The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Dove from Newspaper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
Concerning dove from restored newspaper> a tried and true method (providing the item is an opener or close to it) is to simply use a #10 business size white envelope with the opposite corners torn out for the dove's head and tail. Put the dove to be produced in the envelope, seal the envelope and body load it under your tux suspenders (ol' timers!) or into the top of your cumberbun.

When the restored paper is being displayed in front of your body, just load the dove/envelope behind the paper and crumple same around the dove/envelope. When you're ready to produce the dove it's an easy matter to tear open the envelope when tearing into the crumpled newspaper and then take a well deserved bow.

easy/neat/inexpensive/clean Smile

Julie
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Good advice Julie - I have also seen it done with actual newspaper itself. Cut the newspaper to fit the dove, and fasten it with black sewing thread. The L**p can be put through an extra thickness in the front being held with tight wad of newpaper (balled and flatened). When produced, there is no flash of any sort seeing as how the newspaper is newspaper. Crumple and throw away.

The only issue was that it had to be done quickly, in the beginning because if there was any moisture from body heat, the ink would run. How do you combat that? - simple, place a white piece of paper as a lining. More work, but very effective.

As Julie said - Easy/Neat/Inexpensive/Clean
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
All good advice but I still like doing it without a dove holder at all. Solves all of the problems.
Where the magic begins
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Ah....we found the professional! *haha*
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Where, where??
Where the magic begins
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Haha to the above 3 posts. =]

And thanks to everyone for the help! I love the idea Tom! And when I was reading I thought the ink would be all over the dove, but then saw the last sentance! Great thinking! =]

I was practicing this last night with the blue holder you, Tom, gave me, and I did the whole T&R effect (practicing infront of the mirror ofcoarse) and then made the steal while crumpling up the paper, but its just too hard to open the holder with all that paper in the way..

SO, what I did was this: I did the whole T&R effect, then held the closed paper in my left hand along with the l*** on my thumb, and the steal was made.. The dove was now hanging in the holder behind the newspaper.. I showed my right hand empty, and went behind the paper to open the holder with one hand, then perch the bird on my finger and bring him up.. In reality, the hand is behind the paper for no more than 5 seconds..

What do you guys think?
-Vinnie

Posted: Dec 8, 2006 5:04pm
Anyone have any help for the way I produce the dove in my above post?

-Vinnie
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Smoke & Mirrors
It sounds good Vinnie, do you make it look like the dove comes from behind the paper though, or from the center of the paper? I think it's cooler to make it look like it appears from the middle of the paper.

I also do a "T&R to Dove" which is always a huge hit as an opener. Do any of you then perform a dove vanish? And how many dove productions should I have before it becomes boring to the audience? I have produced 5 before and then used them in a dove to rabbit cage, but is it too much?
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Thanks Smoke&Mirrors!

Well, it looks like it's coming from behind the paper. As I said before, it's really hard to crumple up the paper with the dove loaded inside, and then open the holder (expecially with the type of holder clasp on my holder).

I really need to think about this. Maybe I'll just do an IDH production, but how could I do it so it would make sense?

Thanks,
-Vinnie
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Smoke & Mirrors
>>Well, it looks like it's coming from behind the paper. As I said before, it's really hard to crumple up the paper with the dove loaded inside, and then open the holder.

Your right, sorry I missed that. I usually make mine from newspaper itself. Ok, just an idea, what would it look like, after restoring the paper, to then begin ripping the paper again and to use the (inv H)to produce the dove from the shreds of paper as they leave your hands. Could be strange but mystical looking?

Aaron
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Hey guys. I have a stage performance coming up for my SAM assemblies Holiday Dinner, and I would just like your guys' thoughts on the final part of the act:

I will introduce a newspaper and do Gene Andersons Torn and Restored Newspaper.

NOW, this is the part I am stuck at (as you guys know).. Up to this point, you guys know I want to have a dove production, but don't know how I should do it.. As you know, I tried practicing crumpling up the newspaper and producing the dove out of that, but the way the dove holder I have is made, it would be hard and would take too long to produce the dove. I really don't know what to do at this point. I thought about using an IDH [but I don't know how to incorperate that with the newspaper]
PLEASE NOTE: I tried making the dove holder from real newspaper as Tom (Alpha) said, but it didn't work too good for me. I don't like the method all that much and don't feel it is too safe either.

PLEASE guys, any help, comments, or criticism would be GREAT being that the performance is this Friday.

Thanks so much guys!
-Vinnie
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I've seen a video of you producing a dove from some playing cards. It's the SAME THING. Use your harness, not a holder and simply bring out the dove as you BEGIN to crumple up the paper. Finish crumpling up the paper BENEATH the dove so it can land on the top part of the paper. If you follow my earlier advice and do it head on towards the audience, it will appear to be coming from the paper. Try it in front of a mirror and check it out yourself. Good luck on the show! I know you can wow them with this act! Don't forget to make us a video!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Thanks for the help Spellbinder!!

Dave also PMed me with a similar thing.. I'll post it here for you guys to see:

Dave wrote:
Quote:
If you are going to use an IDH, you could simply fold the restored paper in half from left to right getting the loop at the same time. Fold the paper in half again toward the audience and while doing that, push the paper forward a bit and produce the dove. It should come out sitting on top of the paper. Takes a little practice and timing. Make sure you have enough time to get it down before doing the show.

I will start practicing both these ideas tomorrow and let you guys know how it goes..

But in the mean time, give me more thoughts! =]
-Vinnie
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Also Vinnie, you can use a holder, but just don't close the hook on the top. Place the dove in your holder, and only fasten the velcro in the back, not the hooks in the front. Hold the holder closed with your hand, and then place the dove into the Poc**t and the dove will be secure. When you produce, just produce like you would a regular holder, only this time, there is no need to undo the hook and the dove will come out on its own. Coming out of the pocket will release the dove. Almost like a one handed release with no actual work.
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Thanks Tom.. I tried that last night and it looked very good! don't know which one I will use when it comes time though.. Lol..

-Vinnie
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Great Vinnie.. Glad to help....You'd be surprised that a little practice and experimenting, you can come up with your solution before you ask. *smile* Asking is a good thing though because we have all probably been there, but work those brain muscles! *haha*