The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Michael Skinner performance of his Cups and Balls (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Is not many clips there are on youtube of Michael Skinner in his prime. Here is one though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ebutknI8UU. His wonderful impromptu performce of the Cups and Balls on television.

Wonderful, wonderful performace!
Tilman
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of Tilman
Yes, this is truly wonderful! Also, I have never seen the phase starting at 1:16 before and really like it.

Amongst the related videos, you should also get a link to a living room performance of his 3 ring routine. Wow.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Thanks for linking to that Smile
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Quote:
On 2013-09-09 06:57, Tilman wrote:
Yes, this is truly wonderful! Also, I have never seen the phase starting at 1:16 before and really like it.

Amongst the related videos, you should also get a link to a living room performance of his 3 ring routine. Wow.

I have already seen that clip. Michael Skinner is probably my biggest hero in magic, so I hunt down every clip of him I possible can Smile
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Brilliant! Really well done!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Nice! Time to dust off my cups and a balls again!
-Tom
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
RobFromNZ
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
99 Posts

Profile of RobFromNZ
I always enjoy watching these videos when an audience is enjoying the magic. We might be expecting the final loads, but it's nice to hear spectators surprise and enjoyment.
whbuch
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of whbuch
Wow was that fantastic. Love how this routine doesn't even rely on any stacking phases and still blows others away.

My wife and I like to go to antique shops and we see cups like that all the time - gonna try and find a matching set.
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Really nice
Great interpretation of Vernon's routine!
The rythm is perfect
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Thanks for sharing the link,this is the youngest I have seen him , just the sound of his voice says MAGICIAN and Gentleman
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Yes, thanks. A real inspiration. Really caught me, as I only saw one final load. Phew!
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Then again, maybe not so impromptu, since he was carrying four loads that neatly fit the cups he "found" on the table. Still brilliant and something to aspire to. I don't mean to quibble, afterall, everything we do depends on the audience believing something "that just isn't so" (as Michael Ammar has put it).
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I once did an impromptu routine in a Chinese restaurant using tea cups, wadded up chop stick wrappers for balls and a LEMON FINAL load I took out of the kitchen.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Michael Landes
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Michael Landes
Quote:
On 2013-09-11 15:38, Jiceh wrote:
Really nice
Great interpretation of Vernon's routine!
The rythm is perfect

Have no idea why you call this a version of "Vernon's routine".
It isn't. The opening, which may be the reason, is Conus from the
eighteenth century. The routine much more closely relates to Charlie's routine,
and most likely Mike used that as his basis.
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
I think he's talking about the fake explanation and loading sequence.

Thanks for posting the clip!
Michael Landes
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-12 18:48, JordanB wrote:
I think he's talking about the fake explanation and loading sequence.

Thanks for posting the clip!

Interesting! Perhaps. But does that originate in the 20th century either. let alone
with the "Vernon routine"?
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
I haven't done extensive research on pre-20th century cup and balls moves, but my opinion is that the only original piece of Vernon's routine is the loading sequence with the fake explanation. Bob White researched some history on Vernon's routine as well when filming his cups and ball DVD and came to the same conclusion.

Most of the Vernon routine is in print in many other places. I think he learned the opening from the Charles Bertram routine in the C. Lang Neil book, which is also in print in a pre-20th century text.

It's said that Pop Krieger had an influence on Vernon's routine but I haven't been able to find a detailed description of Krieger's routine....so it's possible that it might have come from there. But based on what I know about the Professor's magic the loading sequence with the fake explanation seems like the type of magic that he liked to create.
Michael Landes
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-13 11:58, JordanB wrote:
I haven't done extensive research on pre-20th century cup and balls moves, but my opinion is that the only original piece of Vernon's routine is the loading sequence with the fake explanation. Bob White researched some history on Vernon's routine as well when filming his cups and ball DVD and came to the same conclusion.

Most of the Vernon routine is in print in many other places. I think he learned the opening from the Charles Bertram routine in the C. Lang Neil book, which is also in print in a pre-20th century text.

It's said that Pop Krieger had an influence on Vernon's routine but I haven't been able to find a detailed description of Krieger's routine....so it's possible that it might have come from there. But based on what I know about the Professor's magic the loading sequence with the fake explanation seems like the type of magic that he liked to create.

It is my understanding that the importance of the his final load sequence is that it popularized loading from the pocket and he got that from Malini.
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
I would argue that Malini popularized loading from the pockets rather than Vernon. Regardless the Professors gambit for loading the cups remains his most valuable and possibly only original contribution to the routine , other than the way he put the various sequences together.

I think the loading sequence is one of the most brilliantly thought out ploys in close up magic.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Vernon's tip over sequence at the beginning of his routine may have been Pop Krieger's. Yes, Malini started the ball rolling with the final loads from the pockets, but without a doubt it was Vernon that spread it like wildfire through lectures and the DVBOM. When Vernon performed the cups and balls at Billy Rose's nightclub in Manhattan in the 1930s, no other magicians in that area were performing this. Things were that slow with the cups and balls at that time.