The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Tail steal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Jonathan's tail steal was first done by Jason Byrne in his act before double vision, I think he told me he may have used it in double vision, but even before that I believe the concept goes back to Brett Daniels when he did birds if my memory serves me...
DANSPERRY.COM
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Your memory does serve you Dan....
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
LarryTaylor
View Profile
New user
Miamisburg Ohio
72 Posts

Profile of LarryTaylor
I would much rather steal from my hip than from my tails. I have been taught however by one of my many mentors (Larry McMechan) to use the tails steal. In an emergency situation. For example dropping a silk. This occurs of course after a Dove has been topited in the tail as a vanish. Otherwise, I would rather not use it.
Magical Entertainer,teacher and creative consultant.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
Another vote for Andy Amyx's tail steal presented on his video. Very simple, elegant, and effective. I also recommend the Books of Wonder by Tommy Wonder. His "tails topit" is something I hope to implement...some day. It can aid in invisible harness pulls without drag as well.
imagique
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of imagique
I do a profonde style steal from my tail topit/pocket. No harness, but I'm using the same dove that was vanished earlier in the show. The steal is not appropriate for a manip or silent act. It's part of a burned and restored paper napkin routine. Upon restoration, I raise the napkin high and release it flat/horizontal plane so that it floats down like a parachute. As it gets lower than the thigh height, I bend to grab the napkin, across the body with my left hand, reaching to the right. At the same time, my right hand dips into the tail topit. The act of bending brings the tail topit higher than usual, and the dove is delivered into the right hand. When I catch the napkin, I begin to stand up again, and the dove is 'mashed' (in sponge ball terms, not literally mashing the bird) in with the napkin into the left hand as the hands clear the top of the right thigh.

It's a subtlety, timing thing, but it is indetectable, even on video.

Now, I'm not using tails any longer, so I use a custom made clip on my belt, in the small of the back. There's a trick to making the bulldog clip hold the load extra high enough off of the belt to wear a regular jacket or blazer. Contact me if you're interested.
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Jason Byrne & Greg Frewin in their double vison act, using a very visual tail steals using bounching yellow ball, very visual & cool..esp both steal at the same timing...indeed double vision Smile
Jeff Kellogg
View Profile
New user
Boston
52 Posts

Profile of Jeff Kellogg
Is that the one where he throws the ball over the back of his shoulder? I'd argue that's not a tail steal at all.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2005-02-27 10:13, Jeff Kellogg wrote:
Is that the one where he throws the ball over the back of his shoulder? I'd argue that's not a tail steal at all.

No it was during the dual act. Both had unique ways to produce, vanish, transform doves. They were not refering to the current act.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
I think General Grant's lecture notes talk about using the tails of the tux for steals and vanishes.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4864 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Gen's notes cover the vanish but not a steal.
Where the magic begins