The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Cups and Balls vs the Chop Cup (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Saw you do the Chili pepper routine... enjoyed it. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I think the funniest routine I ever saw was baby chicks in the final load! They were being handled kind of roughly, and that might not go over too well, today.

I don't remember the magus that I saw doing that, but it was very entertaining. Mice would be funny, too, but women (my girlfriend, in particular, is AGAINST using livestock in magic) are sensitive to animals being handled too roughly. I guess it depends on who(m) you're performing for...or to...(preposition at the end of a sentence...BLAAAAT! Grammer alarm goes off!)

Grammar sucks.

Doug
Bong780
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
172 Posts

Profile of Bong780
Yes the most memorable I've seen in close up is the C&B with baby chicks as the final load. My jaw just dropped and I've been hooked to magic since then.
TrcikPony
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of TrcikPony
Learn the cups and balls because it develops other skills (timing, misdirection, etc.). Then decide if the chop cup is for you.

Jeff
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Most magicians do use the C&B. The CC is not used as much. Do you think most magicians like C&B more because it has more rountines or because there are more videos/books/dvds explaining how to do it?
magicjames1
View Profile
New user
England
67 Posts

Profile of magicjames1
Paul Daniels does a good giant chop cup routine. I think they are both good. It depends on how well your routine is.

James
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Paul Daniels does NOT DO A GOOD CHOP CUP ROUTINE... he does a BRILLIANT, FANTASTIC, AWESOME routine. Smile
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Actually, I think there is more magic with the cups and balls which is why you see it more often at magic shows or clubs.

Most guys who do the chop cup, just do the STUPID (IMHO) guessing game of "Where's the ball; in my hand or the pocket?" and then surprise, there's a big ball. How boring. Of course there are the exceptions, but generally speaking...

Whereas on the cups and balls you have vanishes, productions, transportations, gambling/guessing games and then after using all these cups, BAM! 3 or more large loads. And that is just the basic routine.

I think most restaurant workers use the chop cup due to the table space requirements. If you are going to use a two cup routine, don't forget Dave Williamson's on Sleightly Dave. Very good routine.

Kirk Grodske
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
They can all be good... it is up to the presenter. Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I don't like the usual chop cup routines either.
I do like John Bannon's routine (Chop 2)
and I also like his cups and balls routine.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
I just bought the book The Uncanny Scot Ron Wilson and it contains the most unique chop cup routine I've ever come across. The effect is called "The Uncanny Chop Cup" and uses a silk, a shot glass, and a chop cup. If you're looking for something different this is it.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Sounds like a Larry Jennings thing.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2003-11-07 13:56, Frank Starsini wrote:
Sounds like a Larry Jennings thing.

It is the Larry Jennings thing. Larry based his version almost completely on Ron Wilson's original and highly entertaining routine.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

A ha. I have some booklet on the chop cup that has this sort of routine in it. I also have the Jennings book but his chop cup routine is not in it.

Where can one acquire both the Wilson original and the Jennings routine?
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Isn't that in the "How to Book for the Chop Cup"?

Same silk/shotglass thing. Rather old from the fifties.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
The Jennings routine can be found in Jim Swain's 21st Century Card Magic.

Ron
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Thanks Ron.

Right KingStarDog. I think that's what I have.

I kind of like that idea. I was playing with a routine like that of my own for a while but got swept away by other things, I suppose.
Beasteau
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Beasteau
I prefer sets that include a chop cup in the set. I can do an elimination sequence with the balls as well as the cups. Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
I've often pondered over the years of putting together a routine that used 3 chop cups, and work it as primarily a C&B routine with maybe a couple added convincers using the chop gimmicks.

Any opinions on whether something like that would be effective? I've no doubt that the purists amongst you (and you know who you are) would cringe at the idea, but I always thought if it were structured properly the whole could turn out to be greater than the sum of its parts. Meaning it could possibly be better than either routine by itself. At least that should be the goal, otherwise, why bother?

I could get 3 Johnson Chop cups for not much more than their C&B's, which I've been thinking of getting anyway.

But I would want to know if the chop cup would pick up a ball off the cup underneath it while the ball is in the attic. Anyone know for sure if it would?

Best,
Bill
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I worked out a routine using three "chopped" cups for the cups and balls... you DO NOT use the gaffed balls until later in the routine when you switch 'em in.

Yes, the problem is the ball will lift from the attic.