The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Colombini's Cups and Balls Teach-In (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1684 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Does anybody have this booklet, it is Colombini's C&B FISM 1976 routine written by Lewis Ganson.
Is this a dificult routine in terms of sleights?
The download at Lybray.com is inexpensive, but I don't want to have one more routine that I can not do or that I need months of practice... (I don't have the time)

Thank you ... pablo
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I have the book and there is a bit of practice needed, Pablo. Especially on the cups handling.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Pablo,

If you don't put at least months of practice into a cups and balls routine, before you perform it, don't do it at all. There's enough people doing poorly prepared cups and balls routines, they don't need the competition.

Kent
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1684 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Thank you Kent, it is not what I meant. I am a hobbist so I don't perform for anyone, maybe family and friends but very rare.
My point was more on effort against benefit, if to do Aldo's or yours I need to learn how to handle the cups up-side down or how to set a hold out or more stuff, then it is not for me, I can learn one more sleight here and there but if Colombini's routine is for an established performer that want to get more sophisticated, then it is not for me.
That was the point of my post.

Also Colombini like you uses 3 color pom poms, and at least in the book I have he has a move where the cup goes through the table not the ball (it is not on the Ganson routine) Have you seen it?

BTW I agree with your comment on performance and not being ready ...
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Pablo,

As I re-read my last post it came off way snottier than I intended.

I have not seen Colombini do the routine, as written up in the Mamma Mia magic book. The instructions are pretty good though. I don't think you need to see him do it! If you like that sequence, use it.

Another source for a three different colored ball routine is Scotty York's X-rated cups and balls. (It's X-rated because you can do the routine naked!)

You might really like that routine.

Kent
Dave McFarland
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, OR
184 Posts

Profile of Dave McFarland
Where can you find Scotty York's routine?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Check eBay. It's frequently offered there.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Dave McFarland
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, OR
184 Posts

Profile of Dave McFarland
Thanks Dave
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1684 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Thanks Kent, I'll look into Scott York's routine.

And I'll practice Colombini's routine, but I have the feeling that with the move through the table I will ended with cups on the floor and not even the dog will believe me.

Take care
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Even the RARE performance for family or friends should be taken as seriously as a pro job. You wouldn't play a trumpet badly for anyone... so...
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1684 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Pete, this is not what I implied, what I said was, if Colombini's routine requires a lot of work because of difficult sleights (months of practice), then it is not for me. I don't have the time.

Magic for me is a hobby, I am not a magician neither a performer rather a spectator, and different to some of you that are actually performers, I need to put limits to the time I devote to magic. I wish I could have more but I can't.
This is why I use gimmick coins, packet tricks and/or simpler routines on C&Bs it takes less time and effort.

So what I do in most cases where the moves are more difficult like Kent Gunn's routine or Colombini's, or some others, is to go to youtube and enjoy their performances.

I hope now my original post is more clear...
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Pablo,
Aldo made two famous routines in his life. The first one, described in Lewis Ganson teaching, is not the one you seem to be after and it's the more difficult of the two as, even if it only involves balls of the same color, you have to keep being two ahead all the time. Aldo's multicolor routine on the contrary came way later, is not very difficult and it's very well structured as anything that he does (even if its central part was created by Leo Leslie). I'd suggest that you work at it with Pete Biro's advice in mind: become great at it.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1684 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Thank you Lawrence, I have the multicolor routine (in spanish) in Mamma Mia, and as you said it is not too difficult.
The reason why I was looking for some video on it, is because almost at the end of the routine, Colombini makes one cup go through the table instead of the ball, nice surprise for the spectators !!!, However when I read the description of the move, it is so bold that I wondered how it actually looks in front of people, that was the reason for the video request in a different post.
I think it is a great idea the cup going through the table rather than the ball, I have not seen it before...

Pablo
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Pablo,

Aldo is good friend. I had the pleasure of lecturing with him in Manila some years ago. I have watched him do this routine and it looks even better live. I know his routine but was still entertained and ...yes still fried.
A real piece of work!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
If you like this cup through the table effect, an even more spectacular one is Dominique Duvivier's move at the end of his routine where a fourth cup appears from nowhere amongst the three already on the table. Extremely deceptive and extremely visual. He does it sitting but you may do it standing with a bit of imagination.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1684 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Mercy Lawrence, I´ll look for it.