they do whenever any government regulation is put into place. And, it seems that the president is being called to task for this regulation as well. Congress enacts legislation that makes it possible for government agencies to act. The president is responsible for enforcement through those agencies Not only that, but some magicians will make publicity out of this incident and money as well. My only question is what happens to a farmer with a couple of thousand turkeys or other livestock when a tornado or other disaster is looming? Do they have to have such disaster plans in place? Do they have to move all those critters into the basement? The USDA may be going too far, but it's not the president's doing and the law is the law. If you don't like it take legal action and get it changed.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
This hit national news yesterday, on ABC Live with Kelly and Michael.
Dennis Michael
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I find it strange that I got my renewal license back in April, and that I have not had my inspection yet.

Has anyone had their inspection?
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Mine has slowed over the past couple of years... low on staff to do the inspections, plus it does seem silly, you should see the look on my inspectors face when he shows up ... he knows???!!!!!!?? it is silly. but we all play nice.lol. I do get some inspections at state fairs when I am on the road.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Hey wiz..... just finished up my paperwork here on the road...... needed to get a vet visit in for the plan of care paper work, could not fing time at home to get a visit in with our home vet,,,,, so here in Lubbock we found a vender booth for vet care... they called their vet, they came in to do the paper work for 35 bucks, so my paper work is complete for ny surprise inspections on the road...now we just need to wait for the inspection at home hope all is well for you my friend
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Still no home inspection, and this is now 6 months after I got my renewal.

I have a disaster plan written up. I'm pretty sure all of us magicians would do as much as possible to protect our rabbits from disasters. There are some disasters that are so bad humans even die.

Chris, how is your Toucan doing?

Chris W.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Kantu is doing great....he is here with us in lubbock texas at south plains fair. He says hello to you. Lol
dazmagic
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of dazmagic
John Stossel on Fox News did a good job covering the rabbit license story--it just ran the other night 11/16 as part of his special called, War on the Little Guy. I did two segments--here is a link to the first part--just over two minutes (don't have a link for the second part) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3z7piLREOg
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I'm into my 3rd. year now having a license. My license was renewed in April, and if I'm not mistaken the disaster plan needed to be ready in September. Anyway, I wonder if because of all the negative press, I have not gotten my inspection yet this year.

Has anyone still had their inspection after the negative press?

Hopefully, this will no longer be needed.

I still find it funny that if I raised rabbits to eat I would not need a license.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Apparently the issue hasn't been addressed yet. USA Today just ran a new article about the Agriculture Department rule that technically requires magicians who use animals to have permit and file a "disaster plan" explaining how their bunny will be cared for in the event of floor, fire, etc. Nearly three years ago Agriculture Department regulators were directed to carve out an exemption for magicians and similar acts, but government moves slowly and the rules still haven't been changed.

Here's the new story on the topic:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/polit......5439070/
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I had an inspection a couple of weeks ago, and my agent did not ask for my disaster plan.
I do have one. I was not asked for my disaster plan last year or even the year before that either.
Do I think all of this is BS, yes! I find it weird that if I raised rabbits for eating, I could have 100
rabbits in one cage. No vet visits or inspections from anyone.
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
The other day I asked Marty for a copy of his disaster plan. It made for interesting reading... If you like statistics and government regulations. Marty mentioned that the whole USDA disaster plan requirement has been put on a shelf. I Googled "USDA disaster plan" and came up with the following at the USDA web site:

United States Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service

Animal Welfare Act Contingency Plan Final Rule

Effective July 31, 2013, USDA issued a stay of the Animal Welfare Act Contingency Plan Regulation. This means that, until further notice, dealers, exhibitors, intermediate handlers, carriers and research facilities using animals covered by the Animal Welfare Act do not have to comply with the contingency planning, training and other requirements of the Contingency Plan Regulation.

Planning ahead for emergency situations remains an important tool to help facilities weather disasters and emergencies. A good first step is to contact local and state emergency management agencies to work through animal needs and resources important to each facility.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Based on the date, I believe this was implemented because of all the publicity stirred up by Marty (yea Marty!). With our current administration, it is extremely unlikely we will see any legal requirements for rabbit disaster plans in the near future... Smile
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Cheers, Marty! This is something of a relief.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
168 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Hi All,
I have 2 new rabbits all rehearsed and ready to hit the stage.....any updates on this? Any one been visited by the LiveStock police recently?
thx
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
I've used rabbits in my act for years and have not been hassled, nor have I heard hide nor hare of this requirement since Marty's intervention.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
This is crazy... almost hard to believe... So sad...