The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Cups And Balls (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
sethbek
View Profile
Regular user
New York
161 Posts

Profile of sethbek
I'm looking for a good Cups and Balls routine if anyone can help me out please.
thanks.
Smile Smile Smile
*poof*
iSawThat
View Profile
Regular user
The Ivory Tower
188 Posts

Profile of iSawThat
What kind of routine are you looking for? The easiest way out would be to master Dai Vernon's routine using Paul Fox-style cups, or Ammar's version which is based on Dai Vernon's. Both are very straightforward, with plenty of economy of motion and a logical flow of effects. Best part is they're not too technically demanding, though the wand spin vanish (Helicopter spin?) might take some time to accomplish.

Carl Andrews has a great new DVD out on Table Hopping Cups and Balls, and though I doubt you'll actually be able to use this to table hop in restaurants, it does only use two cups instead of the traditional three, and a pen as a wand. Magicsmith has a full demo of the routine.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1229 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
As mentioned on some other posts, I would strongly recommend Michael Ammar's Complete Cups and Balls Book. It is detailed (with photos) of every sleight, vanish, wand maneuver, etc. that would ever be used for a Cups and Balls effect. Many interviews with the top Cups and Balls experts about why they do their routine, difference in final loads, etc. And a great chapter on how to structure a routine to your liking.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
ISawThat,
Why don't you think you can table hop with Carl Andrew's Cups and Balls routine?
phranQ
View Profile
New user
Denmark
47 Posts

Profile of phranQ
I'll second Michael's advice.

However, if all you need is one strong Cups & Balls routine, consider buying The Michael Ammar Book of Magic. It contains his popular stand-up C&B routine, an explanation of the Dai Vernon Wand Spin and lots of other great magic effects. Great value for your money!

Smile
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Hi,

A good cups & balls routine is "The Two Goblets" by Gary Ouellet. (it uses only 2 cups)

You can buy this booklet from the publisher
http://www.camirandmagic.com/

Like all other booklets by Gary Ouellet, they are very well explained and have a lot of pictures.

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada

Oops,

I forgot to mention that one of the cups in "Two Goblets" by Gary Ouellet is a Chop Cup.

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
My own routine (inspired by Ouellet's) is now available. It is 11pages of instruction with 59 photos. For Café members in the US and Canada, it's $7 postpaid (non-domestic orders pay shipping). It was especially designed for table-hopping, but I use it in formal close up and standup shows as well. Contact me if interested.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
shanla
View Profile
Loyal user
Japan, Tokyo
285 Posts

Profile of shanla
I agree with all who've recommend Michael Ammar's book. His Analysis of that effect is fantastic.
In addition, one of the best performances of cups and ball I think is Gazzo's routine.
It is basically Dai Vernon's routine, with a great climax. Both the video and manuscript are available from School for Scoundrels.
Another one I recommend is David Williamson's "Gold Cup". It uses two cups and rather short, therefore I find it very practical. You can read this routine in his "Williamson's Wonders", and can see the performance in "Sleight of Dave" video.
Tommy Wonder's routine is also worth looking into. The climax is unique and different from any other cups and balls routine. It's described in "The Books of Wonder".

shanla
Elwood
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Elwood
Dan Fleshman has a great kicker ending to Cups and Balls, but I can't remember which video it's on!
Welshwizard
View Profile
Loyal user
Wales
292 Posts

Profile of Welshwizard
Hi Elwood,

What is the kicker ending? I'm just starting in cups and balls.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

The Fleshman Flash is a wonderful load sequence that allows you to produce FIVE final loads, rapid fire, under scrutiny. The misdirection and construction is teriffic. Dan is one of the underrated workers--truly in the upper echelon of performers and a super guy.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1882 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
David Reagle's cups and balls is the best I have ever seen, and I have seen many. It's the only production where the final loads make sense.
Also Tommy wonder has very good ideas on his book vol.2. Otherwise I don't care for the routine.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you want to be really different... contact Stevensmagic.com and get the cups and balls video... then go for Johnny Paul's routine. Hardly anyone is doing it, and it is great. Special cups are also available from Stevens (blatant plug)!!! Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

Speaking of which, Pete, do you still make those great big cups (the name of which currently escapes me--Galli-Galli or something like that maybe)?
My Lybrary Page
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Seth: There are many great routines out there. First, and this is very important, you need to decide what environment you are going to perform in. If you are only going to sit when you do the cups, then the John Mendoza C&B routine is great, has a lot of theatre, but you do need a combo set. Mendoza has another routine called Flash Cups, which is in his Book of John, that uses regular cups.

For walk-around, I do the Johnny Ace Palmer routine from his Trilogy tapes (I actually had the pleasure of being taught this by Johnny). This is done standing, has the spectators involved, and ends strongly.

While the Ammar book is good, it is better for someone who has a bit of experience (I think) with the cups. I do not recommend the Ammar routine, since the loads are done on the wrong beat. You can't miss with the classic Vernon routine (which I think is taught in the Ammar book).

The C&Bs are a reputation making routine that I recommend to any magician. There is a certain rhythm and cadence that is acquired with the cups, as well as confidence in the vanishes (which, to be honest, is the most difficult part of the trick). Before you are distracted by a flashy variation of the C&Bs, I recommend learning and performing a basic routine so to build confidence (perhaps even a Chop Cup routine). Good Luck!
richgerb86
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, Pa.
204 Posts

Profile of richgerb86
I like Mr. Brewer's advice. I was never confident with my cups & until I started doing his chop routine from his book the Unexpected Visitor(which is a great book!)
I also got the dvd of Carl Andrews table hopping cups & balls. I now finally have a cups & balls & chop cup routine I am happy with. I also just ordered a micro chop cup & am ready to move on. Does any one know where I may find the Johhny Ace Palmer Routine, I am verry interested in seeing/learning it. Thanks!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Scott: Yessireeee, you can still get the Galli Galli cups. Stevensmagic.com has them. Also the Johnny Paul cups.

I have a few "used" sets still available direct from me. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
I think you can still get the Palmer video from Magicsmith.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Mr. Korttihai-82,
I assume you have never seen Tommy Wonder perform his cups and balls in real life?
Reading the routine is one thing...experiencing is something really different!
I know his routine by heart (as a study not as a part of my working repertoire) and I have seen him do it many times. Still I always miss parts. His routining and control of direction is unbelievable!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
I whole heartedly agree with Dan about the Wonder routine. See it live and you'll love it. I've been studying it and working on it since the 80's. I actually flew from Texas to Ohio just to see it performed,
I consider it money well spent.

I doubt too many people would actually be able to perform it as well as Tommy can. It is alot like a Slydini routine, rely's heavily on his personality and natural misdirection. Although there is a tremendous amount that can be learned fromn it. I learned it as taught, and performed it his way for years, it evolved into the routine I do now. I use two of his Phases in my current routine.

Ron