The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical Accessories :: Close-up Mats (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1783 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
I wonder if anyone can provide some suggestions as to their favorite close-up mat. What size have you found to be most appropriate, who manufactured it, and have you found advantages to having it a certain color (or found disadvantages to having it a certain color).
Brian Morgan
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of Brian Morgan
I have the bigger rectangular shaped mat but if the situation and trick allows I prefer to use the small half circle mat. As for colors I use black just so the cards and coins show up clearly.
Brian
Bill Thomas
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Bill Thomas
I like to use the ones from "The Magic Warehouse". I use 2 different ones. I use a 7 X 13 Black close-up mat that costs $6.50 I use this around the house for practice. Then I bought one for my close-up table that is 11 X 16 and I think it cost about $17.00 or $18.00 at "The Magic Warehouse" They also have a bunch of other styles, colors and sizes. I hope this helps.

Bill
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Most appropriate mat for for what?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
IMHO, make your own to suit your needs
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I heard that office stores sell a good one....but I went into one and couldn't find it anywhere.

The Gibson mats are what I use, I believe. I cannot remember for sure.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Today's conditions and small space (if that is the case) why not use something FAMILIAR to most folks, a MOUSE PAD.

Otherwise for a big formal close up theatrical presentation DEAN DILL makes the killer pad.

Armando uses one of Dills.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jamie Schoolcraft
View Profile
Regular user
Palmdale, CA
136 Posts

Profile of Jamie Schoolcraft
Dean's Pads can't be beat!!!
Sk8rDave
View Profile
Regular user
California
189 Posts

Profile of Sk8rDave
First, I recommend staying away from the Zeus pad. Long story as to why but, they have a tendency to delaminate quickly. I've been fairly happy with Apollo pads, but I'm partial to Tom Mullica's close up pad. It's made from solid neoprene so you don't have to worry about spilling or dropping a cigarette on it. It doesn't have quite as much give as standard close up mats but once you're used to it, it's very easy to work on.

I didn't see them on his merchandising page, but if you're interested, go to his site http://www.skeltontribute.com and shoot him an email.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
For themed Birthday Parties, I have bought mouse pads and given them to the birthday person.

I also use Patrick P(Please buy a vowel) for formal settings. I use his very bright colored ones.

It is a great product from a very nice man.

He recently one the close up S.A.M. contest in Vegas.

Usually when I work, I do not use a pad. Just peoples hands or the stage in front of my chest.(for more visibility)

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
Just a note: Genii had a tribute to Ross Bertram that featured a close-up pad he made. There was a gimmick built into the pad that allowed you to steal a coin as you set the pad down.

Does anyone use this?
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Anyone know where to buy a small close up carpet similar to the one Eugene Burger uses in his videos? It looks like a minature flying carpet.

I like the idea that it folds in thirds to an approximate size of 12" x 4" or at least that what it looks like.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2955 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I wouldn't bother spending your money on the Dean Dill Pad with loaders under it. The same exact concept can be accomplished by having a hard close up mat handing a fraction of an inch off of the table. As for me, I used a close up mat similar to a mouse pad except bigger. It works well but I'm planning on getting a new one with a bit more cusion so its easier to pick cards from it (I have really short nails). If you do table hopping, get a hard close up pad and pick up Scott Guinn's Table Hopper's Friend. Check it out on his website.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
What's the perfect pad? Depends on your application.

I own two Dean Dill pads.... They are well made and are perfect for more classy, sit down close up shows. They are designed with the perfect cushioning for coin work. You won't regreat going with one of Dean's pads... and he makes them to custom sizes as well.

I also have a variety of cheap pads in various sizes hanging around that I got from my local magic shop... fairly thin with a rubber backing.

The mouse pad size is great for strolling but usually I perfer to work only out of my pockets when I'm strolling or doing table magic.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Aperazor
View Profile
Loyal user
Akron,Ohio
244 Posts

Profile of Aperazor
Just my experience from a beginner here for consideration.
I had bought a closeup pad from my magic shop for very reasonable but just seemed kind of cheap and two soft.
I also wanted something a little bigger, I had seen posts about the Super Mouse mat from Staples and they looked perfect and for about $8.00.
I went and got one at it is very nice, but for someone who is just starting out in coins like myself it is more difficult to work with than the softer one was. I also notice that the harder surface tends to leave the cards visibly raised when loading coins as well as a tell tale thump when loading for someone who hasn't quite got expert control yet.
If I get another one I will look for something with a softer surface than the mouse pad has.
For now I'm planning on covering these.Just thought I would throw it into the mix of opinions.
Nick
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
I really can't emphasize enough to try making your own. It is simple, affordable, and you can customize it with all the loaders, or magnets etc you could ever want. I made a formal pad with a 18 x 24 wooden frame(A.C. Moore / $8 on sale, 3/16 inch birch ply backing(home depot / $4, 1/4 inch foam backing and black velvet(JoAnn Fabrics / about $10.

Okay, maybe you'd rather not make it, but my point is you can make a VERY NICE pad for about $20-$25 customized to your design. Have Fun!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
After watching the "champagne act" that won at FISM in the early 90's I have been thinking about building a special theatre with holders for special Nearly Normal Events.

I can't recall the French Magician, but the organization and thought as well as "back stage" of his close up unit were very interesting.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Gee, I have a mouse pad at my fingertips for 8+ hours a day, and somehow it never occurred to me to use it as a close up pad. (Thanks, Pete!) I agree that it's so familiar that it's unlikely to raise suspicions, and certainly easy to locate and gaff. Best tip I've gotten all week.
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Harris,
The magician you mention is Jean Pierre Vallarino. You can now get his "Champagne Act" on DVD, as well as his new DVD "Rendez-Vous".
I saw him in December, he is well worth looking out for.
Owen
santlerconjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of santlerconjurer
The Bob James folding close up mat is the best.

http://www.bobjamesmagic.com/