The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: New Ducks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
Hey Sam,

The Pekin Duck already seems to like the Duck Bucket - But I also have a couple other effects that I may use one or more with including a Vanish and Reappearance as well as a possible production of several of them in my Fire Cage

Mike
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
These critters have been real fun to work with here. I'll have to see how they travel. I have had an order in for Call ducks for six months now. My chickens from last year are ready but this years chicks are too small for what I need them for. Each breed has it's own personality traits. My Black Astralorps are the most social of breeds but the all black coloring doesn't lend well for the show. I look so forward to the Call ducks.

Doc
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1135 Posts

Profile of magicusb
We are looking to buy one or two call ducks.

Any Leads

Thanks
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2010-05-25 18:27, raywitko wrote:
Hey Lucy, I didn't know you were on here. I use chickens. I like the silkies. Do you have any?
Ray

I use to have 3 silkies......2 hens and 1 rooster. They were beautiful, but that rooster was the meanest son-of-a-gun ever! He and I had some battles!
Mister Mystery
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
My call ducks came today, lost one already due to my own neglect in giving them availability to water openly. Baby ducks will drink themselves to death. Water must be given in controlled doses. As much as they want for 4-5 minutes only with an hour or two between watering. I had to buy 6, now have 5, only need 1-2. Might sell but need to look into shipping.

Doc
www.drsolar.com
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
Mine drank a lot but I guess I was luck - all are outside now in a large cage I built - Next task is to fence in a part of the yard and create an area they can come out of the large cage and be in a contained outside environment for lots of exercise - Need to be careful as we do have hawks and other birds of prey here and don't think they'd go after the Pekin Duck when he is fully-grown but the Call Ducks might be another matter.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I had a female Pekin Duck that I used for years. Natural born comedian and plenty of eggs!

As Lucy mentioned, when confined in a dark space, she was super quiet. In her crate backstage... a whole different story!

I got her when she still had mostly yellow down, but was beginning to grow white feathers. She bonded with me quickly, and was pretty easy to train.

I made a production bag, similar to "The Shower of Sweets". I would produce her from a fountain of silks that had a 6-footer in the center. I made the bag with an extra long closure flap, and readjusted the velcro over time, as she grew. It was the only device I ever used her in, and she became very comfortable with it. When she was produced, she would land on my hand, straddling my forearm. After getting slapped stupid, I learned quickly to keep my face away from flapping wings! Ha-ha!!

Somewhere here, I have a studio photo of my assistant holding her, and you'd swear the duck is smiling!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
We want to see that picture, please dig it up and post.
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Hi Michael,

Any way to get a drawing of the pattern to make the production bag? I figure it is a three flapped affair but not sure. Shower of sweets? Is that in Tarbell?

Doc
www.drsolar.com
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Michael,

Again, any info for the shower of sweets production would be helpful. Is it in Tarbell? As well, the duck bag? The legs must be extended out the bag because my Runner Duck has like motor legs, always moving. Any help would be appreciated. If possible, a drawing either emailed or snail mailed.

Thanks,

doc
www.drsolar.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hi,

I apologize for the delay on this. My computer is down and I'm working with a dinosaur right now. My ONLY line of communication is through Café posts and PMs. I can read email, but I cannot write or send any. I can't do anything with photos or images right now. As soon as I get all that resolved, I'll post something and I'll dig out that smiling duck photo, too. Smile

The Shower of Sweets is described in the book by that name by Tom Osbourne. It's a thin pamphlet actually. I cannot get to it right now because all my books have been packed for a move later in the summer. It may be available on The Learned Pig, but not sure.

I modified that basic design for my own use.

Anyway, the bag... visualize an upside down cone made of fabric. I used heavy satin, shiny slick side to the inside. Satin is slicker one way than 90 degrees (example up and down instead of sideways). Orient the material when making the bag so the slick direction is the direction the duck will exit (and enter) the bag. Since mine was made from black satin, the shiney side was to the inside, and the outside was more of a flat black. Naturally, you should base color on what best suits your other involved props. Black just was a good all around color, good for a number of applications, and camouflaged well.

The cone, when laid flat, looks like a long triangle, with the opening along the short side. The size of this cone will be based on the size of the duck. One side of this opening has an extra flap of material, in the shape of a shorter triangle. This can fold over the opening, sealing it closed. The fold is one side of the short triangle. The other 2 sides each have a strip of velcro running their length. The corresponding velcro is on the bag itself, so folding this flap over the opening of the bags lines it up with the velcro and seals the bag closed.

The sealed opening will be the bottom of the load, once the duck is inside. The opposite end, which is the point of the long triangle (or cone) has a large ring attached. This is the handle that you will hold. If I recall correctly, I think I used a length of 1/4" copper tubing bent into a circle about 2 1/2"-3" in diameter. I made a satin cloth tube that covered this ring. Sew it vewry securely to the point of the cone. In fact, push the point of the cone through the ring, fold it over and sew it to itself. This will make a strong connection. You will need it to be secure, because a full grown duck is a heavy bird.

The duck will be loaded through the opening, head first. The duck's head will go toward the point. The duck's feet will be tucked under the body, and the flap will close up and over the tail end.

