The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: DOVE EGGS (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
Thanks guys, you're most helpful.
Today, I removed the first egg from my doves, felt horrible about doing it, but I guess it's something you gotta do.

This might be a stupid question but how do the eggs get fertile?

Durgy
https://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Doves are just like humans. The female has the eggs and the male fertilizes them. If you watch your birds, you may be lucky enough to see the male sitting on her back flapping it's wings like crazy. That's the start. It usually follows a routine where he puts his beak in her beak. Kind of like kissing.

This doesn't mean the eggs will be fertile but that's the process.
Where the magic begins
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Yes, and before anyone asks....just because a bird lays an egg, doesn't mean its fertile. They lay eggs all the time, its just part of the natural, healthy way. Think about it, all the chicken eggs we consume, and none of those are fertile (although I have had a couple that when cracked open there was something in there - not living of course), so , I just thought I would throw that in befor it was the next question.

How do you know if its fertile, right? Watch the egg. If it turns a solid looking color after about a week - 2 weeks, its most likely fertile. If it stays clearish looking, then most likely not. If after 21 days or so, nothing happens, then watch out when you throw the egg away, because when it crack open...WOW, what a nasty smell!

*haha*
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
You can also hold the egg up to a light or candle (it's called candelling)and if you see a form inside, it's most likely fertile. Otherwise it will be clear. This takes a little practice to understand what you are seeing and you only want to keep the egg out of the nest for a very short time.
Where the magic begins
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Quote:
On 2006-12-06 23:03, Dave Scribner wrote:
Doves are just like humans. The female has the eggs and the male fertilizes them. If you watch your birds, you may be lucky enough to see the male sitting on her back flapping it's wings like crazy. That's the start. It usually follows a routine where he puts his beak in her beak.
Kind of like kissing.

Dave is right about the birds doing a routine where Mr.Bird puts his beak in Mrs. Bird's beak. It truly looks sweet, but if you watch closely you will discover it is not quite as romantic as human kissing.

To woo his honey, Mr. Bird does the most romantic thing a dove can do for his mate: He puts his beak in hers and regurgitates (vomits) food for her. This apparantly makes her feel really special. (I would rather receive roses) Ah, love. Ain't it grand? Smile
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Yeah, Autumn, I think the last time that happend to me was in my college years, and wasn't so romantic! *haha*
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Alpha, no! I think I was at the same party Smile
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Alpha and Autumn, with each other? Now that would be a coincidence wouldn't it Smile
Where the magic begins
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Oh gosh....that was you? *haha* Ah well, you just didn't have the right seed mixture is all...I am more the meaty seed, and you gave me some generic bulk stuff.....I have $5.00 taste, not $2.00 taste...so sorry. *grin*
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Oh, and you forgot to regurgitate meal worms........I love those!
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

There is no doubt in my mind that at some future magic convention I will find a box-o-mealworms in my information/welcome bag compliments of you guys Smile Or I will win some magic trophy and the cup will be full of mealworms. Geez, I had better be careful and not give y'all ideas! Smile
Doug Henning
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Think of the possibilities, Autumn. Meal worms to dove, or barehand production of meal worms (might be tough getting an IDH on one though):lol:
Where the magic begins
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

You're killin' me! Reminds me of the guy who produced a bunch-o-cockroaches on David Letterman and they ran all over his desk. Who was that?
Doug Henning
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
I think that was Jack Hannah, and also Penn and Teller did it, and got banned because they knew that Letterman hated cockroaches.