The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Just thought I would share this! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
For many years, far too many, I have on and off considered doing a Benson Bowl Routine -- especially after seeing Don Alan do it on a Stevens video. Anyone that doesn't have that video needs -- never mind, just forget what I was saying because I don't know what I'm saying and you don't want this video, you don't want this video, you don't want this video!!!!

Where were we, oh yeah! I went into my local Super Target a little while ago to pick up some beer -- yes I'm a BAD BAD Boy!

But while I was there, I ran across some retro style Anodized Ice Cream Bowls. Now for those of you too young to know what these are, back in the 60's -- yes that time really did exist -- we had bowls and drinking glasses or cups for milk shakes and malts made out of this metal in different colors and when you put ice cream in them they would get really really cold, and were really terrible to hold, and whatever you would do, don't lick them as your tounge would stick to the metal -- those were the days weren't they?

Anyway, I ran across these bowls and they are perfect for this routine! They are interesting, retro, great colors and have the stand on the bottom of the bowls -- PERFECT! They are maybe a little under 4" in diameter and about an 1 1/2" deep or so -- big enough for the routine I would think with 1 1/2" Sponge Balls. They might be a little on the light side, but I will work with them and see -- but because the stand part of the bowl is hollow it will be easy to add a little weight if necessary.

These came in a package of 6 with some ice cream toppings and a scoop for like $17.99, a no brainer because I can also use them as bowls -- what an idea!

In the same trip I also ran across some new M&M tins that will fit very nicely in the bowls afore mentioned -- I never did like any of the final loads I came across like a bagel, cake, or donut -- although with this bowl the donut or a cupcake, whatever, would make sense! I paid like $1.99 each for these, I believe they have M&M's inside that could possibly be replaced with something else if you would like. These are just a little smaller than the diameter of a Jumbo Coin, maybe they could be used for some other things as well -- could be!

Anyway it is time for all the Christmas Merchandise to go out, so check in your local stores because you never know what you might come across right now!

BTW, all I can tell you about the bowls is that they are distributed by a company called Bay Island, Inc. I don't have a number or web site, etc... but they are out of Plymouth, MN 55441 if you are interested.

Hmmm! Retro Bowls, Sponge Balls (mini nerf balls) and M&M's -- there might be a routine idea there somewhere! Just thinking out loud!!!

Just thought I would share!

Sixx
Smile
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
Thanks for the tip. Whenever I'm in Dollar Stores I stay on the lookout for the right type of bowl but have never seen one.
Is this Super Target a big brother to Target? My wife is constantly going to Target in a neighboring town.
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
Yes, Super Target is a Bigger Target with Groceries also.

Sixx
AutoX
View Profile
New user
British Columbia
59 Posts

Profile of AutoX
Yeah, thanks for the tip. I'll have to remember this...
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Quote:
On 2003-11-06 17:46, Robert Sixx wrote:
Yes, Super Target is a Bigger Target with Groceries also.

Sixx

And adult beverages. Smile
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
GFord
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
53 Posts

Profile of GFord
Thanks for the great tip Robert. Don Alan was indeed a Master.
--GF
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Don Alan was certainly a master. I had the privilege of working with him on a couple of occasions. At one magic convention in Galion, Ohio, I had to not only close the evening show, but I had to follow Don Alan doing his classic "Garbage Can Act." Fortunately I was doing a completely different kind of act...big illusions. And, I had a strikingly beautiful assistant!
While I like the Stevens tape that Don made because it shows so much of his great close up, I really prefer the younger Don Alan from the Magic Ranch days. These tapes are commercially available as well. And, you get to see some of the legendary performers like Clarke Crandall, Jack Gwynne, Neil Foster, and Richard Himber, to name a few.
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you for sharing, Sixx.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I have his bowl routine on tape, and it is great. I use a small top hat that I produce, then do the bowl routine with the hat. The hat production is flashy, and it goes with some other material that I have. Something else to consider.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)