The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Cups and balls question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
joshua the magician
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of joshua the magician
Hi.I have performed the cups and balls a couple times already, with a pretty decent routine. But I always get the same response every time. They always think I'm using special cups or magnetic balls or something like that. Ive only performed for family and friends so far, but would this be a problem on stage? Would the spectators think that I really was using gaffed cups? I'm working on a new routine right now that requires starting 4 ahead, with one ball finger palmed, the other 3 in the cups, but I only want them to know about one ball on the top cup starting off. how would I go about proving they are really solid and not tricked props, without revealing the other balls I am hiding? I've thought about showing them after the ending, but wouldn't that ruin the trick when alls what they were thinking about was that they were tricked cups through the whole routine?
I would really appreciate some feedback on this. thank you
magicly,
joshua
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You can show different cups at different points during the routine, but that really isn't necessary. If you tell them they are ordinary, nobody will believe it. Tell them that they are magical and they will believe they are ordinary.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
You might want to think about holding out 2 balls in your hand, do a shuttle pass to show only one, and pick up the cup that is empty and maybe tap with the wand, or do that little joke trick where the wand penetrates the cup, then put the cup down with the ball or however in the context of your routine. I really don't see a problem with letting them wonder if the cups are gimmicked or not... if done properly and with athority and confidence the routine should speak for itself. If you are using final loads that is usually the kicker for them to not think the cups are gaffed, or at least not what they might be thinking. Act like the magic is really happening. If you are surprized, your audience will be too. It's important to not show any hesitation or your audience may think you are hiding something (which you are, but they don't have to know that!). I usually leave everything on the table, and if they want to examine them, I let them... and they do try and unscrew the cups and the like... that's usually the best part when they realize they are what they are... just funny looking solid cups.

Stevie D
-Stevie D
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2006-11-20 18:30, joshua the magician wrote:
Ive only performed for family and friends so far, but would this be a problem on stage? Would the spectators think that I really was using gaffed cups?

It is usually difficult to perform for family and friends... they are used to you being you. Therefore, they will see things that are not completely natural to your regular actions, mannerisms, or lingo. When performing for an audience other than family or friends there tends to be an unspoken contract that is understood where they don't usually tell you that they expect a gaffed item... sometimes they do, but don't say it in the same way your family or friends might.

Quote:
how would I go about proving they are really solid and not tricked props, without revealing the other balls I am hiding? I've thought about showing them after the ending, but wouldn't that ruin the trick when alls what they were thinking about was that they were tricked cups through the whole routine?

Don't absolutely believe that you have to prove anything to anyone. There are routines where the props are handed out, but only do it if it adds to the routine in a way that doesn't distract from the entertainment. The first person to really guide me in magic told me, "Never let them touch your props... period." For the most part I have gone on that and it has worked well. You are the entertainer, set the pace and the attitude.... most of the time the audience will follow.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
They always think I'm using special cups or magnetic balls...

Just out of curiosity, are you banging a cup down on the table right before a ball appears underneath? Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I could see Gazzo's street routine as being useful here, even with the "four ahead" part. Hand out the cups at the beginning. Then as you take each one back, throw in a few gags here and there like Gazzo's "squeeker" gag. For example, as you put the squeaker away, load your hand with as many balls as you need at the time and load the cup as you place it back on the table.

In his new Penguin video, Gazzo teaches his fourth ball steal which could also be useful in this situation.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
joshua the magician
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of joshua the magician
I don't bang the cups down too hard Michael, but I do it with some force. thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll certainly use them
magicly,
joshua