The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Lights...camera...action! :: videoing stage shows with white lights (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
Does anyone have any suggestions for videoing a stage show to keep the performer from being whited out? I filmed a show and the lighting was white and this made the performer look like a white silhouette. I was told that if he would have worn make up it would not be as bad but I tried that and the same thing happened.
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
You should be able to compensate by adjusting the iris control, if your camera allows that. You usually find that feature on higher-end cameras, and also check your white balance before you shoot. If you don't have a camera that allows manual control of iris and white balance, try shooting tighter shots. Long shots will be the hardest to balance, so 2/3 shots will look better on tape. Hope this helps! Smile
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.jamesanthonymagic.com
Patrick T.
View Profile
New user
Esslingen / Germany
39 Posts

Profile of Patrick T.
Hey!!
I just had the same problem. A friend told me that I was using the wrong lights. Can that be it?

Patrick Thomas
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I had no control of the lights. It was in a professional theater which had a good lighting setup but for some reason the persons on stage were whited out.
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
If you ever have control of the lighting, use no-color pink gels instead of all white light for the front lighting. That will help a lot!
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.jamesanthonymagic.com
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
840 Posts

Profile of RileyG
What type of camera was being used to film the event?
Did the camera person white balance before the event?
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
It is a Sony digital camera. I am not sure what model but it is only two years old. It has a lot of bells and whistles which I am now looking into to help fix the problem.

I am not sure what you are asking when you say "Did the camera person white balance before the event?"

Can you explain?
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
It would be nice to go through the camera's manual.

It will help you find out about how to set the white balance. You will have to set it depending on the lighting conditions. Outdoors or indoors?

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
Clarence
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore, City Central, Scotts Road
146 Posts

Profile of Clarence
Actually, make-up does makes a person's face pale or white.

A lot of it depends on the lighting. Smile
shinobi
View Profile
Loyal user
Durban, South Africa
272 Posts

Profile of shinobi
A White balance is a procedure you should do whenever you shoot under different lighting conditions. Basically, flourescent, incandescent, and sunlight have different colour temperatures.

So you zoom in on something white like a sheet of paper, and press the white balance button. This is you telling the camera that under this light, this is what white looks like.

The problem you descibed sounds more like the automatic iris opening up too much and burning out the persons face. What the automatic iris does is get the light level correct for the majority of the picture. The Levitator is spot on in saying tighter shots will help with this.
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
Thanks for your help. I am going to go home and play with my camera to see what options it has.
Buster
View Profile
New user
Virginia
10 Posts

Profile of Buster
The problem you experienced sounds like the iris on the camera was opened too much. Check the users manual to find out if you can manually control the iris. Also, if you try to white balance and the iris is open too much, the camera will usually tell you in the viewfinder that it can't white balance until the iris is brought down.