The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Oriental Bowl Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Well the holidays are near. Been working on a lot of material. I got some ads out for Christmas in the Linking Ring and Genii. Now it is time to sit back and see what happens. In my down time I decided to go through old files and look for new ideas. I came across this clip. It is one of the routines in the L&L book on Schneider cup and ball routines. Can't remember the name of the book now it has been so long.

Here is the clip:
http://youtu.be/Q-BkGt6PlM0
As stated in the description, that shoot was the first I did the entire routine with complete props. I distincitly remember doing that sequence. I had no idea if my hand was in the right position after moves. I remember looking up at Falanga wondering if he would stop me for commiting some error. He let me just roll on. I did not see it for months after that when he sent me proofs of the shoot.

This is one of my favorite routines. I am a two handed sword fan and have studied the samuri way. Sword is different than many other martial forms. It has great formality and cermony. The blade is respected. The art of the samuri focused on many other things than fighting. My desire was to capture that in this routine. Unfortuneately I never perform in an environmnt where this routine would fit. Hope you enjoy it.
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
WOW---great routine, Al
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Great and a original finale. thanks Mr. Schneider.
Colonel Clark
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa, AZ
127 Posts

Profile of Colonel Clark
VERY nice!
Bodgit
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Bodgit
Like it a lot. Thank you for posting it.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1684 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
In general I like the other C&B routines from Al better, maybe it has to do with the oriental theme done by a non Asian person, also the slowness of the pace, I did like a lot the end, very surprising and a very nice display.
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
I confess the routine has some problems. I do look a bit frumpy. That does not add. I also think that if I had been wearing an oriental robe the performance would go over much better. I appreciate your comment that my other stuff is better. Have you seen the other routines on the cup and ball DVD by L&L. In one, two cups are tipped back to reveal what appears as shards of ice.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I wonder if here is a video of Shigeo Takagi anywhere doing his two bowl routine? Anyway, Al, I love the work you do on all magic. Your loading and handling is flawless and well thought out.
Thanks for sharing.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I love it when I miss loads! Well done!
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Al -

You're not "frumpy looking"...it's more a Buddha thing.

Great routine.

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1684 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Al, I saw some of your routines not the one in particular that you mentioned. I have the 4DVD set that has your c&b routines and I enjoyed it as spectator and as a learning piece, the motion of coming parallel to the table with the cup it was an eye opener, the LA cups is also very good..
Also I think it is easier to load small cups that large bowls like in this case because of the way that you need to conceal the ball, but this is just an appreciation I never did it myself. Have you try to use smaller bowls aka Takagi, does it makes any difference?

The end with the color silks is excellent, will try with regular cups and see if they open like the bowls

Pablo
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
There are two thoughts on this. The idea was to use bigger props. That is why the large sponge balls are used. This also leads to the bigger bowls. Part of the plan was open a door to do this parlor or stage. I visalize a gong involved, costume, and so on. Another factor is that the large bowls are a bit difficult to handle. This awkwardness can be used to cover deception. In general it appears to have worked well. I wish I would have had time to practice it more.
Fabian99
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Fabian99
That Routine is a Gift it is just so unique and magical keep on that Great work you are my Idol
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Nice routine Al! I like it a lot. Unique final loads!

Thanks!

Jim
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
The routine is great! In my humble opinion, however, I would be careful about going too far with the oriental staging. I've seen many magicians cross the line and go from an artistic intent to becoming embarrassingly hokey. One of the things I have always admired most about you is that you never "talk down" to your audience.

If I were you, I wouldn't take on the oriental role, but simply narrate a story about an oriental experience. That narration may also lead you away from using the sponge balls, since they really have no meaning for the spectators. There are, however, many other items that could replace the sponge balls that would have meaning and fit within the context of the routine. For instance, eggs and oranges play a very symbolic role in Chinese culture. How about Chinese dumplings. That makes sense with a bowl and chopsticks (as a wand). I believe there are even sponge dumplings on the market. Just some thoughts on an already incredible routine.

Humbly yours,
Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Al, I always appreciate that your C&B work is done without haste. Everything comes across so fair.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
That was beautiful, Al! Flawless presentation! Smile

Doug
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Great routine. Really liked it! Thanks for sharing, Al.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Al, I enjoy the routine as well as ALL your Cups and Balls routines on the L&L DVDs!
TH

Occupy Your Dream