The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: 1 Ball Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Hey, how come nobody does a 1-ball or a
3-ball routine. I think they are good.

Is it because nobody wants to run around the restaurant chasing after high-bounce balls?

I saw Danny Archer do a couple in his last lecture and I thought they were quite entertaining.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Frank,

I did David Roth's 3 ball routine for some time, couple of years ago. It was one of those routines where the method seems more interesting than the effect (from a magician's viewpoint). It never got a very good response from laypeople, maybe because it is difficult to build in audience involvement?
It seems like a typical "adventures of the props and the hands" routine to me now.
I still like the technique and the routining though...
I go for coins. More appealing props, more natural to use, more variety in effect and best of all, a lot of audience participation possible.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10970 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Johnny Thompson does a two in the hand one in the pocket routine on his video as well as Frank Garcia and Paul Green. I think the effect is great for restaurant workers. Also, Greg Wilson does this two in the hand one in the pocket with rolled up napkins. I would like to try it with dollar bills.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Frank,

When you finish your 1 ball rountine, change it into sponge ball with the retention pass. Perform the sponge ball split. I'm sure you can take it from there.

I like the sponge ball video from Patrick Page. You might want to learn a rountine from his.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
yes, I have that video. It too is good. That's a good point about audience involvement or lack thereof.

A very good point indeed. In fact, I'm giving some thought to my chop cup routine (john bannon's routine actually). Though I think it is very clever, the involement angle could use some work.

Thanks for reminding me about that extremely important point!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
I've found a 3 ball routine always gets a good response. Lots of opportunity for audience involvement and humor. The Veron / Silent Mora routines are terrific.

Check out routines and performances as explained by:
a) Johnny Thompson
b) Scott Guinn
c) Danny Tong
d) Gregg Webb

Best,
-- Conus
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
My 3 ball routine has always played well for me. I sell it as a stand alone routine complete with the balls and photo-illustrated instructions. It is also in my "more" book.

But you don't need to buy my routine (although I won't mind if you do!) or anyone else's, as you can take many coin routines that you already know and translate them into routines with spheres.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
jw_2101
View Profile
New user
Singapore
76 Posts

Profile of jw_2101
what kind of balls do you guys use? standard 1 or 1.5 inch rubber ones?

regds
Jonathan
He is no fool who would give what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
As far as one ball routines:
If you liked Archer's routines, check out Carl Cloutier's video "Lapping it Up" video. Archer routine is based on Cloutier's work. Also McBride has a lot on his manipulation tapes that uses only 1 ball or a ball and a silk. Ammar has some stuff in his topit book and videos.
Yes you are right it is almost impossible to involve a spectator in a 1 ball routine.

As far as 3 ball routines, I think that coins are more interesting(They are shiny, they make noise, and they are MONEY) Smile
Although I love Cornelius's 3 ball routine with the FISM Flash
Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Richard Pitchford (Cardini) performed the absolute very best “one ball” routine I have ever seen.

The ball was a full sized, billiard, cue ball. It magically appeared, vanished, reappeared, danced at the fingertips as if it weighed nothing, and finally vanished again as if it had never been there!

There was almost a dozen effects/stunts/moves in less than two minutes. The whole sequence was a brief interlude in the larger manipulation act. It was total genius!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Aldo has "get the ball rolling" with 3 balls to a jumbo ball. It is a good one.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Quote:
On 2002-12-27 07:01, Conus wrote:
I've found a 3 ball routine always gets a good response. Lots of opportunity for audience involvement and humor. The Veron / Silent Mora routines are terrific.

Check out routines and performances as explained by:
a) Johnny Thompson
b) Scott Guinn
c) Danny Tong
d) Gregg Webb

Best,
-- Conus

To add to that list try
a) The Magic of Milt Kort by Stephen Minch
b) Pocket Stuff for Close-Up Magicians by John Luka

Both are worth learning, and both give a little different handling.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)