The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Cups And Balls (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
I think the Wonder routine is good, but it is NOT for a beginner. Also, I used to do the Wonder routine right out of the book and quickly learned that it is not suitable for walk-around. Since the cups have to periodically be layed on their side (while concealing a ball) nearby tables got a free lesson in this trick. I was forced to use it only on special occasions, and for a routine that required so much practice, this was a little disappointing. The Wonder loads, while exceedingly clever, are not that strong for a lay audience (magician audiences, however, go wild). A load coming out of nowhere has a much stronger impact on a lay audience.
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
Doug I agree with you there, I also performed it as described and came across these same limitations. I now end it with the production of three pieces of Fruit. I also did away with the laying of the cups on there sides. I still use the loading of the Pom Pom though, when I reveal it I load the second Lemon... etc.

Although I don't perform the routine as he taught it, I learned a great deal working towards the routine I now do. I feel my current routine will also continue to evolve who knows where it'll go.

Ronnie
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Independently I came up with a load of the bag the cups (or chop cup) comes in. You wad it up, and with a bit of misdirection, get hold of it and load it into the cup. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
shane_delon
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of shane_delon
I've been watching a lot of cups and balls videos and performances lately. Here are the one's I like in the order I like them:

Michael Ammar - The Complete Cups and Balls 1 and 2

David Williamson - Sleight of Dave 1

Rafael Benatar - Volume 3 - cups and balls

Stevens Cups and Balls with 4 routines.

My advise is watch as many as you can then develop your own routine to fit your persona. Some actions may be more natural for you as well as some attitudes.

I like to use a wand, but I know some people don't use a wand at all.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I like a wand so I can HIT the spectator's with it... Smile
atkinsod
View Profile
Regular user
VA
196 Posts

Profile of atkinsod
I recently got a copy of Dennis Loomis' Cups & Balls routine. It is based on the Vernon routine, with some Don Alan style thrown in. It is a nice booklet.

Also, I feature an extensive reference guide to the cups and balls, listing many of the books, videos, and props available at my non-commercial website: http://magicref.tripod.com

Doug A.
chrismatt
View Profile
Special user
Why would you read any of my
978 Posts

Profile of chrismatt
My all-time favorite trick is Dai Vernon's Cups & Balls. You can even do it impromptu, as long as you have the proper loads (balls or fruit), and this is the way it's taught in Stars of Magic. For the small balls in impromptu settings, I've used rolled up bills, olives, grapes, cherries, etc.
There are umpteen variations of the Professor's routine (by Ammar, Mendoza, etc.), and many highly original versions of the trick (by Tommy Wonder, David Regal, etc.). It can be a daunting challenge for someone wanting to learn the trick to choose or design the best one (for him) from the hundreds of twists, variations and moves. (This is a typical problem these days in almost all areas of magic.)

Although this advice may sound pedestrian and uninspired, learn the Vernon routine and learn it well. You will have a solid routine that will entertain (your audiences) and gratify (you). Later, if motivated, you can introduce variations, other moves, etc., but be careful not to lengthen the routine much beyond Vernon's original. Get to the denouement (the final loads) without too much delay and treat the rest of the routine as entertaining preliminaries.

For a one (Chop) cup version, you can't do much better than the routine by Vernon's student, Larry Jennings.

Good luck!
Details make perfection, but perfection is no detail.
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
My first routine was John Carney's "Fruit Cup" found in Carneycopia. I learned all my basic sleights there.

For someone getting started you might try Charlie Miller's routine found on the Stevens Cups and Balls video. The final loads require less misdirection and are, therefore, a bit less stressful for the beginner. It is in Michael Ammar's Complete Cups and Balls (book) as the "Classic Ending Sequence"
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I like "Of Cups and Fuzzballs" by John Bannon.

I also like his "Chop 2" chop cup routine.

Something about his routining and patter fit just right with my style.

The only thing to watch out for is that since the patter is quite nice, if have to make sure you still respond to the audience and not just blah, blah, blah or it could seem very contrived and stiff.

I've noticed this (in general) about several routines that I like that have descent out-of-the-box patter. They seem perfect until you realize that if you do them as indicated, the speckys just stand/sit there and listen to you. That's no good.

A little more back-and-forth is always a good thing!!!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
EvanAndrews
View Profile
Regular user
California
128 Posts

Profile of EvanAndrews
David Regal's is great! I liked the ending and his patter and story behind the effect. The stuff before the end of the routine you can make up yourself or do whatever you want with. You can find it in his DVD's/Videos The Magic of David Regal Volume 2 or his books Constant Fooling. Other than that..I think all those other routines with the cups and balls are boring and overrated.
????.....Yeah
sethbek
View Profile
Regular user
New York
161 Posts

Profile of sethbek
I recall seeing Harry Anderson do a cup and balls routins on television, once, a while back. Although I never saw this in print, I do remember likeing the routine. It was based on showing the audeince how easy it is to be taken by a gambler.
*poof*
iSawThat
View Profile
Regular user
The Ivory Tower
188 Posts

Profile of iSawThat
Go and see Tim Ellis' FISM winning routine!! you'll pay your respects immediately...Nothing I have seen is more novel, more interesting, and more motivated than his routine...Check it out at http://www.seemagic.co.uk IMO it's even better than Regal's and I quite liked Regal's when I saw it...
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
I'll have to second iSawThat in this. Ellis' cups and balls is the best and most original I've ever seen!
Welshwizard
View Profile
Loyal user
Wales
292 Posts

Profile of Welshwizard
I agree Tim Ellis's rock and roll cups and balls is great. Very original and funny. All the moves flew straight past me the first time I saw it. I like the idea of using sunglasses as well.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
So is "most novel" the same as "the best"?

(I am not wanting to make anyone look bad here, but from what I read some of you seem to think that a novel routine is imeediately the best routine. Was the latest blockbuster movie also the best movie? Time will tell...)
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Bob Read's Penultimate Cups and Balls had us on the floor when we saw him do it. Smile
Welshwizard
View Profile
Loyal user
Wales
292 Posts

Profile of Welshwizard
Quote:
On 2003-02-28 05:10, Dan LeFay wrote:
So is "most novel" the same as "the best"?

(I am not wanting to make anyone look bad here, but from what I read some of you seem to think that a novel routine is imeediately the best routine. Was the latest blockbuster movie also the best movie? Time will tell...)

I agree. How many laymen are going to turn around and say 'hey! That's the same old boring Vernon routine.' Smile

I don't agree with original for the sake of original but you can always pick up or add a little something from other routines.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
When those final loads hit... laymen are knocked dead.

That's what matters! Smile
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
My very favorite cups and balls routine is Ricky Jay's. It is a fooler, a witty history lecture, and a lesson in sleight-of-hand all rolled into one.

My second favorite is Jim Cellini's. It is a street spiel routine that takes the audience right back to the street hustlers of older times.
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
I saw Gazzo perform his cups and balls, in Boston. I had read about the routine, and knew about the ending. I was looking for it, and I still missed it. For those who aren't familiar, his final, final load is like a dozen oranges, and a honeydew melon. Yep! It fooled the heck out of me. Smile
family/magic/music/life