The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: What bunny should I buy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Good luck Candini. I live so far from my rabbit breeder that we have to set up meeting places also. I shop via phone and then we see when & where we can come together. He usually comes within 50 miles of me quite often going to rabbit shows. He doesn't mind bringing some that I want to see, and I'm under no obligation to buy, so it works for me. I have bought from 2 other breeders and a pet store in the past, but he is by far the best. I have several more convenient options that are closer to me, but his bunnies are the best I've ever found. They are more expensive, but I am willing to pay it.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Regan,

You've been a great help. This breeder came up to send his partner off to NY with rabbits. He said they got caught up a long while with security and all the rabbits....He showed me the teeth on my rabbit and I felt it was a good buy for sure..I just hope I will still use my black rabbit for shows (Houdini owned a black rabbit).

Here is the website of my breeder:
http://ctrabbitry.tripod.com/

Climate controlled barn for year round breeding. I put a tarp over my hutches tonight cause we have rain and 40s.....
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
It sure is good to find a breeder that you can really trust. When I started out, I had to learn the hard way. I bought one from a pet store that ended up being a mix and it got too large. So then I did a lot of researchand learned what I needed to know to make a better decision. After I had found a good breeder, (not the best yet) I wanted another whit buck, but she didn't have any at the moment. She recommended another breeder that she knew. Well, I bought the cutest little white buck you ever saw...only it was a doe. I didn't know for a while, but I noticed a big difference in temperment. When I found out, it all made sense, and I guess it was good experience for me. I could use the old Ben-Hur joke in honesty. The breeder I use now is awesome. He keeps lots Netherlands in many, many colors, and he shows them all the time. My main bunny that I use 90% of the time is a show bunny that I got from him. He already had a tatooed ear before I bought him. He was not a top-of-the-line show bunny, but he was going to let his kids enter him in some shows, and he was certain he would win some ribbons. He went from a model career to being a magician's partner.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
That's great. I've been fortunate also. I was just waiting for 9 months to see how big my first one would be. He is 11 months now and 2.7 lbs, just a tad over the 2.5 lbs I hear mentioned for Dwarfs. I haven't seen too many 2 lb dwarfs.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
It's difficult to keep them that small. It usually takes the right breeding stock (small bloodline) and they can still get over 2.5 lbs. sometimes. If the bunny is registered, or a show bunny, you can look at his papers and check his bloodline to see the weights and colors of his ancestors. Genetics are usually a good indication of what you are getting.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Caution
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of Caution
My favorite is the mini-Rex. They stay small enough to fit in most bunny boxes and train well. They keep their size in summer and winter for the most part. I've had mine for many years and he loves it.
Mike
UBKuel, IBkuel.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Mike,

I have heard that the Mini Rex sheds less than other breeds. Is this true?

Regan
Mister Mystery
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Manitoba
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
Hey

Try a Hotot breed. I use it in my shows and he is beautiful!! He is a fairly new breed, pure white and has natural black eyeliner around the eyes. They do not grow large, and are perfect around kids. Buy a baby male, I had a female which was a little too agressive around kids.

Let me know if this helps.
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Does anyone know where I can buy a Netherland rabbit? I live New York. I willing to travel a little I mean to Mass., New Jersey, and any where near New York. So if anyone can help me let me know.
Thanks
Mike
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Just to update C&T Rabbitry has its own domain now.

http://www.ctrabbitry.com

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I bought my rabbit from C&T....excellent customer service!
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
I don’t think they would ship a rabbit. Maybe I can find someone around here not sure where to go yet.
mike
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Mike,

Talk to Cesar. I didn't travel down to C n T to get my rabbit. As a matter of fact, he was traveling to NY with several rabbits when they delivered my bunny. And what a nice bunny he is!

Candini
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Candini,
Thanks allot. I will get hold of them and see what I can do. May I ask how much they go for or how much you paid?
mike
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
I have paid as little as $20 for a pure bred Netherland Dwarf bunny. The last bunny I bought was the most expensive ever for me. I paid $65 for him. I have no regrets. He is the best rabbit I have ever owned. He is a show quality bunny. He even has a tattoo in his ear.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Mike,

My white netherland dwarf male was $35. He was two months old at the time.

Candini
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Well I got say that is not bad at all. I am really going to get one again. I had one oh my he was the best rabbit I ever had. He wouldn't do much of anything. He'd sit in my box and not move. He wouldn't do much of anything; he was great. I had to move and couldn't keep him. So now is the time to get a new one.
mike
imagique
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of imagique
When talking with breeders, the Netherland Dwarf description for the type that a magician will use is a REW... Ruby Eyed White. Mine all last about 8-9 years. They have very short ears, and stay tiny.

JF
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Welcome to the Café JF.

I have used Ruby-Eyed White Netherland Dwarf bunnies, but I currently have a Blue-Eyed White. I bought him so I would have a perfect match to my Blue-Eyed Black bunny. I no longer have the black bunny, but I also currently have a Himilayan, and a Smoke Pearl Marten. I use them all in shows sometimes, depending upon which routine I am doing.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
My rabbit turned out to have a problem with his teeth. Just wanted to mention that on this thread.