The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Other animals (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1954 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Iam thinking to bring my snake in my act. It s big 2.5meter long python and she s quite heavy. If you have any ideas for my big snake will be very appreciated.
Thank you very much in advance.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
I know someone who once used the birthday gift surprise with a ball python. Also, I think Tommy James' Library Rabbit Production would suit a snake nicely.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
See above, my post for July 19!

I just remembered! It was the late, AL ROBBINS. Al lived to be almost 100!

This thread has certainly had some "interesting" posts!!!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Al Robbins....is that the same Al Robbins who was the Banana Man?
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
No, Richard...That was "A" Robbins! I never did know what his first name was! I never saw "A" live. He and Senor Wences were the "show within the show" in a vaudeville 'history' movie, in the late '40s. I think it was, "I Remember Mama". Dan Dailey starred.

Years later, I got some "dubbed" VHS tapes of "It's Magic", a black & white TV show of the early '50s. Many of the top magicians from the New York area, were on this half hour "local" production. --A. Robbins, Roy Benson, Al Flosso, Fred Keating, et al. It was somewhat like a 'two act, vaudeville'!

The '40s movie had both Robbins, and Wences, doing their acts in a hotel room for the children of "Mama", and Dan Dailey. Robbins didn't have his "train"! It wouldn't "fit" in a hotel room! Wences did his little boy routine (the fist puppet, somewhat like Jay's "Lefty". They were both "#7" (next to closing)acts!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I've used button quail - I don't recommend them.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Back in the late 90's, our radio station had a remote at a car dealership. I had just bought an M-Glass and was going to do the white silk to white mouse trick between on-air breaks. It worked perfectly-except...the white mouse jumped off the table. The women screaming and standing on chairs was CLASSIC! I was told to NEVER do a magic trick at a remote. EVER!

Doug
Rook
View Profile
Special user
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2017, Dougini wrote:
Back in the late 90's, our radio station had a remote at a car dealership. I had just bought an M-Glass and was going to do the white silk to white mouse trick between on-air breaks. It worked perfectly-except...the white mouse jumped off the table. The women screaming and standing on chairs was CLASSIC! I was told to NEVER do a magic trick at a remote. EVER!

Doug

The imagery there is hilarious!
...and here I am 8 months later *still* pondering ways to incorporate my corn snake (She's kind of resistant to that dove pan). Hrmn...I already do productions of rabbit, dove, and am working on fish. Perhaps something other than production would be warranted...maybe as a "danger" aspect to one of my escapes...

I'll probably ponder another 8 months...

-Roald Dahl
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I was doing a stage show.

I was using button quail for my cups routine because of their size and their very short tail. I had 6, for a second reveal. At home, they were ok, a little nervous.

On stage things got bad. When I first put 3 under the cups, they started jumping and the cups would jump around. Then the three I had stashed away started jumping all over . . . and onto the table. I was panicking trying to catch these little birds as they ran out into the crowd.

I was completely humiliated with the crowd laughing at me. Later found out that the crowd thought it was on purpose and it was "the funniest thing they'ed seen".
Rook
View Profile
Special user
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2017, KC Cameron wrote:
I was doing a stage show.

I was using button quail for my cups routine because of their size and their very short tail. I had 6, for a second reveal. At home, they were ok, a little nervous.

On stage things got bad. When I first put 3 under the cups, they started jumping and the cups would jump around. Then the three I had stashed away started jumping all over . . . and onto the table. I was panicking trying to catch these little birds as they ran out into the crowd.

I was completely humiliated with the crowd laughing at me. Later found out that the crowd thought it was on purpose and it was "the funniest thing they'ed seen".

Good lord, I am sorry to hear about your experience! That said, I can't help but laugh...
My wife used to raise button quail (she also made the smallest omelets ever!). Those little ones can be very skittish. So glad it got played off as part of the act!

-Roald Dahl
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Really, you just stuff an animal into a strange environment without any pre training. Horrible actions on your part.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Who said I didn't do pre-training? I didn't. I said they were fine at home. Maybe it is a reflection on you? Always nice to see someone jump to negative conclusions. Bill, perhaps you should inquire more before you insult someone - it is terribly rude and immature.
JCISBACK
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of JCISBACK
Here's an idea. How about a monkey production. Use a mini fire cage.
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
I've seen dogs used and I think Penn and Teller used Madagascar hissing cockroaches for a gig on David Letterman (only use the males in case they get loose).
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
My competition here uses a monkey production from a fire cage.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Quote:
On May 20, 2017, KC Cameron wrote:
My competition here uses a monkey production from a fire cage.

Now to see if my wife would let me acquire one! If the whole magic thing goes south for me, I'll just get a crank organ!
...don't think he'd get along with the rabbit, though....or the wife.

-Roald Dahl
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
It is good in advertising. Not too many have a monkey.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Quote:
On May 23, 2017, KC Cameron wrote:
It is good in advertising. Not too many have a monkey.

From what I understand of the commitment it entails, there may be good reason for that!

-Roald Dahl
Rook
View Profile
Special user
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
I just acquired a used, extremely sturdy large drawer box on Ebay. It was this awful bright yellow with multicolored star stickers all over it, so I removed the stickers, distressed it a bit, and misted it with a bit of brown paint to darken it up a bit. It's still ugly (which actually works for my presentation), but not garish. The thing is built like a tank and works like a dream.

Okay, the animal part: My snake loves this thing. It's easy to load her in, and she settles in and gets comfortable (heck, I'm even using it as a holding area for her while I clean her cage). Now to flesh out the routine and rehearse her a bit more before going in the act!

-Roald Dahl
hollywoo
View Profile
New user
Kentucky
18 Posts

Profile of hollywoo
Working on this bit where I'm a wannabe superhero who's worked hard and can now manifest, with a great deal of effort, some weaker versions of superpowers (mind-reading, x-ray vision, etc.). Just had this idea of saying, "And now, like Spider-Man..." and conjuring a tarantula.