The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: greatest dove work of all time.. (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Jonathan R
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Jonathan R
What about Tony Clark, and his "phantom of the opera" act. It's very polished and deserves credibility for originality.

Jason Byrnes act, is great, and especially his "play-dough" production, as well as his twin birdcage production.

Regards,
MavericK^ Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4861 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Maverick, you are correct. I don't know how I could have forgotten Tony Clark. He was one of my inspirations when I got started working with doves. He should definitely be on this list.

Dave
Where the magic begins
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
I always admired Bobby Clark, a personal friend and one of the early pioneers in the work. From what I understand, designed some of Pollock's dove bags. What he may have lacked in grace he made up for in guts and creativity. Very bold productions.
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
EranRaven
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of EranRaven
It has to be Amos Levkovitch, by far. Between the character and the dove handling he should be on the top of the list. The end of his show when they all fly back from the audience is amazing.
magic mike
View Profile
New user
Michael M.
88 Posts

Profile of magic mike
Can anyone tell me where I can find videos of any of the great dove workers mentioned on this forum, particularly one of Channing Pollock? Incidentally, General Grant does his act on his two part teaching video called "How To Make A Living Stealing...Doves Of Course." It is worth getting if you're serious about doing dove work. Smile
Channing Pollack is my idea of the perfect magician. For those of you that have not seen him perform, I recommend trying to get hold of a video of an old movie called "European Nights" made about 1959.
I was able to buy this video from Stevens Magic
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Aren't you guys forgetting Tony Clark and Victor and Diamond.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4861 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Dynamike: Tony Clark was mentioned in two previous posts and rightly so. Only my personal opinion but while Victor and Diamond are good, I don't know if I'd classify them as the greatest of all time.
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
My bad. Smile I didn't see Tony Clark previously. But I do like Victor's lecture tape.
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Quite a few of these are a bit 'afore my time, but deserve mention nonetheless, for blazing a new path, for those of us to follow.

The Kardwells
Channing Pollock
Don Alan
Paul Mc Kamy
Cantu
Jack Kodell
Ermando
Richard Cardini
Jack Gwynn
Tung Pin Soo (Al Wheatley, confetti in soup plates to dove creator)
Mystic Hanson Trio
Ron Urban
Ballantine "Come out Flying!"
Carl Naether
Jimmy Reneaux
and of course "DEL RAY"

Respectfully submitted,
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
While I might not have seen quite as many dove acts as some of you as it is not my forte. I have to say although I love Shimada, Gabriel, Cielen and of course Pollock.

Lance Burtons Gaslight routine is simply the smoothest and most attractive dove routine ever.

I know its been seen a million times and has lost some of its special quality to magicians but it is simply the best.

Matt
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
I think a guy who has a totally killer act that just makes you sit back at the end and go "WHOA" is Rick Thomas. Although he may not be as original as some other workers, as far as he's not like molding clay to birds and turning doves to snakes (I mean no offense to Jason or Jonathan, p.s. "hey guys") But Rick is just plain smooth and a commanding performer with a strong act that I think deserves a lot of credit.
DANSPERRY.COM
magic mike
View Profile
New user
Michael M.
88 Posts

Profile of magic mike
Has anyone ever heard of Dan Birch, another excellent dove worker. One of the best I've seen. You can catch his act at:
http://www.danbirch.com/video_gallery.htm

Let me know what you think of him. Smile
Channing Pollack is my idea of the perfect magician. For those of you that have not seen him perform, I recommend trying to get hold of a video of an old movie called "European Nights" made about 1959.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4861 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I have seen Dan perform and think his act is tremendous. He has some very original stuff and is a smooth performer.
Where the magic begins
david walsh
View Profile
Regular user
Bonnie Scotland
183 Posts

Profile of david walsh
I haven't seen so much reference to dove acts, therefore I cannot guess at the greatest.

Channing Pollock however, I have seen clips from his act on television, this was a dream to watch and I look forward to seeing more.

Shimada I know by reputation alone, I also look forward to seeing this act.

As for Lance Burton's FISM act, this is what has recently inspired me to look further into dove's. I may be new to the subject, but I am not new to magic or routine building.

This act is a wonder to watch. His stage presence is second to none. I have seen dove workers produce six, seven or eight doves, vanish a couple here and there and finish with the cage vanish, while this is obviously possible to structure meaningfully, it seems to require a remarkable performer to be able to carry it off. I have seen manipulators go on and on with card productions and vanishes for ever and a day, without structure or meaning. I have seen respected close up workers bore an audience in lecture with fifteen minute card routines.

If I ever see a dove act I prefer to this one I will be over the moon. I'm in no position to disagree with anyone naming great acts I've yet to see. However, I do agree with those who have mentioned this act.
David.
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Burtons FISM Grand Prix Dove Act.....

Ok ok..I'm a little biased. Lance has ALWAYS been my favorite magician of all time.

Chris
magic mike
View Profile
New user
Michael M.
88 Posts

Profile of magic mike
You can get a 1959 film called "European Nights" for $42.50 from Stevens Magic Emporium. It has Channing Pollock performing his world famous dove act. This is the act that spawned hundreds of other dove acts. His act is still considered one of the best ever, even though some of the new methods of producing doves, such as bare hand productions, were not known then. A very attractive, elegant, polished and sophisticated act.

Tony Clark, Shimada and Gen. Grant who is at ggmagic@aol.com all have teaching videos in which they also perform their dove acts. These are also quite excellent.

Dan Birch can be seen doing his very original dove act on his website given above in my last post. http://www.danbirch.com

George Saterial is on the 1991 NYCAN MAGIC CONVENTION doing his dove act with his signature Grandfather's clock. There are some other great dove acts that can be seen on some of The ABBOTTS Get-togethers from 1992, 1993 and 1994. The clips and portions of acts include Jason Byrne, Dr. Thiet and Amos Levkovitch.

Lastly, Cardini as well as Channing Pollock and Lance Burton can be seen on the PBS SPECIAL two part video which I believe is called "The Art of Magic", is also available at Stevens Magic.

BTW, awhile ago, I actually asked this same question you just asked. The resulting information in this post was obtained by doing my own research. I hope this information helps you.

In fact, I'm in search of two of Amos Levkovitch's teaching videos in which he also does his act in one of them. They are called: "Dove Tails' and "Just do it", which includes his fabulous dove act. His act has a spectacular finish but, I won't tell you what it is for fear of spoiling it for you.
His website is http://www.amosmagic.com

Good luck.
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
Lance Burton, Rick Thomas and Jason Byrne are among my favorite modern performers, but Channing Pollock is wicked awesome!!
Zaubern Smile
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Dan Sperry

If you haven't seen him, DON'T MISS IT!!!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Shimada gets first place with me and has for twenty years among the better known doves acts. But the most impressed I have ever been with a dove act was one that booked through a booking agency I owned in the early 1960s. His name was Mercer Helms and he was among the very first magicians ever featured on HBO. The man was a natural stage act. Not only did he do flawless magic, but he also had looks, could move like a dancer, and charm an audience from "Hello". He married into a well known television family and apparently quit performing. I doubt that he ever belonged to a magic club, wrote a book, took part in a magic competition, or lectured at a magic convention. None of those sound like the man I knew. But his dove work was definitely magic!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Johnny Thompson.

Enough said.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn