The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: greatest dove work of all time.. (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
My favourite bird act I have ever seen and still love to enjoy today was Lance Burton On Jonny Carson. Lance was Young, very passionate about what he was doing, and I swear to you, every single movement was completly impeccable. I can not believe my eyes when I watch a 22 your old man with an act that perfect. He must have had little free time in his childhood.

DJ
Stylesmith!
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Stylesmith!
I just visited with Celeste Evans who did a bird act ALL OVER THE WORLD. She STILL can do all her moves and she showed me a clip from an early Barbara Waters show in which she did a couple of silk tricks and then went about to produce doves and doves and doves and doves and doves. She wore a low cut dress AND DRESSED AS SHE WAS THERE WAS NO PLACE TO HIDE THE BIRDS!!!
dreid007
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of dreid007
2 thumbs for the one and only Gen Grant.
dreid
Hayre
View Profile
Loyal user
Arkansas
240 Posts

Profile of Hayre
I saw Bob Downey mentioned way up by the top of the thread, then no more. I saw him in the early 70s. He was really about as smooth as Pollock, but didn't have the handsome index Pollock had. Also, he was somehow off-putting, and not easy to like, even in his stage persona. Dour might be the word. But great....really great. He did these slow invisible steals using what looked like no more than an 18 inch silk.
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Malada,

You are talking about Jimmy RAY also known as Jimmy Dousant. Jimmy is retired now due to illness. He still does close up magic you would not believe. He is a very close friend of mine. He was one of the best dove workers in the world in his prime. I was very lucky to get the benefit of his friendship and get his help with my own act. He really is a ray of magic. The best all around magician I ever met. All this guy thinks about is magic, to this day.

I do that multiplying candle to dove and balloon to dove you mentioned, I still do it exactly as he taught it to me. Occasionally at a show, some older magic fan or magician will ask me if I learned that from Jimmy Ray, and I'm pleased to say I did. Thanks for remembering and mentioning a real master of Dove magic... Jimmy Ray.
Jethro Magic
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Jethro Magic
You guys must see Dan Sperry's bird act! Very original.(copycats beware)
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Re the controversy about whether Cantu or Jack Kodell came first. In 1960 Francis Ireland Marshall wrote a book about dove magic called "Come Out Flying." It featured short bios of lots of dove workers. On page 33 she say: "The photograph on the opposite page is of the great Cantu who began all the excitement about doves many years ago."
She describes Kodell as being "...in the Cantu Tradition." However technically Jack Kodell does not even belong in this thread which is about the greatest dove work of all time. As some of you know, and some don't Kodell worked with parakeets, not doves.

I'm glad that Hayre mentioned Bob Downey again. Sure he was not as good looking as Channing Pollock... but how many are? Pollock was more elegant, dressed better, and was more sophisticated. But the topic was about "...dove work..." And Downey was as smooth as Pollock. I suspect that Downey is not remembered because there doesn't seem to be a bit of footage around today of his dove work. (I have some footage of him doing close up.) I hope that someday some footage of Downey doing his dove act. Downey also invented magic and some of the magic in his dove act was created by him. A great many dove workers end with the Vanishing Dove Cage. Channing probably started that. But Downey had a different finish... and a very cute introduction to it. I'll describe them for you guys since I doubt if more then three or four of us ever saw him work. Just before his close he stepped to the Microphone and said: "A few weeks ago the four greatest magicians in the world were having dinner together in Las Vegas.... We.... (a very long pause here and a big laugh.) were discussing our favorite tricks. The following is definitely mine." Then he would vanish all of his doves in a small size version of the trick we know as "Where do the Ducks go?" However, as he took the box apart he actually showed both sides of every piece!!!

From reading through the thread I guess that Channing Pollock got the most votes for greatest. I can go along with that. But very closely on his heels, of the ones I've seen, are Downey, Dimmerre, Burton, Sylvan, Chen Kai, and the young Siegfried.

Did you guys know that Cardini worked on an act with parakeets. Two more very fine dove workers that have not been mentioned: Celeste Evans, Rene Septembre.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, Bob Downey was very good. I did see him work several times. I think I even have some still photos of him working.

I remember seeing Greg Frewin and Jason Byrne when they did Double Vision act. Some really innovative dove magic.

There are a lot of great dove workers. Unfortunately, with health regualtions and animal rights nuts, this type of magic is falling by the wayside.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Here's a clip of Channing Pollack's act which works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HPahq1c2yc

The steal at 1:02 is my all time favorite. I won't tell you the secret, but I will tell you that it's not a body steal.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Bob Downy... I remember him well. He was well received in Michigan. A good friend of mine has Bob's props, and some great footage. I loved to watch the footage. The way he pulled a scarf thru a finger ring then produced a dove from it was very sharp looking. He had some smooth moves. God bless Bob Downey.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
5. Joseph Gabriel

4. Greg Frewin

3. Channing Pollack

2. James Dimarre (I love the theme and the finale is such a great idea!)

The only dove act to almost completely propel a performer to a 100 million dollar contract is:

1. Lance Burton

I know money is not everything but it is a good measuring stick. Lance not only gained the respect of magicians his act is very popular with the lay audience as well.

DJ Trix put it very well:
Quote:
On 2006-08-30 22:32, DJ Trix wrote:
My favourite bird act I have ever seen and still love to enjoy today was Lance Burton On Jonny Carson. Lance was Young, very passionate about what he was doing, and I swear to you, every single movement was completly impeccable. I can not believe my eyes when I watch a 22 your old man with an act that perfect. He must have had little free time in his childhood.

I would only add to that it was rare for Johnny Carson to give and act over 20 minutes of uninterrupted time on his show. Johnny knew a good act when he saw it!

Quote:
On 2012-09-23 21:16, hugmagic wrote:
I remember seeing Greg Frewin and Jason Byrne when they did Double Vision act. Some really innovative dove magic.

I have seen Double Vision also and have been searching for a video of the act for years. It would be a a shame if this act was not caught on tape.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Either Greg Frewin or Jason Bryne should have a video of that act. It was not performed that many times. I saw it at Abbott's. Both guys kept parts of their joint act in their individual acts.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
aboycemagic
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of aboycemagic
I've been looking for a clip of Double Vision for a long time. As far as I know, there is definitely a clip of them performing at Hank Lee's Conclave and Tannen's Magic Jubilee or Camp. I also have heard the possibility of a Japanese clip and a couple of others after Jason left and it was Greg Frewin and Brian Michaels. If anyone finds one I'd love to see it. I'd also love to see a video of Brett Daniels dove act. I've heard some cool effects in it (like the dove of the ground from his shoe) and I've only heard of a couple videos of that in existence.
Alex
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2012, Dennis Loomis wrote:
Downey was as smooth as Pollock. I suspect that Downey is not remembered because there doesn't seem to be a bit of footage around today of his dove work. I hope that someday some footage of Downey doing his dove act.

Bob Downey's dove act