The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Wands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
indridcold
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of indridcold
Hey there,

I am looking for a good wand to do the cups and balls vanishes with, and was wondering what everyone recomends. The two people have suggested to me are Magic Makers "The Magicians Wand" RRP at 49.95 and the "Mercury Wand" at 29.95. I much prefer the look of The Magicians Wand because the Mercury looks a little plain, but they do seem to be on the same scale of quality. What does everyone think?

Cheers
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
I would also suggest the Shamrock wands that are sold on EBAY. They have excellent weight and appearance.

Regards,

Paul Green
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What specifically do you imagine YOUR wand to be/do/look like?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Shamrock for spins and Mora vanish.
indridcold
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of indridcold
I guess I like the appearance of the Magician's Wand, and I am going to check into the Shamrock wands now. I like the older style look.

Okay, looked on ebay, typed in "Magic Wand" and I came up with basically Harry Potter stuff, or *cough* "Small Back Massagers". Does anyone have any more info on how I can pick up a Shamrock?
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
El Duco's Magic has a nice wand made out of birch and stained into mahogany with brass tips.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Shamrock makes standard and custom wands. They have a website. It is: not able to be found today. I have an old email address and I will see if I can track them down.

Kirk
DrDale
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of DrDale
I have some exotic wood wands that are quite nice.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
You can contact Shamrock through Michael Gates at
shamrk33@bellatlantic.net

As I stated before, I have found the wands to be an excellent value!

Of course, if money is of no object---Go for a Joe Porper or Thomas Wayne wand. Both craftsmen produce exquisite wands.

Regards,

Paul Green
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1122 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
The Shamrock wands are quite nice. I've got a few (both large and small). I'd recommend getting stainless steel ferrules instead of the brass ones, however; unless you like spending your time polishing. They spin well.

Although, as Mr. Green states above, if money isn't a factor in deciding, then go for a wand by Joe Porper or Thomas Wayne. I just recently got a wand from Thomas Wayne that is made of cocobola with ebony ferrules. It has a classical look to it. It looks sort of like the wands that are given to the "Magicians of the Year" at the Magic Castle. It screws together in the middle and it comes with a nice case which will protect the finish.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I have not used the Shamrock wands, nor have I used Thomas Wayne's. I do LOVE my Ammar Mercury wand. It has perfect weight, isn't wood so it will not break, and has a rubber gripping coating that makes the wand spins flow with ease.

I would suggest starting there, spending just a little money. Afterwards try something else.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
ullig
View Profile
New user
Germany
39 Posts

Profile of ullig
Roy Kueppers makes excellent wands for reasonable prices (also custom made wands). Look at http://www.roykueppers.com/Legendary/prod05.htm

Ulli
indridcold
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of indridcold
Wow, these wands are just what I am looking for. Cheaper and more beautiful than the commercially available ones. Thanks a lot; I will be going with this.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I have a shamrock 2 piece wand.

Everything unscrews so you can unscrew a tip and put it in the middle and make a mini close-up wand, if you wish.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2000 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The Shamrock wands look great and I don't think you could go wrong with them.

That being said, the Café's own Scott Guinn sells wands on his website.

You can buy the standard wand he sells or ask for one that is made with whatever type of wood you want. I bought one that has a Coco bola wood body and white maple tips. If you have never seen Coco bola wood, it is a beautiful deep brown with wonderful grain. The light tips of my wand contrast nicely against the dark color of the body.

I know it is a great wand because I have had other magicians comment quite jealously about it.

My wand is 15 inches long and 9/16 inches thick. It does wand spins quite nicely. Best $35 I've spent in a long while.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
indridcold
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of indridcold
Wow, that sounds fantastic. I do not know where to turn. At the moment, my 2 cup routine doesn't involve any spins or vanishes, except for the easy little strike, but when I have got it all down, I shall be purchasing one of the above. Thanks for all your help guys!
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
This is more of a "how to" post. Take an appropriate length of brushed aluminium rod, cover it with electrician's heatshrink and heat, trim an inch off each end and you have a nicely balanced wand with a non-slip plastic sleeve (depending on the shrink used) for those spins. Cost about $3.00 and five minutes...cheap, spins well and effective. Smile
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
Digital Backlot
View Profile
Regular user
So. Cali
115 Posts

Profile of Digital Backlot
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=537

Price: $15.99
Shipping is free!
Joel Payne
CEO 3D Filmmakers
www.DigitalBacklot.com
Apprentice
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Apprentice
Hello,

Can someone post a link?

I can't find the Shamrock wand on eBay OR through the Internet.

I would like to see some pictures if possible.

Thanks!
Steve Pellegrino
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Steve Pellegrino
On ebay you can search by seller and his ebay ID is shamrk33. Here is a link to his ebay store: http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=4356376&ssPageName=L2

Great prices! I just bought an Australian Red Melee two piece wand from him on ebay a couple of days ago.