When the bag is lifted by the ring, the duck will be in the bag upright, resting on it's butt, with the flap directly under it. Because of the cone shape, the duck is loaded far enough forward that a nice snug fit is achieved. Just don't squeeze the life out of the poor bird. A snug secure fit will keep the duck's legs and feet pressed comfortably against the duck's body, preventing the duck from clawing away at the inside of the bag. This is important for the duck's safety. If it feels secure in the bag, it will not thrash about and will remain calm.

The duck will be 100% inside the bag when loaded. Nothing sticks out.

It's a good idea when you make the bag to cut a couple small air holes near the duck's bill. Best to keep them far enough forward so the duck's eyes are not near them enough to cause a problem. It is better that the duck not be able to see out of the holes. I hopefully should not have to mention this, but don't do any cutting on the bag when the duck is inside. If you need to check the fit, do so and mark with some white tailor's chalk where you need to cut, sew etc., and do the cutting when the duck is safely out of the bag.

Ok, so assume the duck is in the bag. The load is stolen by whatever method you choose. Sometimes, I would have the load hanging from behind a table, but this usually means the duck must be loaded for a long time. I preferred to have an assistant load the duck right before it was needed, and then shuttle it on behind a roll on table, or even held against her/his upstage side. Misdirection is a wonderful thing! Smile

In the latter case, the assistant would simply hand me the load as we came close enough to make the exchange. this was done under cover of something like a large foulard. I used a silk fountain with a 6 footer in the center.

The load is held by the ring with the cover scarf over and in front of it. I could still see the load from the rear. It was not completely covered.
When it came time to produce the duck, I would hold everything high, and my free hand would grab the point of the flap triangle, and pull straight down. This instantly opened the bag and the duck drops out the bottom by gravity.

Now this is VERY IMPORTANT!!! You must catch the duck!! Because I had one hand on the flap the duck was guided directly down onto my wrist and forearm. The duck's legs straddled my arm, and my palm up hand would cradle the duck on the breast. The duck would be balanced on my forearm, its feet unable to push against anything, but its wings would definitely open. Be ready for that, with your hand held forward, or the duck's wings will slap your lights out.

The scarf and bag are handed off or otherwise ditched, so you can then get a two handed hold on the duck, as quickly as possible. It's a big, heavy bird that will soon get out of balance if you don't.

Alternately, you could produce the duck on the floor or a table top, as long as you don't let the poor animal drop any distance in the process.

I'll mention this also, but I was tempted to let some of you find out the fun way... restrict food and water before the show, or you might find youself holding a super-soaker that quacks! Ha! Holding the duck as I described will recolor you up to the shoulder. I know this from experience.

Since I cannot post photos or drawings right now, if anyone has trouble with this description, and needs a drawing, send me a SASE and I'll make a quick drawing for you and mail it back.

Hope this helps.

Michael Baker
2711 6th Street NE
Birmingham, AL 35215
~michael baker
The Magic Company
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Michael,
Thanks for the description of the bag. It's a lot better than what I've been using with the chicken. Always wanted to remake my bag when I find the time. Are you going to Bob Sanders in September? Would like to meet you.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hi Ray,

I do plan to be there! Originally, I thought I would already have moved to Illinois, but it seems that will be delayed until later in September or early October. I'll look forward to meeting you, as well!

Who else is going? I know Tabby will be there.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Michael,
Haven't heard from anyone else about going. Bob said there are a lot of people going.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Thanks a lot Michael. sorry to hear of your computer problems. Bob Sanders has a get together? Or just friends? I will sketch out the bag as described but I may need the sketch.

You are obviously not a two finger typist like myself. Quite a move planned. Were you on the coast?

Doc
www.drsolar.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hi Doc,

Here's a link to Bob's event. http://magicvalleymagic.com/

Hop a train and head on out. It should be fun! Best price you'll find anywhere, too.

I am about 15 miles northeast of downtown Birmingham, which is about 250 miles from the coast. Illinois is my original home, and yes it is a big move. I'll have to break down my workshop, and also pack up 20 years worth of accumulation in this house. I've been sorting and packing boxes for a few weeks now. I sure do have a lot of crap... Smile

If you need the duck bag sketch, like I said, just send me an envelope to mail it back in. Piece of cake to make really, if you know how to sew or know someone who does.

BTW - I AM a 2 fingered typist. I probably could have MADE a duck bag in less time than it took me to type out the description! Ha!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
Where in IL. are you moving? I'm in Evergreen Park, southside of Chicago area.
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I'll be moving to Peoria, but once I get settled, I expect I'll explore the "neighborhood" a bit.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Dr. Solar,

We want you here with Michael Baker, Ray and other magicians and their guests.

http://magicvalleymagic.com/

It is FREE! Fun and in September.

Plus, as of yesterday, we have new baby ducks! (There are six of them!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Hi Michael, I was able to purchase the book yesterday from Byron Walker seller of books and printed magical notes, lectures etc. If your drawing is the same as the pamphlet, no need to send one. I haven't read through it yet. Thanks for the link to Bob's event. I will check it out. Next week I head to Vent Haven convention in Ft. Mitchel,Kt. There goes my frequent flyer miles. hopefully I have enough left to go see Le Grand David before September when any unused ones expire.

Doc
www.drsolar.com