The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: More cup pictures on line (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have recently updated my cups and balls web site. I added about 2 dozen pictures last night.

The intro page is http://www.hocuspocusjr.com/cups.htm
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Nice photos and awesome collection!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Very nice !
I have only one set of cups, Paul Fox (copper) I bought from Ken Brooke many years ago. One of my better purchases! Smile

Riley
pepijn
View Profile
Regular user
Utrecht (the netherlands)
134 Posts

Profile of pepijn
Very, very impressive, I can't believe the amount. MAN!!!!!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Thanks! It's nothing compared to Tom Franks' "Wall of Cups," though. I finally figured out how to photograph these things with my cheesy digital camera.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

swatchel-omi
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of swatchel-omi
What a great collection !

Thanks for sharing the photos ! (They came out great)

Joe
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Bill,
Thanks for that link more so because it led me to browse through your own web site, which I enjoyed very much. Re: the cups, you and Pete Biro should get together. I think you two guys got the corner on cups. Though I suspect Harry's probably got a few sets too. My total cup collection: a $25 aluminum set, Pete Biro's Gali galis, and a set of Gazzo's that he used himself.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Thanks, guys! It is a lot of work to do that.

Pete is a rare resource when it comes to magic. He has an immense amount of knowledge and he shares it selflessly. He also knows a BUNCH about cups!

My cup collection may be an indication of a deeper problem!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Nice collection.

I have a cheap set of Aluminums....if you guys want I can photograph them Smile (sarcasm).

Very nice though.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Bill.... nice setup on your cups site... I gotta figure out how to do one myself.... some day... cheers
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
James, I have a few sets of cups and have a fair number of different chop cups and I am in a 12-step program trying to get over it (or at least control it!). The first step is admitting I have a problem!

Still, I don’t have anywhere near the breath and depth of a collection that Bill has. His is one of the best! I am honestly in awe of the collection. A big plus is that Bill has taken the time to display his collection, photograph it, and share it with us all.

I am looking for a Stainless Steel Galli Galli set. I will even consider trading my copper Galli Galli set for it. er…Bill ever consider trading a stainless steel set for a copper set?
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
That was a great tour de cups. The collection is fantastic as was the picture quality. Thanx for sharing,

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bill,

Great collection. I see you do not have an original aluminum Chop Cup the large one, not the master. I still have mine from 1960's. I think it is a Chop Chop item.

I had a Ken Brooke but it looked just like a Morrissey Cup so I got sold it of some years ago. It was a Master size cup.

You new display cabinet is very beautiful as well.

Do you have a marking system to keep track of the history info on each cup? How can you tell one from the other?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I'm thinking of getting a set of copper cups that I could load from my pockets. Maybe the Cellini's.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
What do you mean load from pockets? You mean NO pouch?
Email me.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-04-26 18:44, wmhegbli wrote:
Bill,

Great collection. I see you do not have an original aluminum Chop Cup the large one, not the master. I still have mine from 1960's. I think it is a Chop Chop item.

I had a Ken Brooke but it looked just like a Morrissey Cup so I got sold it of some years ago. It was a Master size cup.

You new display cabinet is very beautiful as well.

Do you have a marking system to keep track of the history info on each cup? How can you tell one from the other?

Thanks. The "Master Cup" instructions are from Al Wheatley. I know he made two different sizes. Chop Chop actually gave this cup to Cal. The originals were bamboo, though. I haven't found one of them yet. I'd like to get one of the old Ken Brooke cups. They are nice and big and will take an orange.

Thanks for the compliments, though.

Regarding telling the cups apart, you kind of get to know them. Each one has its own characteristics. I have had some of those for several years, such as the Stubbies, the ones that may be Haydens and the Indian cups.

But I'm definitely going to have to set up a code sheet for them.

The various types of Paul Fox style cups look a lot alike, but they aren't hard to tell apart at all. The same is true of the various styles of Bertram cups.

I have my tentacles out for a few others, though.

Thanks to everyone for the help and encouragement on these things.

Quote:
On 2004-04-26 17:42, Harry Murphy wrote:
James, I have a few sets of cups and have a fair number of different chop cups and I am in a 12-step program trying to get over it (or at least control it!). The first step is admitting I have a problem!

Still, I don’t have anywhere near the breath and depth of a collection that Bill has. His is one of the best! I am honestly in awe of the collection. A big plus is that Bill has taken the time to display his collection, photograph it, and share it with us all.

I am looking for a Stainless Steel Galli Galli set. I will even consider trading my copper Galli Galli set for it. er…Bill ever consider trading a stainless steel set for a copper set?

Thanks for your kind words. I don't know whether cup collectiong is an affliction, an addiction or a passion. Maybe it's all of the above.

My Galli Galli's are nickel plated. Pete makes them, so he would know if he has ever done any in stainless.

I have been doing a "Cups of the Month" presentation for our local ring since the beginning of the year. This month's was about Mini cups. I brought out four different sets and demonstrated how they fit into the pocket of a jacket, what size balls worked best with them, and what size loads they would take. At the end of the demonstration, I had 12 miniture cups lined up across a big close-up mat that I had made from a piece of automobile headliner. The center cup of each set had a load ball on top of it.

Then I lifted each cup and there was a load ball under every one of them. I caught them completely off-guard with that! They had no idea I was actually loading every time I put a cup mouth down on the table. What fun!!!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
Great photos and resources for the cups. Pete, I'm curious to know if Charlie Miller ever used the small brass Indian Cups produced by Morrisey?
Thanks, Vic
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
John Cass
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of John Cass
Bill:

How did you get all of those cups past your wife?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I told her they were trophies.

Seriously, she doesn't mind at all, as long as I keep them off the rest of the furniture.

Could be worse -- I used to raise cactus.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Yeah, Pete, I meant the size cups that I could use to load without a pouch. I thought I could use it for a close up situation.

Jim