The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Doves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
themaestro
View Profile
New user
TX
50 Posts

Profile of themaestro
I've been working with doves for over 20 years and I wouldn't count on them acting better in performance on stage than in practice.

I saw an act at the Japan FISM 1994, thought by some to be a top contender, totally fall apart because doves on his stand were
"getting it on." Not that he did anything wrong, except not reaching over and putting a stop to it. It's just no one could concentrate on his very serious manip act at all.

If the doves are used to doing it in your living room when you practice, they'll be likely to do it in performance.

My suggestion would be to condition them not to do it in practice. That would mean that the cage they are placed in when produced is a different cage than they are ever kept in otherwise. Then after the birds are produced in practice and placed in the cage, if he starts beating them up or standing on top of them, put a stop to it. Either by knocking on the cage, or manually separating them, and continuning to do it. If they get used to not being able to do it whenever they're in that cage after being produced, they'll be less likely to do it in performance.

Of course this may be kind of frustrating as it will require you stop in the middle of a practice whenever this occurs for a good while. And the longer they've been allowed to act up, the harder it will be to break them of the habit.

If you cannot condition them to not act up while in the cage before you're about to go mad, then other courses of action might be advised. Apart from getting rid of the male, you could consider producing and putting him in the cage last. Or perhaps not putting him in the cage at all-vanish or transform him perhaps.

Nowlin Craver

P.S. Dang. I just noticed how long ago the message I was replying to was posted. Ah well.
Nowlin Craver
Stevenleeaugust
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Stevenleeaugust
Kingsnqueens
You said it. Please everyone, think before you get the animal. Both you and the animal may regret it.

Read the "Rant" page of The SnakeBabe's at
http://www.snakebabe.com/rants.shtml
scroll down to Lions tigers and birds...
the entire page and her other interviews will give you a new outlook on animals in shows.
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
I'm now super happy to report that I'm now the proud owner of 2 beautiful, healthy white doves. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Thank you to all of you who replied to help me out, and thank you especially to Dave for all your help.

:approve:
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4861 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
No special thanks needed. I'm just glad I could send you the doves. Although it did get a little touch and go there for a bit didn't it. The postal service is a wonderful thing???

Dave Smile Smile
Where the magic begins
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Oh yeah, wonderful as a kidney stone!

:rolleyes: Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4861 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Just thought I'd explain a little about the recent post between myself and magicman0323. I shipped two doves to him on Monday and the post office lost them in transit. We are only about 3 hours apart so go figure. Imagine yourself in a cardboard box for several days when the temp is close to 90%. It took hourly phone calls to the express mail center and two full days but the doves finally arrived safe and sound. The tracking process was as simple??? as passing a kidney stone??? which I seem to do often. I've shipped birds many times and this is the first time I've had this experience.

Dave Smile Smile
Where the magic begins
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Lost big time! Smile

The post office said they didn't have ANY documents on the birds at all. They were not sure where they were, the post office on Dave's end said they sent them out. The post office on my end said they didn't see any live birds come in, and the post offices in between didn't know anything what I was talking about. After about 4 trips, and 6 phone calls to the post office, they called me back. I got a little excited thinking they found them. But instead what I got was....

"Sorry sir, your birds are lost. The only information we have is that he did send them out, but the express mail person didn't see them at all. However we are looking into Colorado for you, and we will call you when we find out more information".
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

When I went to bed, I couldn't stop thinking about these poor animals. I don't like being in a hot car for 10 minutes, let alone inside a box, inside a car, for 2 days. I was still being optimistic, but the clock was starting to count down for them in my mind for sure. Smile

I woke up the next morning, with my fiancee shouting.......... Smile

"THEY FOUND YOUR BIRDS, YOUR BIRDS ARE HERE". Smile

The post office called us at 7:14 am and told us, they found them and they are waiting for us. We drove over and picked up the box, and brought them on home. Smile Smile

I'm guessing that 2 packages with the same shipping number, one being the doves, the other going to Colorado got mixed up, then again who really knows for sure. The important part is they are here alive and well. Smile

Although that doesn't explain the signed anniversary waltz card along with the coasters from the Tower inside the box when I got them does it? Smile Smile